***Spoilers*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Deadpulse

On 12/20/2019 at 12:06 PM, Outpost31 said:

Also, I’m not gonna be hard on people who hate this movie.  That is some crazy absurd stuff I’ve read.  I’m going to make it work and try to love this as much as I can because there are too few Star Wars movies to harp on things and there will clearly be loads of enjoyable stuff in this movie, but...

Star Wars fans deserve better.  Billions and billions and billions of dollars, literally has to be close to 100 billion dollars when considering ancillary markets, and we have one flawless trilogy to show for it.  I’m confident in saying that me, @Calvert28 and a room full of 6 other people who have gotten into heated discussions on Star Wars, plus @Malfatron, could write a better trilogy than what we’ve been given.  Disney should be ashamed and embarrassed.  

Sir, this is a Wendy's. 

• Like 3

On 12/20/2019 at 8:26 PM, Lions017 said:

Saw it last night. It was...ok? 

I absolutely hate how "extreme" Star Wars fandom seems to be. You can't just think that a movie was OK or decent or pretty good. Everything has to be either amazing or the worst thing ever that destroyed your childhood or something ridiculous. Can a movie just be...ok? 

I mean, I wouldn't put it in my Top 3 Star Wars movies, but it wouldn't go in my Bottom 3 either. 

Image result for clapping gif"

Entitlement is a hell of a drug. :)

Edited by PapaShogun

Just now, PapaShogun said:

The biggest divide between these groups of people is a knowledge of the previously established rules, an expectation that those rules will be followed, and a tendency to think critically about the new possibilities that are brought up.

If you're a big fan of Star Wars, things like the light speed skipping at the beginning piss you off because, "light speed travelling isn't like dusting crops kid, one miscalculation and you're likely to end up inside of a star," is something that Han Solo said in the originals. Ships can't just bounce from light speed shot to light speed shot because trillions of data points need to be calculated to make sure the ship isn't going to blow itself up. Then we get light speed skipping, which just tells that concept to F right off.

Same thing with Holdo's light speed ram in the last one. This is posing the question of, "Wait, why isn't everybody just light speed ramming each other's ships?" 

+++

I also am completely baffled at the idea that Palpatine was able to build and staff, "The largest fleet the galaxy has ever seen", in complete secret on an ice planet in uncharted space. Nobody noticed the billions of tons of metal ore and the millions of people, and what I have to imagine was quadrillions of dollars in provisions heading out into deep space? Come on. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The biggest divide between these groups of people is a knowledge of the previously established rules, an expectation that those rules will be followed, and a tendency to think critically about the new possibilities that are brought up.

If you're a big fan of Star Wars, things like the light speed skipping at the beginning piss you off because, "light speed travelling isn't like dusting crops kid, one miscalculation and you're likely to end up inside of a star," is something that Han Solo said in the originals. Ships can't just bounce from light speed shot to light speed shot because trillions of data points need to be calculated to make sure the ship isn't going to blow itself up. Then we get light speed skipping, which just tells that concept to F right off.

Same thing with Holdo's light speed ram in the last one. This is posing the question of, "Wait, why isn't everybody just light speed ramming each other's ships?" 

+++

I also am completely baffled at the idea that Palpatine was able to build and staff, "The largest fleet the galaxy has ever seen", in complete secret on an ice planet in uncharted space. Nobody noticed the billions of tons of metal ore and the millions of people, and what I have to imagine was quadrillions of dollars in provisions heading out into deep space? Come on. 

Having read comics for a while, I definitely know about getting irked about continuity errors. Like movies where Batman kills. For me though, I can even get by things like screwing with the spirit of a character based on previously established source material to a degree. Especially, if the main narrative has enough to keep me interested. For example I can get through Tim Burton's Batman which I think is an ok film. I can't get through Zack Snyder's Batman v. Superman, which is a bad movie to me. Batman kills in both films. For some people though, a movie in a franchise of movies is horrible or the greatest ever.

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Exactly. How does the First Order not know about that happening? Or even the rebellion which seems to gather intel about any possible dangers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Rankings of 1-9:

1. Return of the Jedi

2. The Empire Strikes Back

(Rogue One)

3. A New Hope

4. The Rise of Skywalker

5. Revenge of the Sith

(Solo)

6. The Phantom Menace

7. The Force Awakens

8.  Attack of The Clones

9. The Last Jedi

My rankings would be: 

1. TESB 2. ANH 3. RO 4. ROTJ 5. TFA 6. TPM 7. ROTS 8. Solo 9. TROS 10. TLJ 11. AOTC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

+++

It did happen in The Dark Empire with his retreat to Byss, but at least it wasn't on this level so to speak.  In addition to making this ships (wherever it was) he also had to bury them with the Force, and the people who went to crew them years ago would be very old by the time this movie came around.  I also can't believe Frank would care all that much about families.  

The only way they could retcon that would be to have them be slaved together electronically like the Katana Fleet, but even the Katana fleet requires some level of crew to be able to fight.

Also in regards to hyperspace, they aren't supposed to be able to communicate with each other.  Once in hyperspace, a ship or fleet is blind so to speak.  You also shouldn't be able to jump out of a hanger like in TFA as something would be in front of you, directly contradicting the "Holdo maneuver."  Additionally, a planet has a mass shadow which should pull ships from hyperspace before hitting atmosphere, which is even mentioned in Disney canon novels not just the EU, but let's throw all of that out the window as well.  

There are blind jumps, but they don't work the slightest way like they were portrayed here.  

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Dont think people understand fanhood. Being ok with everything really sounds sheepish/ submissive and is not healthy.

This isnt like your girl having guy friends and your supposed to trust her while being ok with it.

Watching these films is like your girl wanting to cuck you with the 3 other guys, inviting you to pay to watch, and if you dont like her doing it then your toxic and never loved her in the first place. To top it all off she'll accuse you of being a russian bot. 

Edited by Calvert28

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The reference made to treating the lightsaber with care and importance (can't remember what Luke specifically said) had my rolling.  That was Stone Cold Steve Austin double middle finger before a Stunner.

Yea so was the whole light against dark while Rian was trying to talk about balance the entire last film.