Immediate thoughts/overreactions Week 1 edition

deeluxx3

24 minutes ago, footlunder said:

Anyone catch Dan's long write up at reddit?  I haven't watched the game back but he did, a couple times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tennesseetitans/comments/703hr7/all22_review_2017_my_thoughts_on_every_marcus/

"Mariota will be good in any system, but I'm worried we are wasting greatness on something that doesn't suit him"

This has been something that has quietly concerned me with Mularkey/Robiskie. Their offense doesn't use the full potential of Mariota.

29 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

"Mariota will be good in any system, but I'm worried we are wasting greatness on something that doesn't suit him"

This has been something that has quietly concerned me with Mularkey/Robiskie. Their offense doesn't use the full potential of Mariota.

I agree.  It's like this, do you all want Mariota to be a good QB or a great QB?  Last year per PFF, Mariota was top 1-3 in air yards, deep ball attempts and deep ball completions with guys like Winston, Palmer, Newton.   Mariota's style is the least similar to those guys, why are we running a system more similar to their playing styles than our own QB?  Mariota can still work on his deep ball and be in the 5-10 range instead of top 1-3 in air yards, deep ball attempts/completions.   Now that everyone has stopped freaking out about Mariota's deep ball, can we finally start focusing on our QB's strengths (while helping him improve areas of weakness)? Last week McVay said his job was to help Goff, his second year qb, build upon his strengths.  Our coaching staff sure as hell didn't do that with Mariota last year.

Devils advocate here, and I've been as critical of the O as anyone --

is it a bit premature to be saying that Mariota can't be "great" in a Mularkey/Robiskie offense? Fact is, if I told you this time last year that Marcus would end the year with the stat line he had, we'd all would have been happy. He was a second year player and posted one of the best QB stat lines we've had in ages. We loaded up this offseason on passing weapons -- the plan HAS to be to open this up and for this offense to be built around Marcus (which it is). Another fact is is that Marcus has yet to consistently show that he can win on his own if the run game struggles. That's something that'll come with time. Marcus right not be ready right now for that high-powered passing O that MM/TR had in Atlanta. But by getting the guys we got this offseason, that's clearly the plan if you ask me 

17 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

1 game and the all-pro RT is being talked about by fans to get moved inside.

I just want to quit this forum and never come back sometimes.

I never said the kid suckd read sometimes before you assume. Yes he made all-pro last year & he also had a lot of help from us playing heavy TE sets. All I said was if he can't hold the fort down 1 on 1 this year we may need to kick him to guard, because in order for us to take advantage of defenses & spread em out wit 3 & 4 WR sets he has to man up without much help. Thank you & feel free to leave my guy 

54 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I suggest everyone click on this link you will love its a breakdown of every route Corey ran last Sunday ?? We got us a true #1 baby T.O

Looks like I made a good adopt a titan pick. 

Also noticed around then 11 minute mark, that could have been a TD to Delanie. 

20 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

1 game and the all-pro RT is being talked about by fans to get moved inside.

I just want to quit this forum and never come back sometimes.

I find myself constantly rolling my eyes at posts this week... it's the life of a lot fans and boards though.  One week some are posting about 13 wins, being a threat to the Pats, not seeing any conceivable way to lose to a division team... etc... next week the coach will never develop Mariota, a 2nd year all-pro needs to be moved to another position (based on pre draft hunches), we will forever suck... etc... 

I think what gets the most is crediting Mariota and JRob for all the positives and Mularkey only gets mentioned with negatives.  We went from 2 wins to 9 wins?  All JRob and Mariota... and inspite of Mularkey.  We lose game 1 to a potential SB team?  It's Mularkey slowing/wasting JRob and Mariota's talents.  

It becomes comical at times... and as frustrating as it can be... and after staying away for for days at a time... I come to the realization that even ridiculous Titans talk is better than no Titans talk at all.

6 hours ago, footlunder said:

Anyone catch Dan's long wriOt watched the game back but he did, a couple times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tennesseetitans/comments/703hr7/all22_review_2017_my_thoughts_on_every_marcus/

Pretty good read/analysis.  

Reading it reminds me of some conversations this past offseason... some posters freaking out about losing Spain this coming offseason.  I made the argument he was JAG... would like to keep him for continuity... but wasn't worth much more than an average contract, at best.  The counter argument I received was that he was a great guard and that they should pay him 35M+ (if I remember correctly).

This analysis doesn't just reinforce my line of thinking... it gives my comments a rose colored tint.  These are all the Spain comments from this link (I'm not adding, exaggerating, or omitting):

• Spain continues his bad day and doesn't even get a hand on the defender.
  • The really frustrating thing about this play is that it should have been a huge gainer. I'm still convinced that the weakest man on this offensive line is Quinton Spain and he showed it again here.
  • Spain was extremely slow to get in position and still found a way to overrun his man.
  • Had Spain made his block, Delanie could have rumbled for 20-30 yards.
  • Spain screws Jones over and forces him to block two guys.
  • Protection is fine yet Spain finds a way to run around in circles and fall down. I really feel like he has no clue what he's doing half the game.
  • Lewan lets Mario Edwards Jr absolutely destroy Spain from the side which results in a free rusher.
  • Conklin and Spain were just absolutely atrocious at times in this game. If Conklin wasn't on his ***, Spain was turned around wondering if he was in the right stadium. I've said it before and I'll continue saying it, Spain is the weakest part of this line; not Kline. 

13 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I find myself constantly rolling my eyes at posts this week... it's the life of a lot fans and boards though.  One week some are posting about 13 wins, being a threat to the Pats, not seeing any conceivable way to lose to a division team... etc... next week the coach will never develop Mariota, a 2nd year all-pro needs to be moved to another position (based on pre draft hunches), we will forever suck... etc... 

I think what gets the most is crediting Mariota and JRob for all the positives and Mularkey only gets mentioned with negatives.  We went from 2 wins to 9 wins?  All JRob and Mariota... and inspite of Mularkey.  We lose game 1 to a potential SB team?  It's Mularkey slowing/wasting JRob and Mariota's talents.  

It becomes comical at times... and as frustrating as it can be... and after staying away for for days at a time... I come to the realization that even ridiculous Titans talk is better than no Titans talk at all.

Once again 

never said the kid suckd read sometimes before you assume. Yes he made all-pro last year & he also had a lot of help from us playing heavy TE sets. All I said was if he can't hold the fort down 1 on 1 this year we may need to kick him to guard, because in order for us to take advantage of defenses & spread em out wit 3 & 4 WR sets he has to man up without much help. Thank you & feel free to leave my guy 

20 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Once again 

never said the kid suckd read sometimes before you assume. Yes he made all-pro last year & he also had a lot of help from us playing heavy TE sets. All I said was if he can't hold the fort down 1 on 1 this year we may need to kick him to guard, because in order for us to take advantage of defenses & spread em out wit 3 & 4 WR sets he has to man up without much help. Thank you & feel free to leave my guy 

No one has come out and stated you said "the kid sucks".  I don't know who you are or what your pre-draft Conklin thoughts were, so rest assured I wasn't talking about/to you there, big guy.  

But thanks for the permission to leave... wasn't sure it was allowed without your blessing first.  Big load off my shoulders there...

Archived