***Spoilers*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Deadpulse

15 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Sooooo

I enjoyed it. It's not a good movie and it played like fan fiction (in a bad way), but I didnt hate it either. The pacing was horrendous, almost like they were simultaneously fitting more than they could into the movie and trying to hid the flaws by moving so fast you dont even realize what  youve seen until something completely different is happening. The plot is a garbled mess, mostly due to structure. Time has no meaning in this flick. The saber battles were mediocre IMO. There were what, three McGuffins in this flick? Rey, the dagger, and the sith GPS? 

My biggest complaint was that Rey DID NOT need to be Palpatine's granddaughter. What a pile of crap. Despite the fact that the Emporer was poorly handled and explained in general, we didn't need forced familial ties to push the narrative. TLJ set it up fine when Snoke said the light rises to meet the darkness. Since Palp was puppeteer to Snoke, those are his words anyways. Just make Palp need to be struck down by the rising light to create his new emporer. This is the only thing I hated, Rey Palpatine. 

Side note: I am trying to rationalize why Leia's body didnt dissipate right away. She was using force projections to bring back Ben Solo and died from the strain much like Luke did in TLJ. My first thought is that those who mastered force ghosts have their corporeal forms disappear. Leia, Yoda, Luke, and Obiwan all dissipated and force ghosted. You could argue that Anakin also dissipated and they were only burning Vader's armor to line this up and while Ben didnt force ghost its wouldnt be out of the realm of possibility that Luke taught him to do it prior to the split. However, that still does not explain why it took so long for Leia's body to disappear. The reason I WANT it to be is that the skywalker line was a manifestation of the force (IE Anakin is force jesus) to help bring balance to the force by ending Palpatine and once he was gone, all skywalkers merged back into the force and THATS why Leia didnt dissipate until then (Lucky all the Skywalkers died doing it, but that couldve been the Forces plan all along). The only reason that checks all the boxes is that she somehow transferred her light or some piece of her into Kylo Ren to bring back Ben Solo and was apart of him so when he died she officially/actually died. IDK

Good point about Leia's body.  I can't explain it, because the only time it happened in Legends was when Jacen Solo turned to the Dark Side, he killed Mara Jade Skywalker in a lightsaber duel and her body didn't immediately dissipate.  Instead, it happened at her funeral when Jacen came into the room as a clue for Luke and their son to pick up on.  Maybe they become Force Ghosts when they are finally at peace?  This is a power that should be learned according to Yoda's final mission to Obi-Wan at the end of Revenge of the Sith, but I imagine any powerful Jedi like the Skywalker family could become Force Ghosts without training in that realm of the Force.  

13 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

The only thing I didn't like about the "whole Sith history in me" vs. Rey and all the Jedi within her was that it seemed stolen from HP and the Deathly Hallows, where all of Voldemort's victims come ut to help Harry blow him away.

Which is fine as far as I'm concerned, because when I first read HP7, I was convinced the whole horcrux hunt was a rip off of the vision Lucas had for this trilogy.... ie The Skywalkers hunting down the clones of Palpatine.  I am basing that solely on interviews I read from him and glanacing thru fan posts on various sites.  I never read any of the expanded universe stuff that was considered canon by many.

Palpatine had a resurrection arc in The Dark Empire comic books in multiple clone bodies (through a power called Essence Transfer) but that was the extent of Palpatine's return.  Much of the EU was defeating the Empire, growing the Jedi Order and then the Yuuzhan Vong arc, Jacen Solo's arc falling to the Dark Side and then the Abeloth arc, plus a comic series set 120-ish years after Yavin.  

9 hours ago, FosterTheSkins said:

Haven't seen it yet but Rey & Ben's story is an amalgam of Darth Revan & Bastilla with Jacen Solo replanted in Revan's place.

Two enemies fall in love and develop a force bond.  The guy comes from a famous family and the pressure of it drives him evil.   

The son of Han & Leia is corrupted by the Dark Side and he kills a close family member to prove his loyalty to his master/the Dark Side.  So we kind of got a different version of the Jacen Solo's story.  Its just the bird he fancies trying to bring him back instead of his sister which is where the Bastilla and Revan story takes over.

TFA set up from the start a romantic angle between Rey & Kylo and TLJ only cemented their feelings.

You're going to have to explain that one better, because I'm not seeing it and I might be the biggest KOTOR/SWTOR fan around.  

8 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I already explained this like a couple of pages ago but yes Anakin is the Chosen One. Lucas came right out and made it clear in a interview. Kinda JK Rowling of him to do that, but still its canon.

Heres where people got it wrong about the prophecy being misread. 

The comment about misreading the prophecy is whether or not one believed the Force was being brought into balance by the destruction of the Sith, or by the destruction of the Jedi.  To me, I don't think that comment is anything about who the Chosen One is, and it's pretty clear in the 3rd and 6th movie exactly who that person is, as he caused both to happen.  

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

He did, murdered him in his sleep. Plag could "bring others back from life, but not himself" (at least this was the line Palp fed Anakin, desperate to save Padme).... but now it seems old Palp did just that and brought himself back from a 200 ft drop into a reactor + death star exploding. 

Rise of Skywalker also contradicts the story of Darth Plagueis.  Palpatine lures Anakin to the Dark Side with the talk of saving Padme's life and stopping death, and once Mace is out of the picture, he admits to not knowing, saying "if we work together, we can uncover the secret."  

So, if the Sith live in him one after the other, which we can take from what was going to happen to Rey, and how she was "empowered" by the Force Ghosts of other Jedi, how the hell does Sidious not know the secrets that Plagueus knew.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Like it or not this is now lore, so I guess I have to try and understand it.

So did Palpatine have to be struck down by a lightsaber specifically in order to... transfer "himself" (and every sith before him) into Rey? Was defeated by a loophole (his own lightning turned against him)?

It seemed to me Palp DID die at end of ROtJ, that was the implication I got from the opening scene. It's why his eyes are glossed over until he sucks life force out of Rey and Ben. Through dark side of the force he was able to survive after death and somehow "revive" himself and return to his old body, or perhaps even restore it as best he could. Not to mention, him in fact dying really seems to be the only possible explanation when you recall ROtJ...

Reveal hidden contents

So with that said, what's to stop him from coming back again?... Also, Palp escaping death walks back the iconic line (not only iconic for the meme) of Plagueis not being able to save himself...

So with that said, what's to stop him from coming back again?... Also Palp escapying death walks back the iconic line (if not only iconic for the meme) of Plagueis not being able to save himself...

I'm going to take his defeat as Rey being able to create a conduit of Force lightning, similar to what Mace did in their duel on Coruscant.  But Palpatine was now fighting for his life, not creating a show to draw Anakin further to the Dark Side at this point, so he's going all out with his power.  So once that is not just being deflected, but deflected at him, it's enough to not only destroy his body, but his "essence" to use a similar term from the EU.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Theres alot of theories about that.

But thats another hang up on the whole new trilogy. If Palpatine managed to discover the secret of everlasting life why would he bother with having a child? He's the ultimate narcissistic and meglamaniac and having a child is not just about procreation like for some people in power its about continuing and carrying on their legacy.

So why the grandaughter twist?

The biggest plot hole with the parents is that Palpatine even had a son and allowed him to live, someone who could be an equal in Force potential.  It just doesn't make sense

1 minute ago, Manny/Patrick said:

How awesome would it have been if

Rey can’t get up

Anakin defends palpatines strike

”Time to fulfill the prophecy”

Obiwan, Mace Windu, Yoda, Quigonn all started fighting Palpatine

I was expected Anakin to have some sort of role, because they already established that Force Ghosts can affect the world around them, which was different from the EU.  And both movies proved that, so it's not something that they wrote in and wrote out.  

That is another problem I have with the whole trilogy.  There is a ready made universe here, and they went about deconstructing it when they didn't have to.  Force Ghosts are one.  The other big one is lightspeed/hyperspace, and they did it in all three movies of the sequel trilogy.  

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I was expected Anakin to have some sort of role, because they already established that Force Ghosts can affect the world around them, which was different from the EU.  And both movies proved that, so it's not something that they wrote in and wrote out.  

That is another problem I have with the whole trilogy.  There is a ready made universe here, and they went about deconstructing it when they didn't have to.  Force Ghosts are one.  The other big one is lightspeed/hyperspace, and they did it in all three movies of the sequel trilogy.  

I still don’t understand how they spoke to Rey, Quigon died to learn that ability. Yoda and Luke figures it out. Anakin I suppose could because he was so powerful, but he was also a sith. Than you got these B list cartoon characters who IDK who tf they are but they have the same abilities as Yoda and Luke

1 hour ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Rebel Fleet Appears

Palpatine: So Anyway, I started blastin

Yea this doesn't make sense. How does he destroy a sky full of massive ships but cant seem to blast rey away with two lightsabers? She wasnt even a match for Ren (something they actually did right this time) when he was at full power. 

43 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The comment about misreading the prophecy is whether or not one believed the Force was being brought into balance by the destruction of the Sith, or by the destruction of the Jedi.  To me, I don't think that comment is anything about who the Chosen One is, and it's pretty clear in the 3rd and 6th movie exactly who that person is, as he caused both to happen.  

Yea and Anakin was it. He made a last second decision to rid the Force of Palpatine's destructive nature and save his son at the cost of his own life. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The biggest plot hole with the parents is that Palpatine even had a son and allowed him to live, someone who could be an equal in Force potential.  It just doesn't make sense

Exactly especially when for the longest time his ambition and goals centered around becoming chancellor and the hints that he knew Anakin before he even left Tatooine.