Should Kyle Shanahan have gone for the tie?

patriotsheatyan

Should Kyle Shanahan have gone for the tie with less than two minutes left?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kyle Shanahan have gone for the tie with less than two minutes left?

• Yes
    • No
    • He should have cautiously started the drive, then opened it up if they got a first down

9 hours ago, N4L said:

From memory, we had the ball with 1:49 left in ot and Seattle had 1 time out 

First down, batted pass at the LOS. The pass was to a guy who was wide open beyond the sticks

Second down, dropped pass on what should have been an easy 7 yard completion

Third down, we went for the win on a 40 yard pass down the field. Deebo Samuel beat his man, Garoppolo gave it slightly too much air, and the two handed Griffen brother made a nice play on the ball. 

Kyle said on third down he wasn't going to just run the ball on third and punt because he felt it didn't matter if Wilson had 1:40 or 1m left

I agree 100% with his reasoning. Let's take the shot to win the game in that scenario.

It's not like he did what Frank Reich did and go for it on 4th in his own territory. If Robert Saleh uses a goddamn qb spy on Wilson, we probably tie anyway 

You are right about the time left but Seattle didn't have a single timeout when Niners got the ball.

I honestly didn't even think that what Shanny did on this three and out was his biggest gaffe of the overtime period. I think that was actually kicking the field goal on 4th and inches. He should have went for that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I honestly didn't even think that what Shanny did on this three and out was his biggest gaffe of the overtime period. I think that was actually kicking the field goal on 4th and inches. He should have went for that. 

I would have done that after they went and iced the kicker. After two timeouts, you had the time in the world to draw up a nice QB sneak.

Just now, NJerseypaint said:

I would have done that after they went and iced the kicker. After two timeouts, you had the time in the world to draw up a nice QB sneak.

It's just math for me to be honest. Jimmy G is a perfect 11-11 on quarterback sneak conversions in his career. The typical success rate (depending on where you read) is like 80-90% on a QB sneak (and a lot of places have that on the higher end). Only half the kickers in the league hit their 40-49 yarders at a 75% clip, I believe, and a third of the league misses a third of those kicks. The kicker was an undrafted rookie free agent who came into the game 1-4 on kicks of 40-49 yards and all of his career misses have been from that distance. 

If he hadn't made two earlier in the game from that distance, I would assume that they would have went for it. But he did, so I understand why they made the decision. 

• Like 2