Let's talk about Corey Davis

deeluxx3

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I don't think so.

He hasn't produced like a #5 pick but has produced. And given the optimism that the offense will have going into next season, I can't see why they would. 

Him and AJ Brown are a great duo. 

He’s only getting (edit: 3 catches not targets) 5 targets on average a game and there’s zero chance his 5th year option is picked up.  It’s almost like the guy is wasting away on your team due to various reasons.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

He’s only getting 3 targets on average a game and there’s zero chance his 5th year option is picked up.  It’s almost like the guy is wasting away on your team due to various reasons.

I think most would agree with everything you're saying here, I just don't think he'll be traded unless a team thinks he's worth more than he's produced here. Money will not be an issue with the other cuts they will likely make, so I don't think that factors into it too much. 

We definitely won't pick up his 5th year option, but I don't see us creating a hole in the #2 WR spot on the roster to save money. The offer would have to be something we didn't want to give up as we are in win now mode with a soon to be 32 year old QB and a pretty good football team.

The question is, what do you think he's worth?

Edited by TitanSS

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

In Corey, we have a guy who could be a VERY good #2.

But we're basically saying...we don't want a good #2. it's stupid

I think we do have a good #2. We just haven't thrown he ball effectively during his time here until very recently, and even then we don't throw a ton where a 2nd guy is going to get a ton of targets.

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I think we do have a good #2. We just haven't thrown he ball effectively during his time here until very recently, and even then we don't throw a ton where a 2nd guy is going to get a ton of targets.

I think Firkser got three targets against Houston before Corey got his first

that's ASININE 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I think Firkser got three targets against Houston before Corey got his first

that's ASININE 

I did see something from Next Gen Stats that CD is 3rd in the NFL in CUSH, which I believe is the amount of cushion a WR is given pre-snap.

I don't necessarily know if that applies to his lack of targets, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

I'm really not sure why he isn't involved more than he is. It's almost as if he's the last read a lot of times, so maybe he's running longer developing routes down the field?

Maybe it's literally just as simple as Tannehill working with the 2nd team and forming a relationship with those guys like Firkser prior to starting and he's looking their way.

Edited by TitanSS

Just now, TitanSS said:

I did see something from Next Gen Stats that CD is 3rd in the NFL in CUSH, which I believe is the amount of cushion a WR is given pre-snap.

I don't necessarily know if that applies to his lack of targets, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

I'm really not sure why he isn't involved more than he is. It's almost as if he's the last read a lot of times, so maybe he's running longer developing routes down the field?

your guess is as good as mine. At the end of the day, a player gets targets when his number is called. And I'm assuming that more often than not, when your number is called in the huddle, you're going to get thrown the ball as the first read.

I just don't think his number is being called. And I have no idea why. He had a monster camp. He's shown he belongs in the NFL. Yes he isn't a natural playmaker like AJ, but he's a huge body that should be moving the chains with ease. But once again our stupid offense outsmarts itself and we're force-feeding a freaking UDFA TE the ball...and then finally get screwed because of it during a huge game.

41 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I just don't think his number is being called. And I have no idea why. He had a monster camp. He's shown he belongs in the NFL. Yes he isn't a natural playmaker like AJ, but he's a huge body that should be moving the chains with ease. But once again our stupid offense outsmarts itself and we're force-feeding a freaking UDFA TE the ball...and then finally get screwed because of it during a huge game.

that UDFA TE has a higher catch rate than davis lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

If a team offered a 3rd do you take it?

if you were to trade him what would you expect back on a fair deal?

I had a feeling that's what you were going say, probably because I was thinking it would take at least a second for me to consider moving him lol.

I don't think they do it for a 3rd. I mentioned the Titans being in a "win now" window and I think they hang on to him for another year for that reason. A 3rd round pick is likely going to be a developmental player that isn't ready to start more often than not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Even when his number has been called he’s dropped a ton of catchable passes. 

AJ has more drops that Corey the only difference is it’s all forgotten because he’s the 1 making plays. The evidence is there he’s simply not targeted & he gets open, yes he has his concentration drops but that’s like Henry when he’s splitting carries he’s not in sync. My opinion he’s a capable #1 has shown it can beat any corner we’re simply not involving him in the game plan. That’s my issue with art he doesn’t move guys around at all to exploit matchups , for once I wanna see Jonnu outside & Aj with Corey in the slot Or Jonnu & Corey outside with AJ in the slot 

AJ Brown has a 63% catch rate and Corey Davis has a 60% catch rate.

Neither is very high, but AJ has more targets and bigger plays. Corey Davis has 2.8 yards of separation when targeted vs 2.2 for AJ Brown. Neither of those are great numbers. Both have over 12 air yards on targets.

AJ Brown has a lot more YAC obviously.

Jonnu Smith and Adam Humphries have much higher catch rates, but are targeted much closer to the LOS.

Sometimes a trade just isn’t viable, as one team values a player more than everyone else.  I mean there’s a reason the Titans spent the 5th overall choice on Davis, so it’s not a suprise.

I just can’t see any team giving up anything more than a 3rd for him.  He’s a #2 WR who has 36 catches, 517yds, and 2 TDs (on pace for 41rec, 591yd, 2 TD).  That’s A little below average #3/slot WR stats.  Hunter Renfrow has very had a similar season for my Raiders.

Also, his cap is 8million, albeit anyone trading for him would only be responsible for 4mil, and he’s got 1 year left on that deal.  If he had a few more years on his rookie deal then he’d be more valuable.  The 5th year option obviously wouldn’t be picked up at this point  even if he was traded for.  I thought the Raiders should go after Davis because he’d be a nice #2 WR if Tyrell Williams is released.  Davis has some upside as he’s obviously not in the ideal system for his production, as everyone has noted, and he’d be $6 million less against the cap.  But If the cost of a one year rental is a #2 there’s no way that’s a good move for us or anyone.  Especially with how deep this draft class is.  There will be very solid draft prospects through the end of round 3, and by Solid I mean projected starters within 1 year.

I hope it doesn’t sound like I came in here to talk trash, that wasn’t my intent.