Martial Arts

fretgod99

A lot of people here know I teach (taekwondo, krav maga) and train (bjj) martial arts. I think it'd be cool to have a thread for people who train, teach, or are interested in martial arts to get some info, share training tips, chat with fellow practitioners, etc.

So what do you train? What do you want to train? Favorite techniques?

I love a good BJJ session, shortly following an intense Greco-Roman wrestling match with my bro's. ET is great at opening his hips nice and wide for me, which comes in handy more times than you could imagine. If you're feeling tightness I'd suggest just relaxing and spending a few Sunday nights with us bro's. We'll open you up real nice a loose.

Wrestled throughout high school and college and took Judo and BJJ whenever I could to help with different situations. 

I teach wrestling at an MMA gym when I have time and always try and get a good grappling session in whenever I can, truly is an unbelievable workout. Grappling has always been my strong suit, just came naturally to me. I honestly think me doing gymnastics when I was younger is a huge part of it, considering balance and controlling your body/hip positioning is such a large part of BJJ/grappling in general.

I really want to get into Muay Thai, my hands are definitely the weakest part of my MMA experience/skill. 

I'm actually a 2nd degree black belt in TKD. Grew up and trained with Steven Lopez, the gold medal winner in TKD at the Olympics.

(It was close to 18 years ago, so don't think any of that is still something I can whip out at a moment's notice).

Enrolling both kids in a martial art form when they're old enough.

19 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Any hesitation as far as putting them in a primarily-striking martial art?

Eh, my son... maybe. Given his overall temperament and condition (he's on the low end of the Autism spectrum) a full on striking form would be asking too much from him. 

My daughter on the other hand - well, we joke that "Emma" really stands for "Evolution of Mixed Martial Arts". She's a striker. She actually had a black eye on the day she was born, no lie. She's given my wife a black eye as well (that was an awkward few weeks out in public).

There's a Shao Lin school right behind our neighborhood I'm probably going to enroll both in. Son can focus on Tai Chi, forms, weapons demonstration training while the daughter takes San Da (Chinese kickboxing).

16 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

honestly think me doing gymnastics when I was younger is a huge part of it, considering balance and controlling your body/hip positioning is such a large part of BJJ/grappling in general.

Undoubtedly. Body awareness, understanding weight distribution, balance, etc. is huge in ground fighting (as you obviously know) and gymnastics would certainly help develop those skills. I danced in elementary and middle school. It undoubtedly made me a better athlete later in life.

On 7/18/2017 at 3:41 PM, fretgod99 said:

If I have kids, I'm really thinking about bjj early. Body awareness is huge and I think it does a lot to help people overcome potential physical disadvantages.

We're looking into bjj for our older 2 sons (9 and 6). We're also thinking about karate and tkd. Any recommendation for one over the rest? My wife is leaning more toward karate or tkd, but I feel like she's got that mindset mainly for the discipline aspect of it, and I know any martial art will teach discipline. I think I'd rather start them in bjj, then transition that into one of the others.

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

We're looking into bjj for our older 2 sons (9 and 6). We're also thinking about karate and tkd. Any recommendation for one over the rest? My wife is leaning more toward karate or tkd, but I feel like she's got that mindset mainly for the discipline aspect of it, and I know any martial art will teach discipline. I think I'd rather start them in bjj, then transition that into one of the others.

It really depends what you're looking for. BJJ is, legitimately, the most difficult (as in taxing physically and mentally) and as a result there are more dropouts and schools/classes are often smaller. BJJ is also less like "traditional" martial arts in that there are no forms and there isn't as mich formality and routine, usually. There is still that traditional discipline aspect but it feels a bit different. Still very big on respect, hard work, and progress through achievement and effort. It's all grappling, so striking. Not all schools Do a lot of self-defense application; many focus primarily on sport or gi training.

Karate or TKD can be your more stereotypical martial arts. Lots of drilling on standup skills. Tradition, honor, respect, etc. How much self-defense application you get truly depends on the school. Lots of forms and routines. Many schools get into weapons training, too. That can be pretty fun.

Of the two types, the standup stuff is probably more "fun" for most people (which isn't to say bjj isn't or can't be) and bjj is probably more rigorous (which also isn't to say the others aren't or can't be). It's hard for me to say you should pick one instead of the other because it really does depend on what you and your kids want and what they would enjoy. Maybe bjj would give them the type of skill you're looking for, but if they don't like it, they won't stick with it or vice versa. Check out some local schools and see if you can bring your kids in for a couple of free classes. I also encourage parents to join with their kids. It can be a fun family activity and sometimes kids get into it more knowing mom and/or dad is doing it too. That tends to be easier to do with the standup stuff, but whatever works for your family.

58 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

It really depends what you're looking for. BJJ is, legitimately, the most difficult (as in taxing physically and mentally) and as a result there are more dropouts and schools/classes are often smaller. BJJ is also less like "traditional" martial arts in that there are no forms and there isn't as mich formality and routine, usually. There is still that traditional discipline aspect but it feels a bit different. Still very big on respect, hard work, and progress through achievement and effort. It's all grappling, so striking. Not all schools Do a lot of self-defense application; many focus primarily on sport or gi training.

Karate or TKD can be your more stereotypical martial arts. Lots of drilling on standup skills. Tradition, honor, respect, etc. How much self-defense application you get truly depends on the school. Lots of forms and routines. Many schools get into weapons training, too. That can be pretty fun.

Of the two types, the standup stuff is probably more "fun" for most people (which isn't to say bjj isn't or can't be) and bjj is probably more rigorous (which also isn't to say the others aren't or can't be). It's hard for me to say you should pick one instead of the other because it really does depend on what you and your kids want and what they would enjoy. Maybe bjj would give them the type of skill you're looking for, but if they don't like it, they won't stick with it or vice versa. Check out some local schools and see if you can bring your kids in for a couple of free classes. I also encourage parents to join with their kids. It can be a fun family activity and sometimes kids get into it more knowing mom and/or dad is doing it too. That tends to be easier to do with the standup stuff, but whatever works for your family.

Yeah that all makes sense. I think both boys would probably enjoy the standup aspect more, so we may end up going that route. There are a few schools near us that we'll be visiting in the next few weeks (hopefully), and see what they have to offer. Going with karate or tkd would actually probably end up being easier for my wife to join as well, which she has been talking about. I'd like to join with them all, but my work schedule is pretty crazy and not at all set, so it's more difficult for me. Personally I'd prefer the bjj route, but that may be due to the fact that I have no experience at all in that (not that I've ever been trained in standup, just have some experience there), and it also just seems like something I'd have more fun/interest in. I'd like for the boys to enjoy it and stick with it, so we may end up going with karate or tkd, but I'll keep showing them old Gracie videos to try and get them more interested in bjj lol. 

Thanks for the input.

22 minutes ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

Yeah that all makes sense. I think both boys would probably enjoy the standup aspect more, so we may end up going that route. There are a few schools near us that we'll be visiting in the next few weeks (hopefully), and see what they have to offer. Going with karate or tkd would actually probably end up being easier for my wife to join as well, which she has been talking about. I'd like to join with them all, but my work schedule is pretty crazy and not at all set, so it's more difficult for me. Personally I'd prefer the bjj route, but that may be due to the fact that I have no experience at all in that (not that I've ever been trained in standup, just have some experience there), and it also just seems like something I'd have more fun/interest in. I'd like for the boys to enjoy it and stick with it, so we may end up going with karate or tkd, but I'll keep showing them old Gracie videos to try and get them more interested in bjj lol. 

Thanks for the input.

No problem! Like with most things, I always advocate exploring your options. So checking out schools is excellent. I would note that southern California is basically the Mecca for BJJ in the US. Do with that information what you will. ;)

12 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

No problem! Like with most things, I always advocate exploring your options. So checking out schools is excellent. I would note that southern California is basically the Mecca for BJJ in the US. Do with that information what you will. ;)

Yeah, unfortunately where I used to live (Redondo Beach/West Torrance area) is much more of a hot spot than where I am now. A guy I worked with a couple years ago actually trained with the Gracies years ago (under Rickson, I believe) when he lived out in that same area.

I may look into getting into it myself one of these days. I think I'd really enjoy it, and I could always use the exercise lol.

Archived