Martial Arts

fretgod99

As an untrained male, I feel like a woman who knows judo would be the hardest one to be aggressive towards. Jiu-jitsu is probably second. I have a weird hobby of watching street fight videos where one person has some kind of training.

2 hours ago, Viewsfromthe206 said:

Wanting to try martial arts as not only a form of fitness, but learning the art itself. I'm open to any form and the area I'm in has almost everything, so any suggestions would be great

Do you want to play around on your feet, wrestle, or mix them up? If you're interested in the traditional aspect of martial arts, anything like tkd, karate, gung fu, wing chun, etc. is going to have a lot of that. If you can more aboit the application side of things, krav maga, mma, boxing, etc. will get that covered. If you want to play on the ground more, jiu jitsu is where it's at. MMA plays on the ground quite a bit, and krav teaches enough of it to know how to throw some moves of a fight goes to the ground, but it's philosophy is to get back on your feet as quickly as is safe.

I took Taekwondo as a kid.  It was fun and a good self-defense and discipline as a beginner.

Later in college after discovering it accidentally, I took Capoeira.  I feel like it's an underrated and rare martial art.  It's a lot of fun and great cardio, but it forces you to push your body to its limits with flexibility, quickness and conditioning as you are constantly moving away and towards your opponent in some of the most body-contorting ways. You get to play music and the culture is very unique.  I really enjoy it.01-Marcus_Lelo_Aurelio_s_Mea_Lua_De_Companigif_enhanced-buzz-16251-1382367041-16tumblr_nr4fa3PUOy1uavrl3o1_400.gif

1 minute ago, eagles101 said:

Ive done judo and really want to get into bjj and muay thai. Want my wife to take a self defense class but they all seem like a complete scam.

It really depends on what the class is and who's teaching it. If it's something she's interested in, might as well see if she's interested in signing up for something more than just a class or a few. There can be some legit ones with good advice, though. I've done some, but am always pretty upfront that taking one 2 hour course (or a four week course or whatever) isn't going to make you Betty BA, nor will the techniques stick with you if you don't make a conscious effort to review them. That's why we bill ours as more of a self-defense awareness class than a true self-defense "here's a bunch of moves to get out of any situation!" class that some people try to push. You retain nothing with regard to technique if you don't actually train it with some regularity.

Just now, fretgod99 said:

It really depends on what the class is and who's teaching it. If it's something she's interested in, might as well see if she's interested in signing up for something more than just a class or a few. There can be some legit ones with good advice, though. I've done some, but am always pretty upfront that taking one 2 hour course (or a four week course or whatever) isn't going to make you Betty BA, nor will the techniques stick with you if you don't make a conscious effort to review them. That's why we bill ours as more of a self-defense awareness class than a true self-defense "here's a bunch of moves to get out of any situation!" class that some people try to push. You retain nothing with regard to technique if you don't actually train it with some regularity.

Thats my big thing. Everyone i see there techniques i think "i guess if you trained thag for a year straight then it would work maybe." Her friend came over and tried to show me what she learned from an 8 hour class at work and i steam rolled her. She asked me to put her in a rear naked choke and she tapped before i even sank it in. They told her to just pull my arm away from her neck and spin out. Without trying to choke her she couldnt pull it away and shes as big as me.

Don't know much about muay thai itself. With most of this stuff, my general position is check it out and see if it's for you. Does the training process sound engaging to you? Is the instructor someone you respect and find respectful? Can the school meet your training goals/requirements? If you're looking for a low key family experience where you learn some self-defense and work on personal goals/fitness, you might be looking at a different school than someone who wants to train hard and mix it up.

My suspicion is that muay thai tends to be among the more aggressively trained martial arts, but don't have a lot to back that up from personal knowledge (and again it depends on the school/instructor). That's neither good nor bad, just depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

Archived