Amari Cooper anyone in free agents

Geno

18 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

A lot of guys  here are looking for a run at Austin Hooper, but when was the last time a top of the market free agent tight end panned out?

When was the last time a top of the league TE hit the market? 

All the best TEs have pretty much played their entire careers in one place. Gonzalez, Gates, Witten, Gronk, Kelce, Olsen, Ertz, even guys like Heath Miller, Delanie Walker, and Jeremy Shockey, they’ve all pretty much stuck around with one team for their entire prime. 

I think that’s because TEs are pretty cheap and the good ones are very valuable for the price. So everyone wants to, and can afford to, keep those guys. The only reason a guy like Hooper (averaging over 50 yards a game the last two seasons) is even a possibility to come available is that the Falcons have really mismanaged their cap situation and might have to let some guys walk. 

If we gave the guy $10M/year, that would match the largest annual salary for a TE in NFL history. That’s basically Jamison Crowder money. That’s a big-time upgrade at a pretty reasonable cost. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

While I wouldn’t mind signing Cooper, I don’t think we definitely need him and I don’t think he’s worth $15 million plus and definitely not worth near $19 a year. That’s where my rub is with Cooper. It’s not the player with me, it’s the cost. He’s going to be looking to be the highest paid WR in the NFL like a Michael Thomas type deal and I don’t think we should be giving him that.

But we have the room to spend is my thing. And a pack of wrs on rookie deals. I dont think its bad to sign him till their rookie deals expire and its time to pay them. Cause thats all going to hit at once.

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

But we have the room to spend is my thing. And a pack of wrs on rookie deals. I dont think its bad to sign him till their rookie deals expire and its time to pay them. Cause thats all going to hit at once.

Yeah but soon we're going to have to start extending our young core. We shouldn’t just spend $ to spend $ like Vinny used to when guys like Allen & Payne are going to need to be extended soon. It all comes down to cost to me for Cooper. He's not worth Michael Thomas $. I guess if Cooper costs like $15 mil a year it might be something I’d do, but Cooper shouldn't be setting the WR market in March.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

As badly as I want Hooper, it’s likely the Falcons either extend him to a LTD or franchise tag him.

Hunter Henry is too injury-prone for me to feel good giving him a big contract. 

It’s going to be hard to fill that TE spot without getting lucky in the draft. 

I'll start scouting

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'll start scouting

There are definitely guys who will be good tight ends. If we do trade Trent, we could take the top few, if not, in round 3 there are a few guys worth selecting. 

1. Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri could be a late first round pick, but most likely a 2nd round pick.

2. Jacob Breeland, TE, Oregon. Late 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's coming off an injury though. He was Herbert’s top target before his injury.

3. Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue. Receiving/move TE who needs to improve as a blocker. Probably a 3rd round pick.

4. Coby Parkinson, TE, Stanford. All-around TE probably a 3rd round pick but maybe a 4th. He's a huge target at 6’7.

5. Jared Pickney, TE, Vandy. More of a receiving TE like Hopkins. Probably a 4th rounder.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

There are definitely guys who will be good tight ends. If we do trade Trent, we could take the top few, if not, in round 3 there are a few guys worth selecting. 

1. Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri could be a late first round pick, but most likely a 2nd round pick.

2. Jacob Breeland, TE, Oregon. Late 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's coming off an injury though. He was Herbert’s top target before his injury.

3. Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue. Receiving/move TE who needs to improve as a blocker. Probably a 3rd round pick.

4. Coby Parkinson, TE, Stanford. All-around TE probably a 3rd round pick but maybe a 4th. He's a huge target at 6’7.

5. Jared Pickney, TE, Vandy. More of a receiving TE like Hopkins. Probably a 4th rounder.

Thing is. None really look like theyll pan out much better than what we have. I like Pickney, hes top 3 as a TE coming out to me. But he looks just like Sprinkle in college running routes, catching and after the catch.

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Look in FCS, as well. When it comes to this position, there are a lot of good ones to be had there also.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah but soon we're going to have to start extending our young core. We should just spend $ to spend $ when guys like Allen & Payne are going to need to be extended soon. It all comes down to cost to me for Cooper. He's not worth Michael Thomas $. I guess if Cooper costs like $15 mil a year It might be something I’d do, but Cooper shouldn't be setting the WR market in March.

Odell got 65 million guranteed for 5 years in his extension. I'd pay Cooper 50 -55 million guranteed to be my #1 WR for 5 years. Go back to when Cooper was healthy and first got to Dallas. Take a look at how Daks numbers improved. I could see Cooper being able to do the samething for Haskins. Also take a look at how that offense got better. Cooper opened up things for other guys. Just imagine Cooper being doubled consistency leaving a even better McLaruin and Sims for the next few years. Cooper lately has been injured and Dak as well. Dak definitely missed Cooper a couple of times against the Eagles. Cooper is a Veteran version of McLaruin. Both are professional on and off the field. Haskins having two capable 1000 yards WR doesn't hurt. 

43 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Thing is. None really look like theyll pan out much better than what we have. I like Pickney, hes top 3 as a TE coming out to me. But he looks just like Sprinkle in college running routes, catching and after the catch.

If they aren't 50/50 like Sprinkle, they're an improvement. I don't think Sprinkle should be a starter.

31 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Odell got 65 million guranteed for 5 years in his extension. I'd pay Cooper 50 -55 million guranteed to be my #1 WR for 5 years. Go back to when Cooper was healthy and first got to Dallas. Take a look at how Daks numbers improved. I could see Cooper being able to do the samething for Haskins. Also take a look at how that offense got better. Cooper opened up things for other guys. Just imagine Cooper being doubled consistency leaving a even better McLaruin and Sims for the next few years. Cooper lately has been injured and Dak as well. Dak definitely missed Cooper a couple of times against the Eagles. Cooper is a Veteran version of McLaruin. Both are professional on and off the field. Haskins having two capable 1000 yards WR doesn't hurt. 

$65 million guaranteed is a hell of a lot of $. O’Dell’s contract is QB money. 5 years, $90 million, $65 million guaranteed, $20 million signing bonus, $41 million guaranteed at signing and an average salary of $18 million.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29c5b2563e0cadad7412

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Agree, I think it’s a really down year for TEs in the draft from what I’ve seen thus far. That’s a big reason why I’d want to spring for a TE in free agency instead of a WR — I think there’s probably 15+ legit starters at WR in this draft, but I don’t feel good about any of the TEs. Especially outside of the first couple rounds. 

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

If they aren't 50/50 like Sprinkle, they're an improvement. I don't think Sprinkle should be a starter.

Sprinkle is a decent player. But Haskins has been getting rid of the ball in 2.3 seconds on avg they stated the past 2 weeks during games. Like I said. No guy 6'5 265lbs is going to take off from the line and get any separation from guys a lot smaller and quicker. For Sprinkle, or any guy in this draft. Nobody is taking off from the line and getting open in that time. So TE remains a secondary option to the original play call. Cant really design plays and say, "we need to get one to the TE, hold the ball longer." When its a great thing that Haskins is processing plays so quickly. Cant make him wait. So for us currently, a TEs job is to block, help in the run game, and run out, try to become an open option after Plan A didnt work. And all these TEs in the draft are 6'5 and around the 250 mark. Unless theyre a special talent like Gronk, theyre not blasting off the line against 4.5 speed Safetys and getting open inside that 3 second window that seems to be our go-to for playcalling currently.

40 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

$65 million guaranteed is a hell of a lot of $. O’Dell’s contract is QB money. 5 years, $90 million, $65 million guaranteed, $20 million signing bonus, $41 million guaranteed at signing and an average salary of $18 million.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29c5b2563e0cadad7412

5 years for a possible 10-11 million a year I see no problem with that.