MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

I think Ragin' Al can win. He just needs to fight like Woodley fought vs Maia except more aggressive in the striking deparment. I know he's not the wrestler Woodley is but he can't pressure forward willy nilly and give Khabib the easy TD.

I dunno. I obviously think Khabib will win but Al winning wouldn't shock me one bit. Dude is a really good fighter with arguably better wins on his resume than Khabib (Kevin Lee, Diego Sanchez, Jorge Masvidal, Joe Lauzon, Ross Pearson vs Edson Barboza, Rafael Dos Anjos, Michael Johnson, Pat Healy, Abel Trujillo). Obviously the RDA win is the best win of the bunch but the resumes are pretty comparable. Just depends on how you feel about Kevin Lee and Jorge Masvidal compared to RDA and Barboza.

1 hour ago, bkobow05 said:

You mean the Diaz that hasn't fought in 2 years and the same Eddie Alvarez that turned the fight down?

Bro, Pettis went to **** years ago and has been systematically broken down by every ranked fighter over the last few years. He's the Johnny Hendricks of the LW division, product of PED

9 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

flukey ko as in if they fought 10 times, the other guy would likely win at least 8 times. 

I guess so. To me a fluke win is your opponent tearing an ACL in an exchange. 

Had this debate with Rockhold/Bisping 2. People say "fluke", I say book is out on Rockholds arrogance and dropping his right hand during exchanges

16 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

What's a flukey KO ? Throwing a punch and accidently flooring your opponent ?

No flukes in combat sports bro. 

Anyone have early odds on AI / Khabib ?

Ya i would say mma might actually be the flukiest sport next to maybe basketball. No one goes through every fight without getting hit. Plenty of 99 times out of a hundred the knock out doesnt happen fights.

3 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

basketball is like the most predictable sport in america imo

Long run maybe but one game it can get flukey easy. Like one player being hot and winning a game kind of thing. Why march madness is well madness.

6 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I bet Barboza's numbers were comparable or better.

Yes. Iirc he stopped the last 16 out of 17 before Khabib. Actually stopped 9 of 13 of Khabib's. Just Khabib doesn't let people up when he gets them down. Khabib actually has a pretty average takedown %.

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Khabib actually has a pretty average takedown %

Which is probably misleading. I would compare it to getting offensive rebounds in basketball. If you get three O-boards on the same possession and finally score you shot 1-4 but still scored the most you could on that possession. Khabib will try a TD and not get it but he still has you in a grappling situation and he'll just try again. As long as you don't break free it is basically the same result.

37 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Bro, Pettis went to **** years ago and has been systematically broken down by every ranked fighter over the last few years. He's the Johnny Hendricks of the LW division, product of PED

el em ay oh

3 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

So how the hell do they determine that Pettis isn't fit to fight 5 rounds but Raging Al is? Really don't like the NYSAC. I get that they are doing their jobs but they are being a bit overzealous with it. Especially in regards to those that made weight like Felder and Pettis. I get not letting Max kill himself in his weight cut but telling people they aren't fit for 5 rounds? How in the blue hell would they know that? Khabib has never gone 5 rounds in his life. Pettis has. 

Checks where Al is from...

Makes sense to me

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

Don't they do physicals before/when they sign the contract for the fight? Seems odd that they didn't know Max's ankle wasn't good enough to go until the day before.

Could've just chose Ortega for the fill in and all would be fine.

Yea thats a real shame. Ortega would have made for a much better and more exciting fight imo

Archived