Week 6 GDT: We’re Going Swimming with the Dolphins

turtle28

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's been a proven long term strategy in major league baseball.  Even the Nationals did it when they were drafting Harper, Strasburg and Rendon. 

1. This isnt baseball

2. That was under prior management. 

3. The Nats didn't trade young talent

Edited by Slateman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's been a proven long term strategy in major league baseball.  Even the Nationals did it when they were drafting Harper, Strasburg and Rendon. 

No they didn’t. The Nationals had nothing. The farm system was completely depleted by MLB ownership by the time we got them. 

1 minute ago, Slateman said:

1. This isnt baseball

2. That was under prior management. 

3. The Nats didn't trade young talent

But they didn't add any talent either.  

And yes, this isn't baseball, but you have a team trying to emulate this now, and I am surprised that it's taken this long for it to happen.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

But they didn't add any talent either.  

And yes, this isn't baseball, but you have a team trying to emulate this now, and I am surprised that it's taken this long for it to happen.  

I mean, they tried it just didn’t work out. Marrero was a disaster and Crow wouldn’t sign. The team simply had no talent other than Zimm and Desmond when Rizzo took over. He built it from the ground up. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, they tried it just didn’t work out. Marrero was a disaster and Crow wouldn’t sign. The team simply had no talent other than Zimm and Desmond when Rizzo took over. He built it from the ground up. 

Right, but it was built by being terrible on the field.  That is how they got so many early round picks They didn't go out and spend money on free agents to try and rush the window.  When the window was opening was when they brought in Jayson Werth to bring leadership tp the clubhouse.  The Cubs and Astros took it a step further by trading away just about all of their major league talent that wasn't pre-arbitration, setting that precedent to "tanking."