***Spoilers*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Deadpulse

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Maybe it's my own failure to imagine, but I'm having a really hard time putting together any kind of coherent narrative that wraps up this trilogy.

If you say you can't put Ren and Rey against each other, you've got to introduce AND wrap up a villain in one movie. You're basically boned at that point. Johnson already buried Hux as any sort of competent character, so you're going to have a hard time even running a Rey/Ren vs. The First Order. 

The one would have been Snoke not being a clone at all and instead profited and gained off of things Palpatine was working on. With Palpatine never being brought back.

Or have Ren so far out into left field of what he deems right eventually being brought back to the light through conviction that Rey shows and her dying in the process. The Martyr stories are usually the best ones. 

Can we talk about how this whole series is about how Palpatine screws with this one family?

-force bangs the matriarch to create a short force sensitive 

-spends that child’s entire life manipulating him and buttering him up to embrace the dark side

-eventually makes him the biggest villain in the galaxy after lying about being able to save his wife

-lies about the circumstances of his wife’s death which separated him from his children 

-manipulates a situation where he leads a force to annihilate his daughters adoptive planet and send stork troopers to kill his half brother who raised his son. 

-decades later he survives and undermined the redemption of all that 

-tricks the daughter’s son into killing into becoming a psycho murderer which breaks up her family and sends the son who avenged his father into hiding 

-then has his actual daughter steal the accomplishments of everyone in the family and steal their last name “because” 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Can we talk about how this whole series is about how Palpatine screws with this one family?

-force bangs the matriarch to create a short force sensitive 

-spends that child’s entire life manipulating him and buttering him up to embrace the dark side

-eventually makes him the biggest villain in the galaxy after lying about being able to save his wife

-lies about the circumstances of his wife’s death which separated him from his children 

-manipulates a situation where he leads a force to annihilate his daughters adoptive planet and send stork troopers to kill his half brother who raised his son. 

-decades later he survives and undermined the redemption of all that 

-tricks the daughter’s son into killing into becoming a psycho murderer which breaks up her family and sends the son who avenged his father into hiding 

-then has his actual daughter steal the accomplishments of everyone in the family and steal their last name “because” 

By reinserting Palpatine they basically made him just as integral to the story as the Skywalkers. The Skywalkers and the Palpatines are basically what Star Wars is about.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Rey is still a Palpatine by blood. Thus making the story about two families. 

I know what was in the movie. But she wasnt a Palpatine until like the last 40 minutes of the film. Really it was about Palpatine screwing with the Skywalker family. Which of course don't matter because it was Rey who was meant to kill him anyways appearently. 

Star Wars has been mostly ruined with mediocracy since the first two movies. 

I think A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are both a bare minimum Top 40 movies of all time and I have watched each like 15+ times. After that it’s a huge downturn. Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith are good, barely, movies. The other five are average movies at best. Force Awakens was well done but a complete carbon copy of A New Hope down to the bare bones. 

For me:

1. Empire Strikes Back 10/10

2. A New Hope 10/10

3. Revenge of the Sith 8/10

4. Return of the Jedi 8/10

5. Force Awakens 8.5/10 if you don’t take points for not being original. However, since it wasn’t original at all: 7.5/10

6. Rise of Skywalker 6.5/10

7. Phantom Menace, purely for Dual of Fates 6/10

8. Attack of the Clones 5/10 

9. The Last Jedi 4/10

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Star Wars has been mostly ruined with mediocracy since the first two movies. 

I think A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are both a bare minimum Top 40 movies of all time and I have watched each like 15+ times. After that it’s a huge downturn. Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith are good, barely, movies. The other five are average movies at best. Force Awakens was well done but a complete carbon copy of A New Hope down to the bare bones. 

For me:

1. Empire Strikes Back 10/10

2. A New Hope 10/10

3. Revenge of the Sith 8/10

4. Return of the Jedi 8/10

5. Force Awakens 8.5/10 if you don’t take points for not being original. However, since it wasn’t original at all: 7.5/10

6. Rise of Skywalker 6.5/10

7. Phantom Menace, purely for Dual of Fates 6/10

8. Attack of the Clones 5/10 

9. The Last Jedi 4/10

Its true, nothing has been as good since ESB. But ROTJ, plus the prequels are canon and after this movie IMO are the only 6 canon Star Wars movies.

So my list would be completely identical to yours without the newest trilogy. With maybe RotS and RotJ at 3a and 3b.