Pillaging Miami: Vikings Pro-Bowlers

Vikes_Bolts1228

The way I look at Pro Bowl voting is that it is often just delayed by a year or two.  A lot of times a player who has a season like Kendricks had this year isn't noticed for a year or two in the Pro Bowl voting.  It ends up evening out though because you often see players making it on name recognition alone after they have started to decline.  Kendricks may not make it this year when he really deserves it, but in a few years, he will be voted in when he may not actually deserve it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

The way I look at Pro Bowl voting is that it is often just delayed by a year or two.  A lot of times a player who has a season like Kendricks had this year isn't noticed for a year or two in the Pro Bowl voting.  It ends up evening out though because you often see players making it on name recognition alone after they have started to decline.  Kendricks may not make it this year when he really deserves it, but in a few years, he will be voted in when he may not actually deserve it. 

It should be noted that it took nearly a decade for Antoine Winfield to make the Pro Bowl.  That tells you everything you need to know about the quality of the Pro Bowl selection process (I know it's changed somewhat, but it's still not any good).  

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It should be noted that it took nearly a decade for Antoine Winfield to make the Pro Bowl.  That tells you everything you need to know about the quality of the Pro Bowl selection process (I know it's changed somewhat, but it's still not any good).  

Although I liked Antoine as a player, I never considered him to be a Pro Bowl caliber player.  He was a great tackler, but it just seemed like he seldom made any plays on the ball to get the INT.  It always just seemed like he would wait until the guy he was guarding made the catch and then he tackled him.  It never bothered me all that much that he didn't make the Pro Bowl because of that.  Maybe I'm wrong about him, but that was my perception of the guy.

8 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Although I liked Antoine as a player, I never considered him to be a Pro Bowl caliber player.  He was a great tackler, but it just seemed like he seldom made any plays on the ball to get the INT.  It always just seemed like he would wait until the guy he was guarding made the catch and then he tackled him.  It never bothered me all that much that he didn't make the Pro Bowl because of that.  Maybe I'm wrong about him, but that was my perception of the guy.

That was because that's what the Cover-2 (Tampa 2) defense is designed to do.  Antoine did that because that was what he was supposed to do.  It's why it frustrated so many of us.  And even so, he was always good for a couple of ints every year.  If you were expecting him to be Champ Bailey or Darrelle Revis, no he was not that...but he was a Pro Bowl level CB long before he got there. 

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That was because that's what the Cover-2 (Tampa 2) defense is designed to do.  Antoine did that because that was what he was supposed to do.  It's why it frustrated so many of us.  And even so, he was always good for a couple of ints every year.  If you were expecting him to be Champ Bailey or Darrelle Revis, no he was not that...but he was a Pro Bowl level CB long before he got there. 

I guess I'll take your word on that.  It just seemed like it had been decades since we had a great cornerback before Mike Zimmer got here.

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I guess I'll take your word on that.  It just seemed like it had been decades since we had a great cornerback before Mike Zimmer got here.

They've gotten better overall CB play since Zimmer has been here, but I think I could still make the argument that Winfield is the best Vikings' CB in the last 30 years, if not the entire history of the franchise.  It just depends upon whether you would say that Carl Lee or Bobby Bryant might have been better.  I personally wouldn't, but I'm sure there are people that would feel that way.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

They've gotten better overall CB play since Zimmer has been here, but I think I could still make the argument that Winfield is the best Vikings' CB in the last 30 years, if not the entire history of the franchise.  It just depends upon whether you would say that Carl Lee or Bobby Bryant might have been better.  I personally wouldn't, but I'm sure there are people that would feel that way.  

I guess it depends on how you define "best".  IMO, Xavier Rhodes was considerably better than Winfield.  Rhodes shut down guys like Megatron and Julio Jones.  If Antoine had tried to guard receivers of that size and ability, it would have looked like a 7th grader trying to play basketball 1-on-1 with his brother who is a senior in high school. 

Edited by Uncle Buck