***Spoilers*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Deadpulse

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Visually stunning. Except what was with the late 70s planet explosion? After the silent beauty of the explosion in TLJ, I thought that was kinda weird. 

so many great twists on iconic shots from the films. I liked it well enough. My biggest gripe was the kiss. Totally unnecessary. The droids provided great comedy, and I thought the saber duels were really cool. 

the rebel fleet showing up at the end was a total endgame ripoff, but looked sooooo cool. I need to watch it again. I see no reason to be bent out of shape about it. Definitely the most entertaining of the non- original trilogy films.

Really? I thought they were underwhelming. Definitely not on par with Episodes 1 and 3. 

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Really? I thought they were underwhelming. Definitely not on par with Episodes 1 and 3. 

I never really liked the prequel lightsaber battles. Too much CGI. These felt very real and less choreographed. I especially enjoyed the fight on the wreckage of the Death Star. 

At any rate I enjoyed the film. It distracted me from reality for a few hours and I genuinely enjoyed the cinematography. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I never really liked the prequel lightsaber battles. Too much CGI. These felt very real and less choreographed. I especially enjoyed the fight on the wreckage of the Death Star. 

At any rate I enjoyed the film. It distracted me from reality for a few hours and I genuinely enjoyed the cinematography. 

Lightsaber battles should be IMO given the nature of how Jedis fight. If it were GOT i would agree.

I hated the lightsaber duels. That first scene with Kylo Ren made me want to scream. You've got a sword that can cut through solid steel, nobody can deflect it, and yet he's swinging it around like a club. 

The one on the deathstar was similarly awful to the worst of the prequels. The number of times where they swung with no intention of hitting the other one and instead were swinning to hit each other's lightsaber made me want to scream.

The original trilogy was great with that. The jedi let the weapon do the work. The prequels were the opposite. They were swinning them around like they were raw machetes and they wanted to make sparks by pounding them together. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I hated the lightsaber duels. That first scene with Kylo Ren made me want to scream. You've got a sword that can cut through solid steel, nobody can deflect it, and yet he's swinging it around like a club. 

The one on the deathstar was similarly awful to the worst of the prequels. The number of times where they swung with no intention of hitting the other one and instead were swinning to hit each other's lightsaber made me want to scream.

The original trilogy was great with that. The jedi let the weapon do the work. The prequels were the opposite. They were swinning them around like they were raw machetes and they wanted to make sparks by pounding them together. 

Well they were at least better then 7 and 8. Those duels were horrific. Particularly in Snoke's throne room. 

Thought it was a good film but there was a lot of issues. Finn was annoying with how many times he would run and scream out Reys name. There was only one ship on the ground when they grabbed chewie no way should he have been still alive.

why couldn’t they just shoot the signal thing with the ships instead of needing ground troops?

Edited by Fresh Prince
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 11:06 PM, Outpost31 said:

Also, I’m not gonna be hard on people who hate this movie.  That is some crazy absurd stuff I’ve read.  I’m going to make it work and try to love this as much as I can because there are too few Star Wars movies to harp on things and there will clearly be loads of enjoyable stuff in this movie, but...

Star Wars fans deserve better.  Billions and billions and billions of dollars, literally has to be close to 100 billion dollars when considering ancillary markets, and we have one flawless trilogy to show for it.  I’m confident in saying that me, @Calvert28 and a room full of 6 other people who have gotten into heated discussions on Star Wars, plus @Malfatron, could write a better trilogy than what we’ve been given.  Disney should be ashamed and embarrassed.  

Its like they forgot they had decades of other source material they could pull from and instead wrote all of it off except Thrawn in a cartoon series.  And maybe a Darth Nihilus statue cameo.  

16 hours ago, blizofoz45 said:

To be fair, Snoke was only a hologram in TFA. He wasn't seen in the flesh. The possibility that he was just a puppet/projection was at least feasible.

Then there was Kylo appearing to have a conversation with Darth Vader's helmet. It didn't make sense unless Kylo was just completely batsh-t crazy. 

The problem is the prequels tie closely into Anakin defeating Palpatine. Bringing him back wrecks the purpose of the first six movies.  Rey being a Palpatine is fine and had she emerged as the central villian in this trilogy it would have been a "daring" twist.

I used quotations because the management at Lucasfilm is way too precious and infantile in it's coddling of female characters. A truly equal person can serve the story in whatever direction it goes.

The issue with Snoke goes beyond how he appears.  Abrams set him up as a talking point to keep everyone invested in the next movie.  It didn't matter if you were a hardcore fan whose read all the books and played the games, to a modest fan or even someone who was new to the franchise.  Everyone was talking about who Snoke was.  People who I work with who know I am big into Star Wars kept asking me about it, including people who I would never peg as having any interest in watching Star Wars.  

So for them to make this dude out to be the leader of things, indicate he has extreme powers in the Force, only to cut him in half and leave him with his tongue lolling out was horrible, terrible storytelling, and took a dump on anyone who was remotely invested in the story and made it seem like it didn't matter.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

I semi wish they had a separate cloning tank off in the distance with Jar Jar in it. You know, just for the laughs.. I mean it would have fit in with the rest of this messy movie.

They easily could have made him a sith lord, even have Palpatine as his master. Palpatine has been setting this up since he led Jar Jar to quigon and ObiWan. He would be a spy, after his defeat to Anakin, he could have told JJ to finish his legacy.

disney just wanted to play it safe, and Abrams doesn’t have the balls to pull that off. 

• Like 1