Your Plan for the O-line

theJ

After yesterday's debacle, there are a lot of things to work on.  Can't do much about the QB.  He has to figure that out on his own.

But the O-line...there are backups, and some versatility.  What would you do game 2?  What would be your plan season long?  In the offseason (long term fixes)?

Keep in mind Hopkins is likely out for the season with a knee injury.  So they'll be bringing someone up.

Just now, johndeere1707 said:

I wouldn't have been put in this situation to begin with because we all saw it coming, yet the team put all their eggs in the Ogbeuhi basket, and I'm still not convinced he will be gone. 

I'm pretty confident he won't be starting next year. 

The question isn't really are you smarter than the Bengals coaching staff.  The question is, you wake up today and find yourself the coach.  What do you do to fix the situation as best you can week 2 and going forward?

I think i'd move Andre to LT.  Try Westerman at RG.

I'm also going to look in FA for someone that can come in and play the interior line.  I don't think they'll find a tackle, but maybe they can find a guard as a backup.

Honestly, I'd leave the OLine alone for now.  The Ravens defense is a really tough way to open up.  Give them at least the first quarter of the season (aside from having to replace Hopkins because of injury).  After 4 games if Ced can't figure things out, then replace him with Andre Smith at LT.

Longer term, next years draft thankfully has some solid OLine prospects.  Draft an OT in round 1, draft an interior OL (center or guard) in round 2...

7 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Honestly, I'd leave the OLine alone for now.  The Ravens defense is a really tough way to open up.  Give them at least the first quarter of the season (aside from having to replace Hopkins because of injury).  After 4 games if Ced can't figure things out, then replace him with Andre Smith at LT.

Longer term, next years draft thankfully has some solid OLine prospects.  Draft an OT in round 1, draft an interior OL (center or guard) in round 2...

at the very least you need to commit a TE to help block. So Hewitt or Kroft need to be in line with Ced every play. Just to give Andy and this team a fair chance. 

7 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I agree with this for now. This was their "best 5". Obviously Hopkins appears to be injured for awhile. So either TJ Johnson or Westerman will get the nod at RG. Gotta know for sure that this game wasn't just an abberition. 

3 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

If we end up with a top 5 pick, do you honestly see us taking a QB?

If we pass on a franchise QB to keep Andy Dalton into his 30's, when his physical limitations will become an even bigger issue, then I might be done until Mike Brown dies.  Dalton is a solid average NFL QB, literally everything else on the roster has to be top notch for us to win a super bowl.

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

at the very least you need to commit a TE to help block. So Hewitt or Kroft need to be in line with Ced every play. Just to give Andy and this team a fair chance. 

Yep. And Eifert is a liability blocking which takes away from his effectiveness.

18 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

If we pass on a franchise QB to keep Andy Dalton into his 30's, when his physical limitations will become an even bigger issue, then I might be done until Mike Brown dies.  Dalton is a solid average NFL QB, literally everything else on the roster has to be top notch for us to win a super bowl.

They would pass on a QB.  Barring a disaster injury to Dalton that forces their hand.

Archived