2019 Coaching Carousel Thread

Texansfan713

Man, the Pac12 at one point had a bunch of really good coaches. 

This year alone to lose Leach, Petersen, and Tucker to replace them with Rolovich, Lake, and Dorrell is awful. Rolovich and Lake could prove successful, but the name value took a big dive for the time being. Plus, Clay Helton is somehow still employed. 

3 Pac12 gigs open up, at least 2 of which were late openings, and Bryan Harsin STILL being at Boise is absolutely criminal. 

• Like 3

On 2/22/2020 at 6:44 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Man, the Pac12 at one point had a bunch of really good coaches. 

This year alone to lose Leach, Petersen, and Tucker to replace them with Rolovich, Lake, and Dorrell is awful. Rolovich and Lake could prove successful, but the name value took a big dive for the time being. Plus, Clay Helton is somehow still employed. 

3 Pac12 gigs open up, at least 2 of which were late openings, and Bryan Harsin STILL being at Boise is absolutely criminal. 

Harsin is top dog in the mid-majors.  Why would he leave Boise for a mid-tier Power Five team like Colorado or Wazzu?  Even Washington is a tough move, considering that they stand to lose the most when Helton gets replaced by a big name/recruiter at USC.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Harsin is top dog in the mid-majors.  Why would he leave Boise for a mid-tier Power Five team like Colorado or Wazzu?  Even Washington is a tough move, considering that they stand to lose the most when Helton gets replaced by a big name/recruiter at USC.  

I don't necessarily think he would leave for a mid-tier P5. But in the last 3 years we've seen Washington, Oregon, and Arizona St. all open up as well- all of which I would put in the upper tier of the Pac12. To me, it's more surprising that it seems like he's barely been linked to any P5 jobs it would make sense for him to take. I agree, he's absolutely the top dog in the mids, so maybe he pulls a Petersen and stays put for as long as he likes. Still, though, of all the jobs I've seen opening up in recent years, it has never felt like there was a serious push for him from any program as his resume would otherwise warrant. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

UGA stealing Bama's S&C coach. Interesting.

He’s supposedly their new special teams asst coach or something.  He wanted to be an on the field coach but Saban wasn’t willing to offer it.  With the rash of injuries we’ve had the last few years, maybe it was time for a new S&C coach as well. 

6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

He’s supposedly their new special teams asst coach or something.  He wanted to be an on the field coach but Saban wasn’t willing to offer it.  With the rash of injuries we’ve had the last few years, maybe it was time for a new S&C coach as well. 

I heard that is possibly why they let him go all those injuries, that along with not wanting him to be a on the field coach like you said, not sure how good of a special teams coordinator he would be honestly, he is a rah rah guy.  Maybe defensive assistant but I guess special teams needs juice as well. 

Maybe Saban wanted a new voice and fresh face in that strength and conditioning program.  Cochran was great and was a gigantic part of that program for a long time though no doubt, he was there for a very long time, will be curious who they replace him with.  Heck Cochran was even in commercials with Nick Saban a few times this past year, will probably be good to get a fresh voice in there.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 9:56 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

UGA stealing Bama's S&C coach. Interesting.

Yeah, it definitely is.  It seems that Saban wasn't moving him from S&C, so if he wanted to get on the field, this is a great opportunity.  I was wondering why it took us so long to announce something, I guess there was a lot of back and forth from Cochran on both sides.  I thought we would've put a bow on it with Hartley taking over special teams in addition to tight-ends.  

Cochran has his work cut out for him.  He's got to replace a fan favorite at kicker in Blankenship- who was a generational talent to boot- and improve the return game which was woefully inadequate last year.  

One thing that works in his favor- special teams work with all position groups, just like S&C, so he will know how to relate.  I've also heard he is a master motivator which is key.  

Also interested to see where Alabama goes from here.  I've heard they like the guy at Oregon.  

• 1 month later...