Power Rankings and MVP Race Thread

RandyMossIsBoss

8 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

When you let Alex Smith look like Peyton Manning and a rookie QB behind one of the worst offensive lines in football puts up 33 points I feel it's pretty safe to say the defense is as bad as the stats make it look.

They actually let up 26 points. 2 touchdowns, 4 kicks.

13 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Actually a TD/game separates the 3rd ranked team and the 26th. Just like it does every season...

A TD/game is huge. Last year the 3rd and 29th ranked defenses were separated by a TD/game.

I have no idea what your point is.

That the #1 ranked PPG defense from last season didn't miraculously become the worst defense in the league.

It's been 3 games in, with the Pats missing their best and most important defensive player, I'm saying it's too soon to say they are the worst or even close to it.

Green Bay has faced two of the worst offenses in the league in their first 3 games. Give it time.

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

yep, it was pretty obvious heading into the year their defense wasn't very good.  Not sure I would have guessed league-worst, but they aren't good. 

Why was it obvious? We kept the major playmakers on defense, and added a better player in the secondary. It's surprising me how bad we look. (Minus the fact that Hightower has been out, and it's early).

32 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

That the #1 ranked PPG defense from last season didn't miraculously become the worst defense in the league.

It's been 3 games in, with the Pats missing their best and most important defensive player, I'm saying it's too soon to say they are the worst or even close to it.

Green Bay has faced two of the worst offenses in the league in their first 3 games. Give it time.

This has nothing to do with your comment I previously quoted about only a TD separating the 3rd and 26th ranked defenses.

It certainly appears as though the Patriots defense isn't anywhere nearly as good as last year. They are worst in league by far through 3 weeks. You can wait if you want to, but there is enough indication so far that NE defense isn't very good.

I think PatsF is right, in that our defense usually starts slow and grows into an accomplished unit. It's happened at least 6 times in the past 10 years that I can think of. Last season was a perfect example. It will improve. But if you're ranking RIGHT NOW (which we are), it is a pretty bad unit. Comparatively. There are things like miscommunications, losing our best player and freak plays (Watson) that make up some of the stats against us though. 

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

This has nothing to do with your comment I previously quoted about only a TD separating the 3rd and 26th ranked defenses.

It certainly appears as though the Patriots defense isn't anywhere nearly as good as last year. They are worst in league by far through 3 weeks. You can wait if you want to, but there is enough indication so far that NE defense isn't very good.

The averages are much more affected when the sample sizes are so small. 

Taking the average of 3 games doesn't give you as accurate a picture as taking the average of 8, 10, 16 games.

You've got teams like the Rams (last place in Offensive PPG last year) as 3rd this season, and Jacksonville  (24th last season) as 5th this season. With Green Bay (4th last season) as 12th right now.

Like I said, it's too early to rely on those types of stats. The sample size is too small.

Going by your line of thinking right now...

- Alex Smith, Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Derek Carr, Matthew Stafford, Tyrod Tailor, and Blake Bortles are all better than Aaron Rodgers is right now.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why was it obvious? We kept the major playmakers on defense, and added a better player in the secondary. It's surprising me how bad we look. (Minus the fact that Hightower has been out, and it's early).

Yea Im curious how the #1 PPG Defense from last season who didn't lose any major pieces being bad was obvious before a game was even played.

17 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Smith has yet to ever win a playoff game, so he will have to carry KC a lot further before I will rank KC over teams that are solid playoff winners. If he beats Oakland and Denver, then I will put KC on top. Until then, 1 great win will not get you there on my board.

Smith has won 2 playoff games in his career, actually. And he has won 12 straight AFC West games, including 3 straight against Denver and 5 straight against Oakland. So I really don't understand your justifications here.

It isn't like KC was a crap team last year, and now looks good. We've been a pretty consistent 11 win team. We were top 10 in most power rankings coming into the season. I don't see why you think they need to prove things that they've already done again before giving them proper credit.

5 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

The averages are much more affected when the sample sizes are so small. 

Taking the average of 3 games doesn't give you as accurate a picture as taking the average of 8, 10, 16 games.

You've got teams like the Rams (last place in Offensive PPG last year) as 3rd this season, and Jacksonville  (24th last season) as 5th this season. With Green Bay (4th last season) as 12th right now.

Like I said, it's too early to rely on those types of stats. The sample size is too small.

Going by your line of thinking right now...

- Alex Smith, Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Derek Carr, Matthew Stafford, Tyrod Tailor, and Blake Bortles are all better than Aaron Rodgers is right now.

I don't know why you are comparing those ranking to last year, last year means nothing. The Rams and Jags are likely overperforming, but there appears to be a good chance they are better than last year. We are 20% of the way into the season already. Trends are beginning to show themselves. Whether you are ready or not.

4 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Yea Im curious how the #1 PPG Defense from last season who didn't lose any major pieces being bad was obvious before a game was even played.

It was obvious at the start of the season looking at the NE defense and questioning where the pressure on the QB was going to come from. NE lost 3 of their top 4 sack producers from last year, and NE is 26th in sack % so far this year. LIS, there were some clear signs the defense might not be very good.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

It was obvious at the start of the season looking at the NE defense and questioning where the pressure on the QB was going to come from. NE lost 3 of their top 4 sack producers from last year, and NE is 26th in sack % so far this year. LIS, there were some clear signs the defense might not be very good.

New England has a better sack percentage and sacks per game this season then they did last season at this time.

3 games into 2016 - 1.7 Sacks/game, 3.91 sack %.

3 games into 2017 - 2.0 Sacks/game,  5.04 sack %.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I don't know why you are comparing those ranking to last year, last year means nothing. The Rams and Jags are likely overperforming, but there appears to be a good chance they are better than last year. We are 20% of the way into the season already. Trends are beginning to show themselves. Whether you are ready or not.

So the Rams and Jags are likely outperforming but the Patriots are definitely what their ranking says they are?

All I've been saying is it's early to make a "worst in the league" statement abojt a defense that hasn't changed much and was ranked #1 just last season in PPG.

I know you're pumped about GBs defense, that's awesome, but they have also faced two horrible offenses, and didn't so anything special against the one good offense they faced.

They could definitely be a decent group, I just think, like the Patriots, they don't accurately represent their ranking, especially being so early in the season. 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I didn't say they are the worst defense. But currently they are performing like such. My only point this entire time that you can't seem to get over is that GBs defense is better than NEs.

Moving on now.

I conceded that point several posts earlier. 

All good, maybe we can finally get a Rodgers vs Brady SB.

Archived