Beyond Win-Loss Record over the next 8 games, What Things Do You Need to See to Justify Keeping Freddie?

Mind Character

5 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Lmao we took away such opposite things from the game.  I thought we used Hunt extremely well, who knew he could lay down blocks like that?  I don't think when the Bills saw Chubb and Hunt in the backfield they expected him to be lead blocking.  I thought Hunt's usage was something that definitely gave me a little more faith that Freddie has some idea of what he's doing.

We got him 11 touches his first game back, I'm ok with that.

Agreed.

I like how much we used Hunt in the passing game.  I liked putting both back there at the same time.  I think he should get the ball more just because I think our running game should get the ball more in general...

5 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Lmao we took away such opposite things from the game.  I thought we used Hunt extremely well, who knew he could lay down blocks like that?  I don't think when the Bills saw Chubb and Hunt in the backfield they expected him to be lead blocking.  I thought Hunt's usage was something that definitely gave me a little more faith that Freddie has some idea of what he's doing.

We got him 11 touches his first game back, I'm ok with that.

Don’t get me wrong I love how we used him, I just wish we’d have seen a little more of him.

15+ touches would have been my goal I guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I get what your staying, but one has played on a PROLIFIC passing offense that allows more open running lanes starting 27 games and rushing for 2151 yards on 453 attempts for 4.7 yards per carry.

The other one has been on a team who has crowded the box MUCH more, started only 18 games, but already rushed for 1915 yards on only 366 attempts for 5.2 yards per carry.

The only reason Chubb doesn't have a pro bowl on his resume is because Jackson was too dumb to start him.

Chubb is also on pace to BLOW AWAY hunts measly 1327 rushing title single season mark.  On pace for 1,633.

I honestly believe Chubb is the better running back.

But we agree, lets not use chubb less, lets use hunt more.

And 11 touches in his first game back and first game in this offense was a good start.  I would like to see it grow from there.

No I agree Chubb is probably the better back, but Hunt is a legit stud.

OBJ, Landry, Chubb and Hunt all are imo.  One of those guys should be touching the ball 75% of the time.

• Like 1

To add to that, I hope we never see Hilliard on the field for more than maybe 1-3 plays a game at most. He did nothing with the opportunity he was given this season, and when he comes in on third down we're basically telling the defense that we're passing it. Having Hunt in on third downs is huge because it means we could be running, or he could be a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield, or he could be staying to give Baker extra protection.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No I agree Chubb is probably the better back, but Hunt is a legit stud.

OBJ, Landry, Chubb and Hunt all are imo.  One of those guys should be touching the ball 75% of the time.

absolutely.  I hope our offensive play caller can find out how to appropriately use all of those guys.  Our team is SOOOO talented.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

To add to that, I hope we never see Hilliard on the field for more than maybe 1-3 plays a game at most. He did nothing with the opportunity he was given this season, and when he comes in on third down we're basically telling the defense that we're passing it. Having Hunt in on third downs is huge because it means we could be running, or he could be a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield, or he could be staying to give Baker extra protection.

Sorry.  I wish I could have given you 100 football likes but it appears one is the max...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yeah why was that effin goof returning punts?!?

Thats another thing I though during the game, let Hunt do that stuff.  And let Juice return punts.  He’s a damned pro.  Maybe he doesn’t bust a 90 yard return, but he catches the ball, makes good decisions and gets positive yards.  That’s enough.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

absolutely.  I hope our offensive play caller can find out how to appropriately use all of those guys.  Our team is SOOOO talented.

I honestly think that’s been an issue for Freddie.

He’s trying to keep a lot of egos in check and keep a lot of dudes happy.

Cant be easy, but it’s a good problem to have.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah why was that effin goof returning punts?!?

Thats another thing I though during the game, let Hunt do that stuff.  And let Juice return punts.  He’s a damned pro.  Maybe he doesn’t bust a 90 yard return, but he catches the ball, makes good decisions and gets positive yards.  That’s enough.

Amen.  There is some concern for injuring our best players, but we need to put our best food out there on every play.  I would love to see Jarvis always returning punts

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I honestly think that’s been an issue for Freddie.

He’s trying to keep a lot of egos in check and keep a lot of dudes happy.

Cant be easy, but it’s a good problem to have.

I don't disagree, but he can do those things AND get the play in fast enough that were not up against the clock every time right?...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

Where are we in the same metrics?

Weighted DVOA Offensive Efficiency (the one that matters) we're 24th and the Steelers are 28th; however, keep a few things in mind. If you and I were in a race and I finished 4th with a time of 1 hours and 10 minutes and you finished 5th with a time of 2 hours and 10 minutes, the fact that you finished one spot behind me doesn't tell the qualitative difference story of how much better my performance was relative to you. One would have to understand beyond the pure ranking; that is, what the numbers mean.

The difference in Weighted value between 24th to 28th is a substantial amount of efficiency falloff; two qualitatively different offenses with the Steelers offense being substantially worse and less efficent.. Also, as is the case in football the opponents an offense goes against matter.

Here's the link: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

Edited by Mind Character

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

There is now never a reason Hilliard should see a rep.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They threw a fade to ObJ and he dropped it/had it broken up.

That’s not a fade. They had him running a double move corner type route. They had OBJ going in and than outside. Just run a straight fade to let OBJ just go straight up for it or for a back shoulder catch. OBJ ran two of those routes. Gonna sit there and Come across the defender and create Unnecessary contact