***Spoilers*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Deadpulse

pretty awful movie. abrams is so mechanical as a director. he hits plot points like he’s checking boxes without actually earning them through the characters, so there’s never any emotional payoff. disappointing, but i’m not hugely surprised. at least the mandalorian’s good lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

pretty awful movie. abrams is so mechanical as a director. he hits plot points like he’s checking boxes without actually earning them through the characters, so there’s never any emotional payoff. disappointing, but i’m not hugely surprised. at least the mandalorian’s good lol

I don't think you can put this on Abrams. I'm not sure it was narratively possible to dig out of the hole he was dropped in.

It would have required going in a direction, a Kylo v Rey conflict, that Disney simply wouldn't have been content with.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think you can put this on Abrams. I'm not sure it was narratively possible to dig out of the hole he was dropped in.

It would have required going in a direction, a Kylo v Rey conflict, that Disney simply wouldn't have been content with.

Abrams couldnt even stick to simple things that bind star wars together. Its possible that might have been Kennedy who decided that, but all in all its still a failure on his part. 

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Abrams couldnt even stick to simple things that bind star wars together. Its possible that might have been Kennedy who decided that, but all in all its still a failure on his part. 

Maybe it's my own failure to imagine, but I'm having a really hard time putting together any kind of coherent narrative that wraps up this trilogy.

If you say you can't put Ren and Rey against each other, you've got to introduce AND wrap up a villain in one movie. You're basically boned at that point. Johnson already buried Hux as any sort of competent character, so you're going to have a hard time even running a Rey/Ren vs. The First Order. 

4 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Dont think people understand fanhood. Being ok with everything really sounds sheepish/ submissive and is not healthy.

This isnt like your girl having guy friends and your supposed to trust her while being ok with it.

Watching these films is like your girl wanting to cuck you with the 3 other guys, inviting you to pay to watch, and if you dont like her doing it then your toxic and never loved her in the first place. To top it all off she'll accuse you of being a russian bot. 

But, like, it’s just a movie...

• Like 4

I did not like this very much. It felt like watching one of those "Star wars in 4 minutes" videos. It was so crammed and rushed that it got exhausting. Very rarely did story beats get time to breath. Also the film reeked of desperation, "you like star wars? Look at this reference", "look the Knights of Ren!", "Look we fixed all these other things you hated about last Jedi". I didn't like parts of TLJ but this backtracking is so weak. They also burnt out the nostalgia so hard that none of struck a chord. 

Best part, as always, was the connection between Rey and Kylo. If only they'd made it more inspired and focused on them, it might have been something. 

I don't blame TLJ for his decisions. This is all on the higher ups not knowing what they wanted. 

Edited by sunnygsm
  • Like 1

I loved the movie. Thank God for Adam Driver though; without him this new trilogy wouldn't have been nearly as successful.
Kylo Ren / Ben Solo was (by far) the best character throughout and definitely controlled the story more than anyone else.

• Like 1

Just now, Nazgul said:

I loved the movie. Thank God for Adam Driver though; without him this new trilogy wouldn't have been nearly as successful.
Kylo Ren / Ben Solo was (by far) the best character throughout and definitely controlled the story more than anyone else.

Best character... Yes. Written well? Not really.

Just now, Nazgul said:

I was fine with the way he was written.

To add on; there was obviously supposed to be some symmetry between Rey and Ben. Both battled the good vs. bad inner demons. I just never for a second believed that Rey was anything other than good (Jedi) as her demons were more "Who are my parents? Who am I in this world?" I just didn't get a lot of growth from her. And that may be credit to Adam Driver again, where I believe he portrayed the inner-struggle within Kyle much better. While I expected a redeeming arc for him, I didn't feel cheated when it happened. And that's probably because he was written better as a character. He had good moments. He had bad moments. So I don't have complaints here. Not about Kyle/Ben at least. 

I would agree that most of the characters weren't flushed out enough, though. That most didn't experience character growth throughout any of all of the new trilogy.

• Like 1

I came away from this film feeling as if Episode VIII was largely useless and it's only defining/noteworthy moment was Luke's death. The terrible editing/trying to tell 90 stories simultaneously in the first 45 minutes only amplified this and made me feel as if THOSE stories should have been Episode VIII (coupled with some way of tying Ben and Rey together) and then everything else in the last 105 minutes should have been Episode IX allowing for it to be more fleshed out.