Succession - *spoiler warning from ET + Ty*

Ty21

12 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I was actually advertising this show all day at work Sunday to my customers to get them into it. I said it sounds like a boring premise but it’s easily my favorite show on right now. Actually had a few customers that had seen it already and we talked about it for a while. One of the few shows I could talk to people for a half hour about if I got started on it. 

Yeah, I've been pushing it to everyone I know - we were talking about it at the gym this morning, it's such a great show.

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I already have so many podcasts I’m behind on why’d you have to show me this 😂

I listened to the first 25 mins of it before getting pulled away. It’s just talking to a former White House communications director. It’s interesting, but doesn’t have much of anything to do with breaking down the episode outside of embracing how realistic it is lol. 

• Like 1

Very good 2nd episode...

- Watching this plan crumble around Ken as he's working it is typical Kendall. Nothing he says is wrong; Ambitious? Yeah. But his takes on everything in his new world seems legit. But he simply cannot sell his vision to others, mostly because his vision has HIM in it.

- Shiv and Roman were basically playing tennis with their insults on Kendall's plan; They saw the validity and kept an idea on how they fit into it, and it WAS appealing... IF you took Kendall out of the picture. But, Kendall IS the picture, which only elicits laughter from those two.

- I REALLY thought Conner would jump on board, he was complicit to what Kendall was saying and was also very skeptical on what Logan tried to tell him about being #1. But... it's Kendall, so of course it's a flawed idea.

- Logan sending those donuts? Brilliant. If his children are nowhere to be found at this time... only one thing is crystal clear, they're all together. What better way to let the kids know that daddy's home then by sending them some food to chew on while figuring things out?

- Only thing better than donuts is a Trojan Horse. I'm pretty sure I'm Team Stewy/Sandy. (And how much of an egotistical maniac do you have to be to name your daughter after yourself?)

- Greg and Ewan might be the most dangerous combination to Waystar Royco. They're not interested in defending Greg from the fallout, they want to get in and expose EVERYTHING. Given what we know about Ewan, he's found a lawyer who will rip the company to shreds to get as much dirt as possible; This realistically is a fourth faction - not interested in the same things as Team Kendall/Team Logan or Team Sandy, but opposed to each of them, simply because they want to see it all burn to hell.

- I get the feeling that Gerri likes Roman, but she's not afraid to use him as body armor if needed. What better way to keep Logan from executing her than his youngest son? (Logan would still execute both, IMO).

- Tom and Shiv are done. He's saying what he has to say to keep his ear close to the action, but as soon as this is done, he's leaving her.

- Tom needs to take notes from Marcia if he leaves. Holy hell, she's going to be making herself a golden parachute, establishing herself as the head of the family trust, set her kids up for beyond their lifetimes... and is doing so while keeping Logan on a string. She's beyond ruthless, incredibly opportunistic, vengeful and knows when to twist a knife. She (moreso than the kids) will be the end of Logan.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Watching this plan crumble around Ken as he's working it is typical Kendall. Nothing he says is wrong; Ambitious? Yeah. But his takes on everything in his new world seems legit. But he simply cannot sell his vision to others, mostly because his vision has HIM in it.

- Shiv and Roman were basically playing tennis with their insults on Kendall's plan; They saw the validity and kept an idea on how they fit into it, and it WAS appealing... IF you took Kendall out of the picture. But, Kendall IS the picture, which only elicits laughter from those two.

Idk if that’s it or if they’re all so stubborn and driven by their own visions of stardom and power that they’ll never let one step over the other. Maybe not a specific dig on Kendall. 

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

I REALLY thought Conner would jump on board, he was complicit to what Kendall was saying and was also very skeptical on what Logan tried to tell him about being #1. But... it's Kendall, so of course it's a flawed idea.

Conner is incapable of actually thinking for himself (hope at some point it explains why he’s a broken lost doofus lol) and I feel like he felt out the vibes of the room and made his decision from there. I feel like the #1 kid statement tickled him but idk how he actually took it. 

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Logan sending those donuts? Brilliant. If his children are nowhere to be found at this time... only one thing is crystal clear, they're all together. What better way to let the kids know that daddy's home then by sending them some food to chew on while figuring things out?

*than

Simply sending doughnuts won him the battle without even being there. 

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

(And how much of an egotistical maniac do you have to be to name your daughter after yourself?)

Very, actually. My grandpa did that. 

Ewan is such a tricky character. He’s had several opportunities to sink his brother but always backs out cause he doesn’t want to do it dishonorably. Or maybe the opportunists weren’t as sure fire as the schemers thought and this will finally be a more concentrated attack for. Who knows. I don’t know where his real morality lies. 

If Tom truly leaves, he will have grown the most of any character in the show besides maybe Kendall. Finally showing signs of being a strong person and not just a toxic goof.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Maybe my fav ep of the season. Things aren’t looking good for Kendall or Logan right now but they’re just setting up a massive season finale moment. 

- I didn't comment last week, but if Succession was a football game, Shiv just made the play of the game with that open "please respect our privacy" letter outlining where Kendall is delusional. Shiv cut Kendall at the knees, he has no response to her message that paints him in a good light.

Kendall is not wrong on thinking their relationship is done. From this point on, they're enemies until one dies (figuratively... or literally, for that matter).

More on yesterday's episode coming up shortly.

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

- I didn't comment last week, but if Succession was a football game, Shiv just made the play of the game with that open "please respect our privacy" letter outlining where Kendall is delusional. Shiv cut Kendall at the knees, he has no response to her message that paints him in a good light.

Kendall is not wrong on thinking their relationship is done. From this point on, they're enemies until one dies (figuratively... or literally, for that matter).

More on yesterday's episode coming up shortly.

I wonder if that letter creates a dynamic between the two similar to Logan and Ewan 

• Like 1

This episode was perhaps the best episode this show has put out. An incredible, tense and thrilling look into the last second deals that make or break the biggest companies in the world.

Since Ep 1.1, we've been hearing about The Shareholders' Meeting, and we finally got it... and the intensity of the situation did not let up until well after the credits. Every single player in the game played a key role (including the one guy who was AWOL).

I'm re-watching again, so I'll have a better breakdown, but the one thing that I think is going to be seismic in terms of the future? The foreshadowing of a Roy/Furness alliance...

• Like 1

“Can you sue your grandparent but in a loving way” -Greg

”I’ll talk to the little *****, here” -Connor, about the President 

**** me lmao 

Edited by Ty21
  • Like 1

A lot to digest in the episode.

-I guess Shiv’s letter about Kendall was his death knell, although he was backpedaling the whole season and either getting in his own way or facing constant hurdles. I was wondering if it was setting him up for a chaotic upset where he signs a deal with the devil or something in order to win. He was never supposed to win though. Wonder if he becomes a junkie again. 

-Tom is the strangest character in the show, where I kinda pull for him out of pity and compassion but also think he’s a bit of a freak lol. I’m curious if he dodges prison. 

-Shiv has been a subtle MVP for keeping things moving. She neutered Kendall with a simple letter and enabled the deal that keeps her family in power, albeit kinda handing the reigns to Stewie and Sandy finally. I wonder what happens with the extra board seat cause I don’t think she gets it. 

-The only way to undermine Logan in this episode in a way that doesn’t make him appear weak is to pull him out of contention by giving him a UTI. He stays in power now but we’ll see what he does with it. 

-I’m kinda relieved the power struggle to be the boss is over now. Very very interested to see what it looks like moving forward in the show now that the Roy’s are in bed with the enemy. 

-Shiv and Roman bullying Kendall out of the room kinda broke my heart. He’s such a lost little puppy. 

-Greg continues to be the funniest character of the show, accidental Nathan Fielder-esque. It’s refreshing having a character that clearly has no idea how the business works and not growing up inside it, just a doofus that got to nepotism his way in and fake it til he makes it. Going from wanting to sue his own grandfather for an inheritance he’s not even owed to wanting to sue Greenpeace for it is his best disposition yet. 

• Like 1