Better QB this season? Deshaun Watson or Lamar Jackson

mdonnelly21

37 members have voted

1. 1. Better QB this season?

• Deshaun Watson
    • Lamar Jackson

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Lol right? People were literally talking about this as an all-time defense in this forum literally a week ago. For some reason there are people that will only want to diminish what he does...i expect it to continue throughout his career. Not sure why they do it but it is what it is.

That being said, as a Ravens fan, Deshaun is better.

Confirmation Bias.

There were a ton of posters on here, and several other sites that thought Lamar Jackson would never be much more than a glorified RB playing QB. Some people struggle to admit when the were completely wrong on a player. I guarantee if Lamar has a couple bad games in close succession we will see several people going back to making outlandish claims against Lamar.  

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Lol right? People were literally talking about this as an all-time defense in this forum literally a week ago. For some reason there are people that will only want to diminish what he does...i expect it to continue throughout his career. Not sure why they do it but it is what it is.

That being said, as a Ravens fan, Deshaun is better.

I literally said he was impressive against the Pats.  I literally said he's played well all season.  You saw one statement in my post that you didn't agree with and you literally got outraged.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Taking advantage of terrible defenses? Seems like an odd time to make that statement when Jackson just led his team to a win against an undefeated Patriots team that has an elite defense that was allowing 5 points per game through the first 8 games of the season. Jackson led the Ravens to 37 points against a defense that averaged 5 points allowed per game..

another one that can't read....  I said as plain as day that he was impressive against the pats, and that he's done a good job this year....  Why is he beyond reproach?

Its funny, there are about 5-6 threads going around comparing Jackson to struggling QBs.  Sure, he's great, compared to Trubisky; He's killing it, compared to Mayfield.  But now we're starting to compare him to good QBs like Watson, and it's looking like some folks can't handle the truth.  This cult worship of Lamar Jackson is getting out of hand..

9 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Confirmation Bias.

There were a ton of posters on here, and several other sites that thought Lamar Jackson would never be much more than a glorified RB playing QB. Some people struggle to admit when the were completely wrong on a player. I guarantee if Lamar has a couple bad games in close succession we will see several people going back to making outlandish claims against Lamar.  

No.  Just putting it in perspective before the bar is raised so high, he never lives up to it....

Aside from the Pats and Steelers, every other defense he's faced this year is bottom 10...

More than half of his rushing yards came against teams with a bottom 10 rush defense, including 150 from the 32nd ranked Bengals.

All I'm saying is let's pump the brakes a little bit.  We've all seen this show before:  unconventional QB comes in and has success;  everyone proclaims that he's revolutionizing the position, perennial MVP, the next Steve Young, etc, etc;  2 years later, the NFL figures him out and the honeymoon is over, then we're left with 5-10 years of excuses...

But for now I'll say it again so everybody can see; He's done a good job.  The team is winning.  Kudos, but he's not on Watson's level, nor should he be an MVP candidate. 

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

I literally said he was impressive against the Pats.  I literally said he's played well all season.  You saw one statement in my post that you didn't agree with and you literally got outraged.

another one that can't read....  I said as plain as day that he was impressive against the pats, and that he's done a good job this year....  Why is he beyond reproach?

Its funny, there are about 5-6 threads going around comparing Jackson to struggling QBs.  Sure, he's great, compared to Trubisky; He's killing it, compared to Mayfield.  But now we're starting to compare him to good QBs like Watson, and it's looking like some folks can't handle the truth.  This cult worship of Lamar Jackson is getting out of hand..

No.  Just putting it in perspective before the bar is raised so high, he never lives up to it....

Aside from the Pats and Steelers, every other defense he's faced this year is bottom 10...

More than half of his rushing yards came against teams with a bottom 10 rush defense, including 150 from the 32nd ranked Bengals.

All I'm saying is let's pump the brakes a little bit.  We've all seen this show before:  unconventional QB comes in and has success;  everyone proclaims that he's revolutionizing the position, perennial MVP, the next Steve Young, etc, etc;  2 years later, the NFL figures him out and the honeymoon is over, then we're left with 5-10 years of excuses...

But for now I'll say it again so everybody can see; He's done a good job.  The team is winning.  Kudos, but he's not on Watson's level, nor should he be an MVP candidate. 

lol definitely a post filled with outrage, that last one i made. pure unadulterated outrage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Taking advantage of terrible defenses? Seems like an odd time to make that statement when Jackson just led his team to a win against an undefeated Patriots team that has an elite defense that was allowing 5 points per game through the first 8 games of the season. Jackson led the Ravens to 37 points against a defense that averaged 5 points allowed per game..

It was actually only 30 points...

:(

This is one of the few comparisons where I will have to abstain from voting. I can’t vote against my QB, though logically speaking I also think Watson has the advantage here. He has the better career resume, he’s crushing it this season as well as both a rusher and passer.

That said, for me, it’s too early for me to make this kind of comparison. It’s like in baseball when you say, “the tie goes to the runner”. I think Lamar’s impact on his team this season has been just as (if not slightly more) stellar as Watson’s, albeit in a “different” way. I mean we’re talking about his impact on the rushing attack as we would normally talk only about a QBs impact on the passing attack... Watson possesses a bit of this same duality. 

“However where the tie goes to the runner“ comes into play... Watson has been doing all of this longer and has the much more defined resume. If the impact is close enough to where I look and my bias might only tell me there’s a slight Lamar differential (which is likely only my bias providing said differential), than the resume easily and quite clearly breaks the tie.

That all said, I think a fair time to make this comparison will be after next season. After three full seasons in the league. If Lamar can make passing gains as steep as he did from year one to year two and if young WRs make similar gains, this conversation may look slightly different then... but hypotheticals don’t exist when comparing the current greatness of QBs.

Watson is the winner here. Though i won’t vote against my QB.