5 Up, 5 down - Game 1

theJ

5 up

1. Gio Bernard - looking like the best back on the team, fresh off an ACL tear
  2. Jordan Evans looks good

5 down

1. Dalton needs to clean up the turnovers.  He's limited them the last two years, so i'm not worried about a repeat in game 2.  But that was a bad game from a guy that can't play that bad.
  2. Ogbuehi really sucks.  Got beat at least a half dozen times.  I don't want to count - it'd be too depressing.
  3. Not much pass rush from the unit that really shined in the preseason.  But hard to get a lot of rush playing from behind.
  4. This three back rotation.  Neither Hill or Mixon could get going.  This is going to be a problem all year.  I said it in the preseason, and i'll say it now.  3 back rotations don't work.  Cut Hill loose.
  5. The interior OL - they were pushed back into Dalton's lap on probably half or more of the pass snaps.  And they were mostly going with 3 step drops.

You can't give Fisher a pass in this disaster either.  The line was beyond bad.

It's time to move Boling to LT, Westerman to LG, Johnson to C, and pray that Hopkins is ok, otherwise it's Redmond to RG and possibly Smith to RT.  They were THAT bad yesterday.

Dalton sucked, but the line had a role in every INT, plus the strip sack (that I swear his arm was going forward...and they didn't even review it...WTF).  Two INTs were tipped or swatted, a third was slightly deflected, and the fourth one (the first one in the end zone) he had so much pressure in his face he just threw it up.  But that's a horrible decision in that spot in the game and one the field.  the decision to throw it away on fourth down was absolutely stupid.  

Speaking of decisions, Marvin is still Marvin (He is who he is).  He cowardly decides to punt from the 40 yard line on fourth down, down 20, with nine minutes to go.  Everyone was irate in the crowd.  Then came the equally numbing decision the following drive that no one seems to be talking about.  he used the timeouts to stop the clock with maybe 4 + minutes to go (I am fuzzy on the time).  After getting the ball back, what do Grand Master Marvin and Kenny Z decide to do?  Run the ball twice and throw a dump-off for two yards over the middle.  You spend two time outs to get the ball back and HELP THE RAVENS RUN OUT THE CLOCK.  

3 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Speaking of decisions, Marvin is still Marvin (He is who he is).  He cowardly decides to punt from the 40 yard line on fourth down, down 20, with nine minutes to go.  Everyone was irate in the crowd.  Then came the equally numbing decision the following drive that no one seems to be talking about.  he used the timeouts to stop the clock with maybe 4 + minutes to go (I am fuzzy on the time).  After getting the ball back, what do Grand Master Marvin and Kenny Z decide to do?  Run the ball twice and throw a dump-off for two yards over the middle.  You spend two time outs to get the ball back and HELP THE RAVENS RUN OUT THE CLOCK.  

I should have added Marvin to the downs.  The coaches was pretty bad late in the game.

4 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Dalton sucked, but the line had a role in every INT, plus the strip sack (that I swear his arm was going forward...and they didn't even review it...WTF).  Two INTs were tipped or swatted, a third was slightly deflected, and the fourth one (the first one in the end zone) he had so much pressure in his face he just threw it up.  But that's a horrible decision in that spot in the game and one the field.  the decision to throw it away on fourth down was absolutely stupid.  

The first 2 INT's there were no pressure.  The tipped ball going to AJ and the one in the end zone.  He had clean pockets there, no push up the middle, and no one coming around the edge.  I watched them a few times because you mentioned there was pressure.  I can maybe post gif's later if i have time.

6 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

You can't give Fisher a pass in this disaster either.  The line was beyond bad.

It's time to move Boling to LT, Westerman to LG, Johnson to C, and pray that Hopkins is ok, otherwise it's Redmond to RG and possibly Smith to RT.  They were THAT bad yesterday.

I didn't want to make it a 2 up and 10 down thread haha.  I'm not full of that much negativity.  

I'd give Ogbuehi 2 more weeks, then pull the plug.  Smith showed enough at LT in the preseason that i'd move him there.  Leave Fisher for the moment.  Either way you cut it, the line is going to be a disaster all season.

5 UPS.

1.Geno Atkins and the rookie pass rushes. Willis had to step in for Michael Johnson and played good. Lawson and Glasgow also looked good in there limited time of playing, which gives me hope.

2.The LB's were apparently bad, but Kevin Minter had the highest profootballfocus score on the Bengals this week.

3.I didn't watch much of the game.

4.My Fantasy team might actually win this week

5.I played madden 18 for the first time yesterday, it was awesome.

5 DOWNS.

1.Andy Dalton played in full playoff form.

2.Bad day for the OL, Ogbuehi and Fisher were awful and Hopkins is likely done for the season.

3.Ken Zampeses can't be trusted to run a lemonade stand, let alone call the plays for this offense.

4.The Bengals weapons have been all hype and no substance.

5.Nick Vigil and Vincent Rey were god awful.

Everything the offense did was brutal. From coaching to the players executing. I saw the average distance Mixon ran before he was contacted was .1 yards. That is embarrassing. The O line was so laughably bad and we did it to ourselves by letting the best guys on the line leave. Just stupid. 

Tough to judge the defense. They bend and didnt break, but were getting gashed all day in the run because they were on the field so much. 

Overall this game needs to be wiped from memory. Sadly, I expect Andy to potentially die this week vs. Clowney and Watt. 

3 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

Marvin is a coward and a terrible coach.. I need to quit caring until he is gone

we will not win under him (a championship i mean). He has no balls and this team consistently plays flat. I love him for what he has done for this franchise overall, but it is time to move on (has been for years)

14 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

we will not win under him (a championship i mean). He has no balls and this team consistently plays flat. I love him for what he has done for this franchise overall, but it is time to move on (has been for years)

yes to this whole statement 

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

The Geno sack was because of Lawson getting pressure. I am super excited to see what else he can do. 

Yup, Yup.  QBs can't just sit back there comfortably anymore.  Lawson/Willis forces them off the spot and to step up in the pocket, Geno cleans up.  Also, the vice versa will be true.

At least some positive to this game...

Archived