Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Should probably #LockeTheThread lol

beekay414

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Would you guys rather have Brennan Armstrong for a chance to compete in 2023 and win the West division (who knows how much longer that last) and revisit QB again next offseason or land Nick Evers for multiple seasons with the risk that he may be nothing but prospect hype?

I'm totally torn at this point.

It seems like the real answer is both, but I'd say go upside. It's not a multiple season commitment when we've got the portal next year too if we want.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Y'all got a pretty good QB. Then again, I thought Mertz would be good so I'm not here to jinx anyone

I mean, I'm not trying to dump on the kid because he's talented, but it's a bit of a red flag when Oklahoma opted to roll with Devis Beville as QB2 when the season was clearly over.  Beville is/was a mediocre QB.  And it was pretty clear he was going to be passed up on the DC this next season with Jackson Arnold coming to campus.

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I'm not trying to dump on the kid because he's talented, but it's a bit of a red flag when Oklahoma opted to roll with Devis Beville as QB2 when the season was clearly over.  Beville is/was a mediocre QB.  And it was pretty clear he was going to be passed up on the DC this next season with Jackson Arnold coming to campus.

They picked a 4 year JR over a true frosh as a backup QB? Huge red flag they picked a 22 year old kid over an 18 year old for an irrelevant non-starting position. 🙄

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

They picked a 4 year JR over a true frosh as a backup QB? Huge red flag they picked a 22 year old kid over an 18 year old for an irrelevant non-starting position. 🙄

Guess we gotta jettison Myles Burkett considering the staff picked Chase Wolf over him.

19 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I was more or less going with the fact that Oklahoma was 3-2 at that point which effectively eliminated from Big 12 title contention at that point.  And it was more about how bad Davis Beville looked against TCU.  A "road" game to start off your college career probably wouldn't have gone well, but there's a legitimate train of thought that the Sooners would have been better off going with Evers rather than Beville.  Again, not writing him off by any means, but Oklahoma took Beville who was legitimately awful over Evers.

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I was more or less going with the fact that Oklahoma was 3-2 at that point which effectively eliminated from Big 12 title contention at that point.  And it was more about how bad Davis Beville looked against TCU.  A "road" game to start off your college career probably wouldn't have gone well, but there's a legitimate train of thought that the Sooners would have been better off going with Evers rather than Beville.  Again, not writing him off by any means, but Oklahoma took Beville who was legitimately awful over Evers.

College coaches are weird. There's also reason to think that they saw no reason to burn his redshirt during a lost season. 

25 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

College coaches are weird. There's also reason to think that they saw no reason to burn his redshirt during a lost season. 

And that may very well be the case.  But given the way that RS rules are set up, you can get him into up to 4 games without burning his RS year.  He only got into 1 game, which was the closing minutes of the Texas game after it was already over.  You would have expected him to get some burn in mop-up duty against teams like UTEP or Nebraska.  But they chose not to.  I don't think it was a coincidence that the coaching staff didn't give him any opportunities.  LIS, I'm rooting for him since I feel like he went about the transfer process legitimately.  But I can't help but shake the feeling that he's just another former top prospect who is transferring and probably doesn't amount to much.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

And that may very well be the case.  But given the way that RS rules are set up, you can get him into up to 4 games without burning his RS year.  He only got into 1 game, which was the closing minutes of the Texas game after it was already over.  You would have expected him to get some burn in mop-up duty against teams like UTEP or Nebraska.  But they chose not to.  I don't think it was a coincidence that the coaching staff didn't give him any opportunities.  LIS, I'm rooting for him since I feel like he went about the transfer process legitimately.  But I can't help but shake the feeling that he's just another former top prospect who is transferring and probably doesn't amount to much.

I think you're flat out overthinking it. True freshman QBs rarely play, even with the new redshirt rules. Why don't we just wait and see what happens rather than jumping the gun and making assumptions? Different system, different coaching staff, different philosophies from Venables' staff to Fickell's.