Immediate thoughts/overreactions Week 1 edition

deeluxx3

17 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

No one has come out and stated you said "the kid sucks".  I don't know who you are or what your pre-draft Conklin thoughts were, so rest assured I wasn't talking about/to you there, big guy.  

But thanks for the permission to leave... wasn't sure it was allowed without your blessing first.  Big load off my shoulders there...

Rage noooooooo!!!! Don't GO!!!!

46 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

No one has come out and stated you said "the kid sucks".  I don't know who you are or what your pre-draft Conklin thoughts were, so rest assured I wasn't talking about/to you there, big guy.  

But thanks for the permission to leave... wasn't sure it was allowed without your blessing first.  Big load off my shoulders there...

Don't feed the troll. Just spit over the side of the bridge like you do every day and keep it pushing.xD

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

That was my same response to titanlegend I just repost it under your quote cause I felt you said the same thing he said 

21 hours ago, footlunder said:

I agree.  It's like this, do you all want Mariota to be a good QB or a great QB?  Last year per PFF, Mariota was top 1-3 in air yards, deep ball attempts and deep ball completions with guys like Winston, Palmer, Newton.   Mariota's style is the least similar to those guys, why are we running a system more similar to their playing styles than our own QB?  Mariota can still work on his deep ball and be in the 5-10 range instead of top 1-3 in air yards, deep ball attempts/completions.   Now that everyone has stopped freaking out about Mariota's deep ball, can we finally start focusing on our QB's strengths (while helping him improve areas of weakness)? Last week McVay said his job was to help Goff, his second year qb, build upon his strengths.  Our coaching staff sure as hell didn't do that with Mariota last year.

But yet everyone was impressed with the season he had? If you're trying to suggest that a second year QB who struggles to start the season got to be good despite his coaching staff, let me disagree with you. Ultimately, their job is not to play the offense so the fanbase feel the offense is tailored around the QB's strengths, but to win games. This worked pretty well last year.

Mularkey did an amazing job last season, but that does not exempt him from criticism. The run-heavy sets and schemes are great when you're trying to slow the game down for your 2nd year QB, but as Mariota evolves and improves, some of us are afraid the offense will be incapable of evolving with him. That is far from a ridiculous claim, as some of you would make it out to be.

As for Conklin, only one person has suggested he be moved to the interior, so to mention that as being ridiculous, whilist directly quoting the person who directly quoted him, it's fairly easy for TitanRedd to come to the conclusion that you were talking to/about him, or at the very least his opinions.

Just because the media expressed no concerns about Conklin's ability and he played well with Fasano at his hip, doesn't mean all of us that had concerns have forgotten them. I don't mean to say he is not good and I'm certainly not calling for him to be moved to OG, I'm just saying he played liked **** and he has to do better.

9 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Mularkey did an amazing job last season, but that does not exempt him from criticism. The run-heavy sets and schemes are great when you're trying to slow the game down for your 2nd year QB, but as Mariota evolves and improves, some of us are afraid the offense will be incapable of evolving with him. That is far from a ridiculous claim, as some of you would make it out to be.

As for Conklin, only one person has suggested he be moved to the interior, so to mention that as being ridiculous, whilist directly quoting the person who directly quoted him, it's fairly easy for TitanRedd to come to the conclusion that you were talking to/about him, or at the very least his opinions.

Just because the media expressed no concerns about Conklin's ability and he played well with Fasano at his hip, doesn't mean all of us that had concerns have forgotten them. I don't mean to say he is not good and I'm certainly not calling for him to be moved to OG, I'm just saying he played liked **** and he has to do better.

Well, sure. But last year Mularkey/Robiskie had to work with Rishard Matthews (who turned out great, but certainly not a game changer) and basically nothing else at WR, + Walker. IMO they did incredibly well, and who was able to thrive did. Matthews had a really solid year, Walker was good as usual. Marcus impressed, even though his season oscillated between bad and great games. That's only the passing game because I think that's what we're arguing over, not counting the running game who looked pretty great. It was hard for them to open up the playbook when the talent was not there to execute, but even still, they showed they were able to pretty well when they had to, and it worked out more often than not.

Now they get to play around with more weapons, let's see what they can do first before we're asking for their heads? Marcus still has to prove he can play consistently good football himself, Davis to settle in, Taylor to take over the majority of the snaps in the slot and Murray to prove week 1 was him just not being back up to speed yet, and hopefully can return to last year's form.

FWIW, I don't believe in Robiskie much myself, but it's way too premature to judge him as if he's holding Mariota back.

Who asked for their heads or claimed they should be fired? It was simply people saying "I wonder". People are overreacting to posters questions just as much as posters are overreacting to Mularkey and Robiskie's offense.

I don't think we need to move on from Mularkey in the slightest, but I am far from stopping to question whether or not his offense is best suited for Mariota. We saw last year what happened when we spread the field and went no huddle with Mariota, so it's hard to deny what his strengths are.

5 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Who asked for their heads or claimed they should be fired? It was simply people saying "I wonder". People are overreacting to posters questions just as much as posters are overreacting to Mularkey and Robiskie's offense.

I don't think we need to move on from Mularkey in the slightest, but I am far from stopping to question whether or not his offense is best suited for Mariota. We saw last year what happened when we spread the field and went no huddle with Mariota, so it's hard to deny what his strengths are.

Well, fair enough, I guess. But it has been implied earlier in the thread that Mularkey's offense is keeping Marcus from reaching his potential, and I reacted as if that's people asking for a different face to lead the team/offense. Could very well be me being wrong, but that's how I saw it.

May not deny what his strengths are, but he needs to show he can play to those strengths consistently, just as well. Early last year, he wasn't as accurate as you'd expect even on short/intermediate throws designed for easy completions, and I keep going back to the fact that the lack of talent at the WR position prevented them from spreading the field and opening up the playbook more. I see no fault in them looking to create different strengths and focus on other areas of the offense, such as blocking and running the football, because it obviously worked pretty well.

It did work very well and it was a big part of why we were able to make the leap last year, but we need to see the offense evolve as the weapons we added grow more comfortable. Less of the tight formations and more spreading the defense out and letting Mariota use his amazing processor and quick release to make some plays.

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

It did work very well and it was a big part of why we were able to make the leap last year, but we need to see the offense evolve as the weapons we added grow more comfortable. Less of the tight formations and more spreading the defense out and letting Mariota use his amazing processor and quick release to make some plays.

I think/hope that may still be in the plans for this year.  Last year we didn't have the personnel... so far this year it's too early too tell.  

They may have started hesitant because maybe they thought Mariota was not on the same page with all receivers... or not.  It could also be a result from the offensive line being in some sort of funk... or not.  It's been 1 game though.  We only had 3 series in the 1st half, but some posters were disappointed we didn't open it up more.  Even though we passed more than we ran, the plan of attack against the Raiders may have been a heavier run scheme. It obviously didn't work... but they adjusted... passed more in the 2nd.  Went from a pass:run ratio of 16:13 in the first half (counting 1 Mariota scramble as a pass play, since that was the play call... the other 2 rush attempts were designed runs) to 26:7 in the 2nd half.  We want our staff to be able to adjust, right?  

We seemingly ran a lot of tight formations, but was that based on how the online was playing?  We may have only given up 1 sack, but Mariota had to get rid of the ball early quite often.   

Lets give these coaches that took us from 2 wins to 9 wins in 1 season a little more time to see what they have.... see how they'll use their new toys.

Archived