Glass is half full

Golfman

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

He either doesn't see them or he feels he can't get the ball to them.  I agree, that is more worrisome.

And to add evidence to this, just look at his mechanics.  When’s the last time AR actually stood tall in the pocket, planted his feet, and threw downfield with confidence and authority?  Most of his throws now are last minute from his back foot as he’s falling away from the play.  As if it was thrown in a last minute panic.  As if his internal clock is telling him in a panic, find a receiver quick - anyone - and get rid of the ball anyway you can.  And if a green and gold jersey can’t be found, he goes down in a cloud of dust.  Yes, this is worrisome.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

And to add evidence to this, just look at his mechanics.  When’s the last time AR actually stood tall in the pocket, planted his feet, and threw downfield with confidence and authority?  Most of his throws now are last minute from his back foot as he’s falling away from the play.  As if it was thrown in a last minute panic.  As if his internal clock is telling him in a panic, find a receiver quick - anyone - and get rid of the ball anyway you can.  And if a green and gold jersey can’t be found, he goes down in a cloud of dust.  Yes, this is worrisome.

It is interesting that in the Raiders game he was mostly in balance with a reasonable weight shift, and had a good game.

I thought that the throwing mechanics rehab program was starting to work.  Lately not so much.

• Like 1

Let's pause for a second and realize that Rodgers is playing in a new offense.  11 games in.  

Maybe he is over-analyzing things and taking in/processing too much and his decision making is getting bogged down as a result.  Analogous to a great writer having writers block.  

Just throwing some thoughts out for discussion.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

It is interesting that in the Raiders game he was mostly in balance with a reasonable weight shift, and had a good game.

I thought that the throwing mechanics rehab program was starting to work.  Lately not so much.

Agreed.  His confidence in the OL in that game showed, and he was seeing things unfolding before him.  Intense pass rush and pressure disrupts his confidence, trust, and focus, and he’s unable to slow all the moving parts down enough to make the right decisions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Let's pause for a second and realize that Rodgers is playing in a new offense.  11 games in.  

Maybe he is over-analyzing things and taking in/processing too much and his decision making is getting bogged down as a result.  Analogous to a great writer having writers block.  

Just throwing some thoughts out for discussion.  

That’s fair, and should be considered.  I’d give this even more credibility if this behavior started just this year.  But we’re talking about a trend that started a few years back.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

That’s fair, and should be considered.  I’d give this even more credibility if this behavior started just this year.  But we’re talking about a trend that started a few years back.

No disagreement that these things have been around longer than 2019.  Just something to consider that Rodgers is such an intellectual player, processes and dissects every detail of the information presnap to the point of running the playclock down to a few seconds regularly.  Just feels like he is over-analyzing things and letting "great be the enemy of good" on too many plays striving for 'perfection".   Chasing something that is unattainable.

• Like 1

No disagreement that these things have been around longer than 2019.  Just something to consider that Rodgers is such an intellectual player, processes and dissects every detail of the information presnap to the point of running the playclock down to a few seconds regularly.  Just feels like he is over-analyzing things and letting "great be the enemy of good" on too many plays striving for 'perfection".   Chasing something that is unattainable.

If we go with this assumption, are we assuming he’s seeing the open receivers and choosing to go a different direction because his “perfectionism” is telling him something better is going to come along?  I’m just having a hard time believing he’s that stubborn - that on a 3rd or 4th down play he’d bypass an opportunity to get the first down because he’s looking to hit a bigger play.

Or, is his perfectionism causing his brain to implode and he’s unable to slow the game down and process the information?

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

If we go with this assumption, are we assuming he’s seeing the open receivers and choosing to go a different direction because his “perfectionism” is telling him something better is going to come along?  I’m just having a hard time believing he’s that stubborn - that on a 3rd or 4th down play he’d bypass an opportunity to get the first down because he’s looking to hit a bigger play.

Or, is his perfectionism causing his brain to implode and he’s unable to slow the game down and process the information?

I don't think it is intentional.  Though there is some previous concept of needing to hit the explosive/chunk play under the MM coaching.

Ultimately, more the latter.  He may be seeing it, but the processing of what he is seeing and the translation to the execution is getting inhibited by the hyper analysis of the information.  

As I noted earlier, like a great writer or composer that gets "writers block".  The visual information is coming in, it is being processed, but the next step to execution is being inhibited by something.   What that something is could be many things....fear of the INT, lack of trust in the WR/TE, some doubt of his skills and arm talent, a breakdown in his mechanics that leaves him out of "proper" fundamental position to make the throw, he is seeing "ghosts".   Could be a combination of those + others.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I don't think it is intentional.  Though there is some previous concept of needing to hit the explosive/chunk play under the MM coaching.

Ultimately, more the latter.  He may be seeing it, but the processing of what he is seeing and the translation to the execution is getting inhibited by the hyper analysis of the information.  

As I noted earlier, like a great writer or composer that gets "writers block".  The visual information is coming in, it is being processed, but the next step to execution is being inhibited by something.   What that something is could be many things....fear of the INT, lack of trust in the WR/TE, some doubt of his skills and arm talent, a breakdown in his mechanics that leaves him out of "proper" fundamental position to make the throw, he is seeing "ghosts".   Could be a combination of those + others.

Do you think there is any chance he feels the need to be the hero as opposed to taking the boring game manager stuff that comes up?

I mean, it can be an addicting high when you get into the groove and are making the big plays.  Sometimes hard to back off and do the more boring stuff needed.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I said basically the same thing a few posts back, so we’re on the same thought track.  You added something to my theory that really helps me wrap my head around “why” he’s not processing more quickly, which is his cerebral approach to this game.  It used to serve him well, but lately it’s inhibiting him from being decisive and timely.

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Do you think there is any chance he feels the need to be the hero as opposed to taking the boring game manager stuff that comes up?

I mean, it can be an addicting high when you get into the groove and are making the big plays.  Sometimes hard to back off and do the more boring stuff needed.

I would not remove that from possibility.   

I thought there was a quote from Rodgers on how Brady's style of dink and dunk was not how he feels the QB position should be played.  (probably not the wording, but something to that effect).

The big play can certainly be addicting.   BB players falling in love with the 3-point shot.  Baseball players trying to hit a home run each at bat

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I said basically the same thing a few posts back, so we’re on the same thought track.  You added something to my theory that really helps me wrap my head around “why” he’s not processing more quickly, which is his cerebral approach to this game.  It used to serve him well, but lately it’s inhibiting him from being decisive and timely.

I agree.  The cerebral aspect to Rodgers personality and his great intellect might be a detriment at times.  The whole playclock running down thing speaks to that IMO.  The ultimate game of chess with the defense and trying to find the weakness.  I am pretty sure that defenses know this and game plan to disguise things to the point of it backfiring as Rodgers over analyses the presnap so much that it affects the post snap processing.  Those pre-snap and post-snap images need to match up for the execution of what he is seeing.  If they do not, he can't "trust" what he is seeing and can't pull the trigger on the pass.  

Something like an optical illusion and he gets lost in the conflict of what he is seeing/had seen pre-snap and the delivering the pass gets inhibited.

WOW....that is a lot of psycho babble.   Sorry all.

• Like 2

I agree.  The cerebral aspect to Rodgers personality and his great intellect might be a detriment at times.  The whole playclock running down thing speaks to that IMO.  The ultimate game of chess with the defense and trying to find the weakness.  I am pretty sure that defenses know this and game plan to disguise things to the point of it backfiring as Rodgers over analyses the presnap so much that it affects the post snap processing.  Those pre-snap and post-snap images need to match up for the execution of what he is seeing.  If they do not, he can't "trust" what he is seeing and can't pull the trigger on the pass.  

Something like an optical illusion and he gets lost in the conflict of what he is seeing/had seen pre-snap and the delivering the pass gets inhibited.

WOW....that is a lot of psycho babble.   Sorry all.

I think you’re hitting damn close to the bullseye.  I wish Rodgers would just tell us what his problem is then we could stop speculating, lol.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:49 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think @ Giants is probably a win. That team isn't good. I think you get one win out of the Bears/Vikings divisional game. 

Realistically this is a 10-6 caliber team, but 11-5 isn't impossible considering our luck with close games so far this year.

You honestly expect 2-3 throughout the rest of the schedule with 3-2 being lucky? Assign a win probability to each of the remaining games and try again. 

43 minutes ago, lrs3 said:

You honestly expect 2-3 throughout the rest of the schedule with 3-2 being lucky? Assign a win probability to each of the remaining games and try again. 

No, we'll finish 3-2 in all likelihood, but the advanced stats are all saying that with average luck and an average schedule, this is 9.5 win team

• Like 1