Are the Chiefs and Rams in trouble?

Slingin' Sammy

I dont think neither team is in trouble. They are just going through a rough patch right now. I cant speak in terms of the schedule for the Chiefs but the next month the Rams have the Falcons, Bengals, BYE, then Steelers. The Falcons game could be a shootout but I do expect the Rams offense to get right against the Falcons bad defense so pencil in 30pts at least. If the Rams win that game then I expect them to beat a struggling Bengals team then coming off a BYE against the Rudolph/Hodges led Steelers team. So the Rams could be sitting here (6-3) after the Steelers game and everyone will have forgotten the Rams were (3-3) at this point. 

As a matter of fact I pointed it out that if you look at the last two NFC teams that went to the Superbowl (Falcons and Eagles), both teams started the following season (3-3) but ended up getting into the playoffs as a wildcard and going on the road and winning in the playoffs. The Falcons in 2017 went to LA and beat the Rams and the Eagles last season went to Chicago and beat the Bears. So Im not panicking over the Rams. They were a missed field goal away last week from being (4-2) even with this loss yesterday. Then in context, if I was to say the Rams score 40pts at home against the Bucs and only allow 20pts and 99yds rushing to Kyle Shanahan led offense whom was averaging 200yds rushing coming into the game, you would say the Rams win both those games. So again Im not panicking. These next 3 games though I do believe will decide the Rams season. Again if the Rams can beat the Falcons, Bengals, and Steelers (coming off a BYE) the Rams will be sitting at (6-3) in great shape. 

Edited by stl4life07

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

I dont think neither team is in trouble. They are just going through a rough patch right now. I cant speak in terms of the schedule for the Chiefs but the next month the Rams have the Falcons, Bengals, BYE, then Steelers. The Falcons game could be a shootout but I do expect the Rams offense to get right against the Falcons bad defense so pencil in 30pts at least. If the Rams win that game then I expect them to beat a struggling Bengals team then coming off a BYE against the Rudolph/Hodges led Steelers team. So the Rams can easily be sitting here (6-3) after the Steelers game and everyone will have forgotten the Rams were (3-3) at this point. 

As a matter of fact I pointed it out that if you look at the last two NFC teams that went to the Superbowl (Falcons and Eagles), both teams started the following season (3-3) but ended up getting into the playoffs as a wildcard and going on the road and winning in the playoffs. The Falcons in 2017 went to LA and beat the Rams and the Eagles last season went to Chicago and beat the Bears. So Im not panicking over the Rams. They were a missed field goal away last week from being (4-2) even with this loss yesterday. Then in context, if I was to say the Rams score 40pts at home against the Bucs and only allow 20pts and 99yds rushing to Kyle Shanahan led offense whom was averaging 200yds rushing coming into the game, you would say the Rams win both those games. So again Im not panicking. These next 3 games though I do believe will decide the Rams season. Again if the Rams can beat the Falcons, Bengals, and Steelers (coming off a BYE) the Rams will be sitting at (6-3) in great shape. 

You'll beat those, be 6-3, but still be without a peak Gurley, a below average (to be slightly generous) OL which is hampering everything that made LA an elite team last season. Did the Eagles and Falcons of previous years have such a set of impediments? Maybe they did, I can't remember. They also had (esp in PHI's case) a QB that came right back with similar form - Wentz when he was healthy was still good. You'd be struggling to say Goff has picked up where he left off from last season's overall form.

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You'll beat those, be 6-3, but still be without a peak Gurley, a below average (to be slightly generous) OL which is hampering everything that made LA an elite team last season. Did the Eagles and Falcons of previous years have such a set of impediments? Maybe they did, I can't remember. They also had (esp in PHI's case) a QB that came right back with similar form - Wentz when he was healthy was still good. You'd be struggling to say Goff has picked up where he left off from last season's overall form.

Well last season I said I thought the Eagles would start off slowly then pick things up as the season goes on and make the playoffs. I didnt think the same three seasons ago with the Falcons just because I thought the loss of Kyle would hurt that offense. The Eagles last season was hurt on the oline, had no running game, and the defense was banged up in the secondary. Its a stretch to say Wentz came back to form last season because he hasnt been the same in terms of playing like an MVP before he got hurt in 2017. He hasnt been terrible like some make it seem but he hasnt been right back to similar form because he was basically the MVP before he got hurt and now he is far far from that. Which btw the Eagles arent looking so good themselves. Fortunately for them the Cowboys are back down to earth being (3-3) so nobody is running away with that division. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Well last season I said I thought the Eagles would start off slowly then pick things up as the season goes on and make the playoffs. I didnt think the same three seasons ago with the Falcons just because I thought the loss of Kyle would hurt that offense. The Eagles last season was hurt on the oline, had no running game, and the defense was banged up in the secondary. Its a stretch to say Wentz came back to form last season because he hasnt been the same in terms of playing like an MVP before he got hurt in 2017. He hasnt been terrible like some make it seem but he hasnt been right back to similar form because he was basically the MVP before he got hurt and now he is far far from that. Which btw the Eagles arent looking so good themselves. Fortunately for them the Cowboys are back down to earth being (3-3) so nobody is running away with that division. 

So..back to the Rams. You said it's just a rough patch, and they'll be fine. So what is fine? It sounds like you're saying the expectation is to just make the playoffs - but this is the modern day Rams. You're supposed to be the best NFC team - like last season. I'd have thought 'fine' would be more than just 1 and done?

14 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So..back to the Rams. You said it's just a rough patch, and they'll be fine. So what is fine? It sounds like you're saying the expectation is to just make the playoffs - but this is the modern day Rams. You're supposed to be the best NFC team - like last season. I'd have thought 'fine' would be more than just 1 and done?

Fine for me is the Rams making the playoffs then seeing what happens from there. If the Rams cant win the division then getting the wildcard spot is the goal. Just get into the playoffs. So yes my expectations are for the Rams to just get into the playoffs. Did I think they would be a 1 or 2 seed before the season started? Yes but things constantly change throughout the season. Thats with really most teams in the league. The division isnt completely off the table for the Rams but its close. The wildcard spot is still wide open for them though. 

Not sure what to think.

But I'm pretty sure without looking that the Rams have played the toughest schedule in the NFL thus far. I figured on being around 5-3 going into the bye - which is a possibility if they can get it together against Atlanta and Cincinnati.

The optics are what makes it look bad - offense and defense have taken turns looking like non-NFL caliber units.

Both are in trouble. Both teams had Super Bowl hopes and both are right now in position to be without a 1st round bye (Rams not even in playoffs or close to division win). 

Chiefs have a lot more upside as most of their problems will be solved by getting healthy. Rams have no chance to improve unless the offensive line play can get to close to league average for the rest of the season. I doubt there are available linemen to add so it is going to be dependent on internal development/scheming to work out the kinks. 

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

Both are in trouble. Both teams had Super Bowl hopes and both are right now in position to be without a 1st round bye (Rams not even in playoffs or close to division win). 

Chiefs have a lot more upside as most of their problems will be solved by getting healthy. Rams have no chance to improve unless the offensive line play can get to close to league average for the rest of the season. I doubt there are available linemen to add so it is going to be dependent on internal development/scheming to work out the kinks. 

Their offensive problems will mostly be solved by getting healthy. 

Their defense is actually worse than last year and I really don't see it getting good enough to sustain a SB run. At least last year they had a pretty good trio of pass rushers with Jones, Ford and Houston. This year it's pretty much just Chris Jones as Frank Clark has been pretty bad. Secondary is still terrible and any team that has a bit of talent on offense can easily just dominate TOP and keep Mahomes off the field. I think the problem that they will also have is that their offense being banged up will ultimately cost them a bye which has basically been a requirement to make the SB the last 7 years or so.

Edited by Bolts223

20 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The Chiefs have quietly done a horrific job taking advantage of low cap numbers for Mahomes. The roster construction is flat out bad. It hasn't been noticed because Mahomes has been unstoppable most of this run. 

Well this is officially the dumbest comment in this thread.  After paying for Peyton Manning, the Broncos went to two superbowls and won one because of their defense.  Your argument about the cap was proven wrong by YOUR OWN TEAM.  2016 was not that long ago.  HOLY EFF it's not that hard to remember is it??

2 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

Well this is officially the dumbest comment in this thread.  After paying for Peyton Manning, the Broncos went to two superbowls and won one because of their defense.  Your argument about the cap was proven wrong by YOUR OWN TEAM.  2016 was not that long ago.  HOLY EFF it's not that hard to remember is it??

QB contracts have way inflated since then. PM never made more than $18,000,000 a year in any of his seasons with the Broncos. Mahomes could make more than double that per year.

Edited by Bolts223

16 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

It's really not that serious. 

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

QB contracts have way inflated since then. PM never made more than $18,000,000 a year in any of his seasons with the Broncos. Mahomes could make more than double that per year.

You need to list some examples because I'm not doing the legwork to prove you wrong.  This is the kind of horse hockey that fans of teams with a bad QB situation tell themselves to feel better about the situation they're in.

4 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

You need to list some examples because I'm not doing the legwork to prove you wrong.  This is the kind of horse hockey that fans of teams with a bad QB situation tell themselves to feel better about the situation they're in.

I literally just told you that PM never made more than $18,000,000 a year. We aren't allowed to post links on this site but I will type out his salaries during his Broncos tenure for you to see. If you want to fact check me literally just google, "Peyton Manning Cap hits" and it'll come up right away.

2012: $18,000,000

2013: $15,000,000

2014: $15,000,000

2015: $15,000,000

Compare that to the contract Aaron Rodgers just signed that is giving him an average of 33.5 mil/year over 4 years.

Mahomes being a bit younger and better at this point is looking to get 35-40 mil a year.

Point being - Mahomes is going to make 20 mil + more a year than Peyton Manning did. That's like 2 pro-bowl caliber free agents at other positions.

Edited by Bolts223

26 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Their offensive problems will mostly be solved by getting healthy. 

Their defense is actually worse than last year and I really don't see it getting good enough to sustain a SB run. At least last year they had a pretty good trio of pass rushers with Jones, Ford and Houston. This year it's pretty much just Chris Jones as Frank Clark has been pretty bad. Secondary is still terrible and any team that has a bit of talent on offense can easily just dominate TOP and keep Mahomes off the field. I think the problem that they will also have is that their offense being banged up will ultimately cost them a bye which has basically been a requirement to make the SB the last 7 years or so.

I don't disagree with most of this but I do think that if the offense regains form that they are a top 5 Super Bowl contender.