Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Should probably #LockeTheThread lol

beekay414

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Couldn't that have been much more concisely stated as "start Mertz"

I think that much is obvious. I'm just legitimately trying to figure out what the hell goes into PC's thought process in regards to the QB position other than "start the older guy." You absolutely cannot love a guy as much as he's passing off, in regards to Coan, after the way he treated him during the 2018 season. 

If Coan struggles with Sparty and we barely survive that game, or even lose, you start Mertz vs Illinois to get him ready for Ohio State. Let's not wait until it's too damn late for this season to make the change. Would be a massive waste with such a talented team.

Edited by beekay414

Has Coan been bad enough that you'd sacrifice a season of 22 year old veteran Graham Mertz for a season of 18 year old growing pain Graham Mertz? Not yet.

Redshirting is tricky, you need to look at the opportunity cost of what you're giving up, and that's a season of said player as a grown man, versus the growing pain season where realistically he's still a kid.

I get this is probably his only chance to play with JT and Cephus but I'm not sure I take that trade-off unless the wheels fall off for Coan.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Has Coan been bad enough that you'd sacrifice a season of 22 year old veteran Graham Mertz for a season of 18 year old growing pain Graham Mertz? Not yet.

Redshirting is tricky, you need to look at the opportunity cost of what you're giving up, and that's a season of said player as a grown man, versus the growing pain season where realistically he's still a kid.

I get this is probably his only chance to play with JT and Cephus but I'm not sure I take that trade-off unless the wheels fall off for Coan.

We'll see how Coan looks vs Sparty. If he has another clunker vs a legit defense before facing Ohio State in CBus, I get worried. That defense is too talented to try to go in there and win the way we've been doing on offense. We need Coan to hit the shots that he hit vs CMU and even Michigan to some extent. He absolutely cannot look like he did vs Northwestern, otherwise we get boat raced.

And PC needs to help him out with his game plan. Otherwise, if he expects Coan to just hit the plays we've been running, we're getting 2014 B1G title boat raced.

Edited by beekay414

On 10/6/2019 at 9:21 AM, Packerraymond said:

Agree with what you're saying up until we start talking about him leaving early if he actually is all that. 

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Jonathan Taylor is goddamn unbelievable

That carry, right there, is the reason why he's the best we've ever had. He took a 2 yard gain and turned it into 12. His ability to wait for the hole, see the hole and make people miss in tight spaces is what makes him special. I don't care about his supposed inability to make people miss in the open field (which is a load of bull****), he's a complete RB.