Best Snyder Era Players - Linebacker

MKnight82

Best Linebacker  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been the best Linebacker in the Snyder Era?

• Lavar Arrington
    • Jeremiah Trotter
    • Lemar Marshall
    • Antonio Pierce
    • Marcus Washington
    • Rocky McIntosh
    • London Fletcher
    • Zach Brown
    • Other (specify)

The defensive front voting is a little tough because we switched schemes when Shanahan took over.  I'm going to break it up into EDGE, DL, & LBers.  If anyone has a better suggestion for this let me know, or if anyone disagrees with where I've put players let me know that too.  

A few Rules:

- You are to only take into consideration that player's contributions to the Redskins.  For instance, Adrian Peterson has had a HOF career, but hasn't had that kind of impact for the Redskins.  

- The players must have been acquired after the Snyder era began.  So someone like Darrel Green does not qualify.  

- Let's stay away from current rookies as they haven't even finished a single season yet.  

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Fletcher. I loved Arrington but he didn’t live up to his potential bc of injuries and the dispute with Gregg.

His injuries came in 2004 and then after he left the Redskins and got in that bike accident. His contract dispute was the issue which he sat out. Then Gregg Williams decided to bench him and make him an example. Now he has to Cease and Disist on calling himself a Redskin Great although he was voted as one of the 80 greatest Redskins. 

Arrington was a feared pass rusher. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mike23md said:

His injuries came in 2004 and then after he left the Redskins and got in that bike accident. His contract dispute was the issue which he sat out. Then Gregg Williams decided to bench him and make him an example. Now he has to Cease and Disist on calling himself a Redskin Great although he was voted as one of the 80 greatest Redskins. 

I think you're more in love of the idea of Arrington rather than what he really was.  I voted for London Fletcher.  I'd have Marcus Washington #2, and then I'd have Arrington after both of them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I think you're more in love of the idea of Arrington rather than what he really was.  I voted for London Fletcher.  I'd have Marcus Washington #2, and then I'd have Arrington after both of them.  

Nevertheless, Lavar Arrington was the most purely talented LB.  But yes, from a production stand point Fletcher blows him away.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 3:44 PM, mike23md said:

A feared pass-rusher with one double-digit sack season, which was the only season where he had over six sacks.  That 11 sack season accounts for nearly half of his career 23.5 sacks.  Mike Mamula is considered a draft bust (coming off his big combine performance) for his 77 game career with 31.5 sacks.  So what does that make Arrington?  

In my opinion, if you made a poll for most overrated Redskin, he would be my pick no doubt.  The production doesn't match the draft slot, nor does it match with what we remember of the guy.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

A feared pass-rusher with one double-digit sack season, which was the only season where he had over six sacks.  That 11 sack season accounts for nearly half of his career 23.5 sacks.  Mike Mamula is considered a draft bust (coming off his big combine performance) for his 77 game career with 31.5 sacks.  So what does that make Arrington?  

In my opinion, if you made a poll for most overrated Redskin, he would be my pick no doubt.  The production doesn't match the draft slot, nor does it match with what we remember of the guy.  

That's exactly our point, Lavar wasn't put in position to do what he did best enough by the coaching staff. He was a LB who should have been attacking the line of scrimmage and making plays in the run game and as a pass rusher - especially on 3rd down. It's clear he was a great pass rusher - he proved that when Marvin Lewis was coaching him - but Gregg wanted him in coverage which, was a waste of his talent.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That's exactly our point, Lavar wasn't put in position to do what he did best enough by the coaching staff. He was a LB who should have been attacking the line of scrimmage and making plays in the run game and as a pass rusher - especially on 3rd down. It's clear he was a great pass rusher - he proved that when Marvin Lewis was coaching him - but Gregg wanted him in coverage which, was a waste of his talent.

One season of 11 sacks doesn't prove he was actually in the position to do what he does/did best though, or that he was destined for any kind of measured success.  Hence why I go back to most overrated.  

17 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

One season of 11 sacks doesn't prove he was actually in the position to do what he does/did best though, or that he was destined for any kind of measured success.  Hence why I go back to most overrated.  

Actually it does, it proves what he was capable of if he was asked to be a pass rusher more often. I watched those games, Lavar was able to get 11 sacks by only being a 3rd down pass rusher. That’s incredible.

If Lavar hasn’t gotten hurt, hadn’t been demonized by Gregg Williams and had been used as a situational pass rusher on 3rd downs throughout his career, he would have continued to put pressure on the QB through out his career.

Saying he couldn’t do it when everyone knows the reason why that happened is bc his coach didn’t allow him to rush the passer, just doesn’t pass the smell test. 

How Gregg treated Lavar just showed how stubborn he was. And Gregg’s stubbornness is why he wears out his welcome everywhere he goes and hasn’t gotten a head coaching job since the Bills job 16 or 17 years ago.

I loved Greg’s defenses but how he refused to play Lavar in the way that Lavar would be most effective - how Marvin Lewis & Marty used him - continues to be my biggest gripe about Gregg a decade later.