Front Office and Coaching Staff News

.Buzz

On 1/3/2020 at 1:43 PM, .Buzz said:

This should go a long way regardless if Dave and Marrone are the answer or not.

There was rumblings the coaching staff wasn't thrilled with the Taven or Quincy Williams picks. I'm sure there were others.

i cant fault them much on taven on Quincy.   taven was based on potential cuz he was a hell of an athlete and late 1st was were he was mocked.   Quincu was a reach and half and has done nothing to show me he was worth the pick. he seems injury prone to me.  i would have grabbed a hndful of other guys but some we didnt need. 

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

i cant fault them much on taven on Quincy.   taven was based on potential cuz he was a hell of an athlete and late 1st was were he was mocked.   Quincu was a reach and half and has done nothing to show me he was worth the pick. he seems injury prone to me.  i would have grabbed a hndful of other guys but some we didnt need. 

I disagree it’s partly the reason this team has the issues that it has drafting for potential instead of football players. I said from the gate that Taven wasn’t going to amount to stud level he can turn into a solid nfl pro but he’ll never be an elite level dude. He has all the tools but he didn’t start playing Dlineman until he got to UF. What is Taven’s main issue on the football field? Has flashes where he’ll blow a play up and the ball carrier still goes for a 2-3 yard gain after Taven stops him 4-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I wonder why that happens? Maybe he’s not instinctually sound because he didn’t play the position until he got to college? Who knows 🤷‍♂️. Same reason the Bortles pick was retarded hand a franchise over to a guy who didn’t play QB full time until his sr yr in high school... that’s not smart. When will they learn?

7 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I disagree it’s partly the reason this team has the issues that it has drafting for potential instead of football players. I said from the gate that Taven wasn’t going to amount to stud level he can turn into a solid nfl pro but he’ll never be an elite level dude. He has all the tools but he didn’t start playing Dlineman until he got to UF. What is Taven’s main issue on the football field? Has flashes where he’ll blow a play up and the ball carrier still goes for a 2-3 yard gain after Taven stops him 4-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I wonder why that happens? Maybe he’s not instinctually sound because he didn’t play the position until he got to college? Who knows 🤷‍♂️. Same reason the Bortles pick was retarded hand a franchise over to a guy who didn’t play QB full time until his sr yr in high school... that’s not smart. When will they learn?

Well when you pick without the coaches having any input like it's been the past few years apparently...that's what happens.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Well when you pick without the coaches having any input like it's been the past few years apparently...that's what happens.

To continue you have to draft play makers for instance Simmons isn’t your prototype LB. But what does he have he has off the chart measurable but he also possesses that ability that when you turn the tape on you see a play maker you see the ability to create crazy mismatches with his ability. Imagine being in that NFC wildcard game and being able to line Simmons up on Rudolph.. trying to prevent that TD would have been a nice battle to watch.. everybody knew Williams was on the menu when they saw him lined up. Jags need ball players who will make plays not just the regular run of the mill play. 

50 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

To continue you have to draft play makers for instance Simmons isn’t your prototype LB. But what does he have he has off the chart measurable but he also possesses that ability that when you turn the tape on you see a play maker you see the ability to create crazy mismatches with his ability. Imagine being in that NFC wildcard game and being able to line Simmons up on Rudolph.. trying to prevent that TD would have been a nice battle to watch.. everybody knew Williams was on the menu when they saw him lined up. Jags need ball players who will make plays not just the regular run of the mill play. 

Exactly.

Not sure we've had a guy like that. Gip def was elite as far as trailing TEs and Jack has freak ability but Simmons is a different level.

Watching Schwartz do what he does with Malcolm Jenkins makes me want to see him hired and Simmons brought in so badly.

10 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Doug loves misery I hope he keeps Wash they are meant to go down and burn together.

Doug has literally had like the worst gig in the NFL last couple years without a doubt.

If you hate Caldwell/the fact we kept everyone fine, but this isn't Doug's fault. There's just no way you can hear everything that happened behind the scenes from Tom not letting the coaching staff have input on the draft with scouts, to being saddled with Foles/coaches that Coughlin wanted, to having to be an ear for players because they were getting illegal discipline from Tom, etc.

Whether Doug is the answer remains to be seen, but holy hell do I want him to succeed given the ineptitude he's been saddled with more than anything.

Edited by .Buzz

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Doug has literally had like the worst gig the last couple years.

If you hate Caldwell/the fact we kept everyone fine, but this isn't Doug's fault. There's just no way you can hear everything that happened behind the scenes from Tom not letting the coaching staff have input on the draft with scouts, to being saddled with Foles/coaches that Coughlin wanted, to having to be an ear for players because they were getting illegal discipline from Tom, etc.

I was firmly against Doug hiring Wash to begin with before the 2017 season started I stated the season would be firmly placed on the shoulders of Wash. I said that Wash was the X factor low and behold Myles Jack down or not.. no one ever bring up 3rd and 18. Of course you’re not going fire him off of that season.. but you’ve had 2 other of seasons of subpar play and you haven’t made a change yet. Therefore Doug has to take some responsibility you hired Wash no body told Doug that he had to retain him. He’s been able to add coaches these past 2 off seasons after a piss poor coached team in 18 another piss poor coached team in 19. So when the team is trash in 2020 who are we going to blame then? Does Doug take ownership for anything? 

11-16: Gus’s fault

17: Just Lucky

18: Bortles fault

19: Tom Coughlin’s fault

20: ????

55 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I was firmly against Doug hiring Wash to begin with before the 2017 season started I stated the season would be firmly placed on the shoulders of Wash. I said that Wash was the X factor low and behold Myles Jack down or not.. no one ever bring up 3rd and 18. Of course you’re not going fire him off of that season.. but you’ve had 2 other of seasons of subpar play and you haven’t made a change yet. Therefore Doug has to take some responsibility you hired Wash no body told Doug that he had to retain him. He’s been able to add coaches these past 2 off seasons after a piss poor coached team in 18 another piss poor coached team in 19. So when the team is trash in 2020 who are we going to blame then? Does Doug take ownership for anything? 

11-16: Gus’s fault

17: Just Lucky

18: Bortles fault

19: Tom Coughlin’s fault

20: ????

Look at the coaching staff. A lot of these guys were hired with direct ties to Coughlin. They literally hired an OC based on an FA acquisition to rekindle the great play of Foles here. Todd Wash literally sat in on those HC interviews back in 2016-2017 if I remember right.

Doug has his faults 100 percent, but if you think he's been the one making the decisions on most everything a normal HC would have authority on your mistaken, imo. 

If next year is more of the same than of course he will be at fault. From what it sounds like Marrone has just as much personnel power as Dave now. My worry is the cupboards or so damn barren as is and unless we come away with a great FA class and kill it in the draft it's going to be hard to see this team make the playoffs unless an 8-8/9-7 team squeaks in (which imo, is doable for us).

Edited by .Buzz

19 hours ago, .Buzz said:

My worry is the cupboards or so damn barren as is and unless we come away with a great FA class and kill it in the draft it's going to be hard to see this team make the playoffs unless an 8-8/9-7 team squeaks in (which imo, is doable for us).

Edited by DuvalsKing

44 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Teams fall off/get better every year. I don't care what a schedule says a year out.

With teams with QBs like:

Baltimore 

KC

Hou 

thats 3 playoff births pretty much locked barring the QBs having a significant injury. This team right now QBs aside are not even better than the Colts. The Titans have been slapping Doug around even in his 10-6 yr they beat him 2x.. Jags can’t even get out the basement of the division.. but are suppose to compete for a playoff birth in 20? Which is why I’m not high on Minshew he’s doing good things but the rest of the league as far as QBs go are just playing the QB position on another level. Even if you get Minshew from last season.. next year that’s not going to cut it. The elite put the foot on the gas early it’s not spotty play hot streak here cold for 2 quarters there.. but you can say well that not Minshew’s fault it’s his coaching... Well you can’t say that because that would help the argument that the coaching was bad.. I know, I know TC was taking up rent in everyone’s heads to effect schemes, game planning, and overall team readiness.

Edited by DuvalsKing

Just now, DuvalsKing said:

With teams with QBs like:

Baltimore 

KC

Hou 

thats 3 playoff births pretty much locked barring the QBs having a significant injury. This team right now QBs aside are not even better than the Colts. The Titans have been slapping Doug around even in his 10-6 yr they beat him 2x.. Jags can’t even get out the basement of the division.. but are suppose to compete for a playoff birth in 20? Which is why I’m not high on Minshew he’s doing good things but the rest of the league as far as QBs go are just playing the QB position on another level. Even if you get Minshew from last season.. next year that’s not going to cut it. The elite put the foot on the gas early it’s not spotty play hot streak here cold for 2 quarters there.. but you can say well that not Minshew’s fault it’s his coaching... Well you can’t say that that would help the argument that the coaching was bad.. I know, I knowTC was taking up rent in everyone’s heads to effect schemes, game planning, and overall team readiness.

So we're going to assume a rookie QB who got thrown into the fire with a poor supporting cast outside of Fournette and Chark will be at best what he was last year?

Regardless, I never said we'd make the playoffs. As we sit now we aren't close. But we have an entire FA and draft with two firsts to go to fill holes/add talent. I said we can be competitive and win 8-9 games potentially. 

If you want to sit here on January 7th and feel like the sky is falling for next year/nothing will work out for us then you do you.