Succession - *spoiler warning from ET + Ty*

Ty21

The deal included never allowing one of Logan’s kids to become CEO (Stewie/Sandy have veto power there) so this was Kendall’s last stand. I’m most curious what happens to him as his intended empire crashes down. His girlfriend is a part of Pierce but they’d never let Kendall in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Greg continues to be the funniest character of the show, accidental Nathan Fielder-esque. It’s refreshing having a character that clearly has no idea how the business works and not growing up inside it, just a doofus that got to nepotism his way in and fake it til he makes it. Going from wanting to sue his own grandfather for an inheritance he’s not even owed to wanting to sue Greenpeace for it is his best disposition yet. 

Probably the greatest point to make of Greg’s character is that he’d be in a better place financially if he’d stayed a mascot at the amusement park until his grandpa died rather than finessing his way into a higher up position in the company. Taking initiative never does anything but hurt people. 

• Like 1

Thoughts, thoughts galore:

- This entire episode was so tense from beginning to end. Both team Logan, team Kendall (whatever is left of it) and team Sandy/Sandi/Stewy were really nervous on how things would play out. None of them had the leverage to lose, it would be catastrophic for everyone had this gone to a vote.

- Connor Roy is becoming a very interesting character. He's got absolutely nothing he could leverage in regards to skills and abilities, but walks around with an air of superiority to everyone around him. Whenever he's told "no" (whether it be including Willa in Shiv's family wedding pics or getting two minutes to chat with Logan before the biggest meeting of their lives) he goes on a spoiled brat rant, promising to go full frontal for everyone to see in some capacity. I think he'll start fighting hard for his slice of pie, specifically targeting that European cable he was "promised" to get... and someone is eventually going to call him out on his empty threats (I'm banking on Roman, TBH).

- Speaking of Roman, he's going willfully obtuse on Logan and his incompetencies, all while alienating his only real ally - Gerri. Gerri is selling him up as this uber talented COO to Shareholders (which he's not, every shareholder knows that) but he's more focused on private jets and the right of first refusal on the kiddos getting the CEO gig, all while saying "dad knows best..."

- Shiv continues on her MVP path, she took charge in the situation and wasn't standing still for anything or anyone. Dad has a UTI? Tom, call a doctor and check his meds, I ain't got time for em. Kendall in the room? Ok, told you to get out, you're not needed, get out. Connor, head of Euro Cable? No, dad was clearly out of his mind starting at THAT specific moment. Sandi, four board seats? Give us an extra board seat and here's my number, let's BFF this thing out. Tom, you wanna put a baby in me? That's a negative, Major Tom.

- Shiv/Sandi is the power tandem that's going to be hard to shake. This is what Stewy/Kendall would have looked like had Kendall not killed that guy in a car accident; Highly leveraged with cash, with strong bloodlines to convince the Josh Aaronsons' of the world on what they need to back. In addition, both Shiv and Sandi are seem as mouthpieces for their incapacitated dads; But they're both highly intelligent and capable on their own, so they will absolutely leverage the Roy/Furness name if they need to, if only to get what they want out of everything. It's possible these two could just end up hating each other, but I see this as an alignment that others will have to reckon with.

- Greater moment - Logan thinking there's a dead cat under his chair, or Colin taking said dead cat from under the chair in a paper bag? Yes to both.

- Kendall is too obsessed with the social temperature now and finds himself locked out of Waystar. His random appearance on stage, naming victims and announcing a support group for victims of Uncle Mo? It had some serious Kanye vibes to it. He's winning minor battles, I guess - the Twitteratti probably loves him (and hates him because Twitter is simply stupid like that). But he's losing the war that matters, ultimately. This being said, Kendall has a nuclear option he can play, and the E6 preview hinted at him playing it...

- I sincerely do not like Karl. Ran away like a scalded dog when he was due up for the Shareholders Meeting, sat on the sidelines while Shiv made the plays to get the deal done, but WHO announces the settlement? Karl is trash, worthless outside of a game of Boar on the Floor. He'll end up winning this game, I think.

- Really, the only one of the lackeys who I like is Frank, and even he's somebody not worth liking.

- Greg... you need to take yourself seriously, kid. 

- Dementia is absolutely scary and horrible to see. Sandy Furness was a badass, would hit up orgies to make business proposals, didn't flinch when Kendall dropped his threat from his dad (in fact, the "good... well, let's move ahead with that process... shall we?" is the baddest declaration of war I have ever heard, anywhere). To see that same guy, vegged out, confined to a wheelchair and mumbling incoherently to his daughter is both sad... and scary. 

Final three episodes have me on edge. The initial threat of the Shareholders Meeting is done, but the enemy has breached the gates and have four chairs at the table. Shiv is firmly in control, Roman is loyal, Greg is suing Greenpeace and Tom is really convinced he's going to prison. Now, the Roy family move onto their next act... picking the replacement for The Raisin.

THAT'S not going to be a cluster... right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

- Kendall is too obsessed with the social temperature now and finds himself locked out of Waystar. His random appearance on stage, naming victims and announcing a support group for victims of Uncle Mo? It had some serious Kanye vibes to it. He's winning minor battles, I guess - the Twitteratti probably loves him (and hates him because Twitter is simply stupid like that). But he's losing the war that matters, ultimately. This being said, Kendall has a nuclear option he can play, and the E6 preview hinted at him playing it...

One other point on Kendall - he's absolutely delusional. From the minute he walked up to the meeting, he felt he was the guy to bring this together. He had an in with Stewy (which he flaunted to Frank) and he had an in with Frank (which he told Stewy).

The reality was - Stewy and Frank aren't decision makers on this, and having an in with them is nothing more than a gossip line. Stewy was going to go to the negotiation table the entire time on behalf of the vegetable, Frank was going talk at the podium knowing that there was a deal to be made... not because Kendall told them the temperature, but because Sandy/Sandi and Stewy had been negotiating with Karl/Gerri for what seems like 2-3 days straight. The desire was there to negotiate on both sides, and both sides knew what they wanted. Kendall was... just there... for no reason really.

Kendall coming in to the room and screaming "you're not going to screw up everything I've worked for!" is equal parts hubris of his own efforts, mixed with a false sense of accomplishment. He thinks of himself as the guy behind the wheel... but this wheel has been turning for several months while Kendall was doing red carpet events with his billionaire girlfriend and seeing what the Twitteratti had to say about him...

That's about as delusional as one can get.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

One other point on Kendall - he's absolutely delusional. From the minute he walked up to the meeting, he felt he was the guy to bring this together. He had an in with Stewy (which he flaunted to Frank) and he had an in with Frank (which he told Stewy).

The reality was - Stewy and Frank aren't decision makers on this, and having an in with them is nothing more than a gossip line. Stewy was going to go to the negotiation table the entire time on behalf of the vegetable, Frank was going talk at the podium knowing that there was a deal to be made... not because Kendall told them the temperature, but because Sandy/Sandi and Stewy had been negotiating with Karl/Gerri for what seems like 2-3 days straight. The desire was there to negotiate on both sides, and both sides knew what they wanted. Kendall was... just there... for no reason really.

Kendall coming in to the room and screaming "you're not going to screw up everything I've worked for!" is equal parts hubris of his own efforts, mixed with a false sense of accomplishment. He thinks of himself as the guy behind the wheel... but this wheel has been turning for several months while Kendall was doing red carpet events with his billionaire girlfriend and seeing what the Twitteratti had to say about him...

That's about as delusional as one can get.

Poor guy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Bull****, Boar on the Floor.

Brian Cox Game GIF by SuccessionHBO

Pardon My Take always offers commentary on the show. “We’re now going on ten straight episodes where Shiv falls for thinking she can impress her dad” lol. They had another funny insight I can’t think of off the top of my head 

• Like 1

Hard to top last weeks' episode, but this one had some S1 vibes to it - laying down the groundwork that'll pay off big in S5 or S6. This time instead of the payoff being the Shareholders Meeting, it'll be Super Tuesday...

The thought of this show going fully into the election cycle ...and seeing that play out from both a media perspective as well as a "hand that rocks the cradle" position that's afforded to the Roy family? That is going to be spectacular.

Full writeup tomorrow, after a 2nd watch...

On 11/21/2021 at 10:29 PM, ET80 said:

Full writeup tomorrow, after a 2nd watch...

(Ron Howard Narrator voice: Neither the 2nd watch or the writeup would happen).

I believe Kieran Culkin should be nominated for an Emmy, because holy moly - you can't help but to want to punch his teeth out when he's on a roll as a heel. I'm sure he's a nice guy (he was nice enough as Kevin McCallister's bed wetting cousin) but man... I want to implant my fist into his skull.

More to break down...

(Ron Howard Narrator voice: Nothing would be broken down).

There is a lot I am still processing and a lot I want to talk about specific to this episode, to season 3 and to the entire journey of the Roy family... But I want to get this one thing out of the way right now (and I'll do so in spoiler form to not mess anything up for anyone who is catching up):

Spoiler

So, in my own personal assessment - there are two quintessential scenes from TV, scenes that can only be described as "perfect" scenes, where that moment is more than television, it becomes art in a sense:

1. Game of Thrones: Tyrion Lannister's "I demand a trial by combat" speech.

2. Breaking Bad: Jessie Pinkman's "The Great Heisenberg" monologue.

There are a few more... but I have these two scenes as the best scenes in TV history, an amazing performance from everyone in front of and behind the camera.

The S3 finale of Succession had TWO scenes that compare to the two above:

1. Kendall's confession:

2. The Roy kids' Last Stand/It was Tom all along (here's part of it).

In a word - these two scenes were incredible. Perhaps the pinnacle of what has been a show that is quickly ascending as a transcendent television show, one that is on the same footing as Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones as far as great TV.

This show is the best show on TV by far, with no real competition in sight. This past episode is probably the best episode to date, across all three seasons - and there have been some great episodes in there to choose from.

• Like 2