GDT Week 14: Denver Broncos @ Houston Texans: Drewcember continues!

iLikeDefense

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly, that whole piece sounds like it got overblown.   The HC routinely gets asked that kind of stuff - punt vs. go on 4th and 2 from 40+, 1 pt vs. 2 pt conversion, etc.    Mountain out of a mole hill IMO.

Situational football is the correct phrase it's why NE beat Seattle in the title game and why we lost to them.

I’ll say this much about Lock after watching him play and especially after seeing his interviews this week. The dude is absolutely dripping with confidence and it’s pretty obvious that the players all really like him. At least for now, we finally have a quarterback that has legit swagger again. And not in a way that makes you hate him. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Just curious, did anyone notice how well the left side of our OL played? I just finally saw about 20 offensive snaps and what I saw was the best performance from that side we've seen in years.

Didn’t pay attention.  Will say though, at least according to PFF, even with Bolles laughable play for half a season, he still has a solid 68 grade.  For comparison, Wilkinson has a 62. 

This team still needs another OT.  I don’t think Bolles has done enough to be counted on.

Just now, germ-x said:

Didn’t pay attention.  Will say though, at least according to PFF, even with Bolles laughable play for half a season, he still has a solid 68 grade.  For comparison, Wilkinson has a 62. 

This team still needs another OT.  I don’t think Bolles has done enough to be counted on.

I don't disagree. I just think it's worth keeping an eye on. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't disagree. I just think it's worth keeping an eye on. 

This is interesting though...according to PFF (and I don’t hold any of these evaluations as better than another) even with Bolles penalties (and PFF accounts for that) they have Bolles as Denver’s highest graded OL.  It’s Bolles (68) Risner (66), McGovern (66), Wilkinson (62), Leary (58). 

23 minutes ago, germ-x said:

This is interesting though...according to PFF (and I don’t hold any of these evaluations as better than another) even with Bolles penalties (and PFF accounts for that) they have Bolles as Denver’s highest graded OL.  It’s Bolles (68) Risner (66), McGovern (66), Wilkinson (62), Leary (58). 

I get to watch about 40 plays per game. It's non-biased and shows both bad and good. Things that stuck out were how well our young LB's played, Hollins, Reed and AJ, and how the young guys Purcell and Jones are starting to make an impact. Also, the difference between Sutton this year and last is remarkable. Also, looks like Simmons is starting to get the safety role. I used to equate "soft" with his play but Sunday he was anything but.

Real interesting though, I never saw Bolles get beat. He stonewalled Bosa and Ingram and did a number on James on a Safety blitz. He played really well.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the last 4 games. It'd be wonderful if all the above becomes a trend.

11 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I get to watch about 40 plays per game. It's non-biased and shows both bad and good. Things that stuck out were how well our young LB's played, Hollins, Reed and AJ, and how the young guys Purcell and Jones are starting to make an impact. Also, the difference between Sutton this year and last is remarkable. Also, looks like Simmons is starting to get the safety role. I used to equate "soft" with his play but Sunday he was anything but.

Real interesting though, I never saw Bolles get beat. He stonewalled Bosa and Ingram and did a number on James on a Safety blitz. He played really well.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the last 4 games. It'd be wonderful if all the above becomes a trend.

I would love it if Bolles would finally step up and perform to his athletic ability. That’s one more pick we could use somewhere else on the O-line. But he would have to play lights out for the rest of the season, and I do mean LIGHTS OUT. I just don’t see that happening. Sure would be nice though. 

12 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I would love it if Bolles would finally step up and perform to his athletic ability. That’s one more pick we could use somewhere else on the O-line. But he would have to play lights out for the rest of the season, and I do mean LIGHTS OUT. I just don’t see that happening. Sure would be nice though. 

It would be wouldn't. I'd suggest focusing on that side for a while during the game, not just when a flag is thrown.

I'd really love to get some input from someone watching the OL in real time. I mean, for the first 2 seconds of every play it's where the action is anyway. Basically watching a dozen or so huge guys in a licensed and legal brawl. I always get a kick out of it.

6 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

The thing with Bolles is he should be really good.  He has the length and the athleticism...only knock is he’s undersized.   But he really doesn’t lose because of that.  He loses because of poor technique and bone headed decisions.  This has happened for 3 years now.  Early in the year (seems like he may have grown from this) but he was called for 2 holding penalties on plays that were designed to go outside the RT.  The player he was blocking has no chance at making the play.  Just inexcusable penalties if you understand football.

42 minutes ago, germ-x said:

The thing with Bolles is he should be really good.  He has the length and the athleticism...only knock is he’s undersized.   But he really doesn’t lose because of that.  He loses because of poor technique and bone headed decisions.  This has happened for 3 years now.  Early in the year (seems like he may have grown from this) but he was called for 2 holding penalties on plays that were designed to go outside the RT.  The player he was blocking has no chance at making the play.  Just inexcusable penalties if you understand football.

One thing that jumped out at me was his sets in pass-pro. He used to be terrible, he'd drop a few yards faster than a DE could get off the ball. At least a yard or two behind his own LG.

Watch him now. Initial sets are much more shallow, he's engaging the defender fast and bein' fairly nasty about it.  Keeping his depth matching Risners.

For me it's night and day between his Bears game and last week.  Anyway, he's still got a lot to prove but as I said earlier, definitely worth keeping an eye on.

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Bolles has had great games in his career against some great pass rushers. The problem is his bad games snowball out of control and kill the offense (and entire team). I really don't know what you do with a player like that. 

You let it play out doubt he regresses more under Munchak