Power Rankings and MVP Race Thread

RandyMossIsBoss

I personally don't like to rank teams until each of them have played 4 games(25%). Defense DVOA rank itself has a 15.3  +/-  average change difference from week 3 to season rank in the last 7 years alone. 3 games just isn't enough, IMO.

That said, the Patriots ranked 24th at this time last season and finished 16th, and of course they still won the SB.

Playoff Result
YEAR
TEAM
DEF DVOA RK DEF DVOA
Change
Thru 3 weeks Season RK
Divison 2010 NE 29 21 8
Super Bowl Loss 2011 NE 30 30 0
Conference 2012 NE 19 15 4
Conference 2013 NE 4 20 -16
Super Bowl Win 2014 NE 1 12 -11
Conference 2015 NE 15 12 3
Super Bowl Win 2016 NE 24 16 8

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I personally don't like to rank teams until each of them have played 4 games(25%). Defense DVOA rank itself has a 15.3  +/-  average change difference from week 3 to season rank in the last 7 years alone. 3 games just isn't enough, IMO.

That said, the Patriots ranked 24th at this time last season and finished 16th, and of course they still won the SB.

Playoff Result
YEAR
TEAM
DEF DVOA RK DEF DVOA
Change
Thru 3 weeks Season RK
Divison 2010 NE 29 21 8
Super Bowl Loss 2011 NE 30 30 0
Conference 2012 NE 19 15 4
Conference 2013 NE 4 20 -16
Super Bowl Win 2014 NE 1 12 -11
Conference 2015 NE 15 12 3
Super Bowl Win 2016 NE 24 16 8

well, DVOA doesn't start adjusting for opponent until week 4 either so a jump is expected.

it's just part of a picture

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

well, DVOA doesn't start adjusting for opponent until week 4 either so a jump is expected.

it's just part of a picture

And for good reason. The picture isn't clear enough. Hence why ranking teams this early is pointless. Especially when you have two teams from each conference that are going to be behind a game until late in the season. 

edit: But there are some things that can be said about week 3 games though, depending on how a person wants to look at it. I'll get more into that tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, jontat83 said:

At what point does Rodgers enter in the MVP discussion? This Packers team is so banged up especially on the o-line and they have no running game. He's running for his life and making plays.

Rodgers has been playing well but has also had a couple of picks until Thursday night, which is way out of character for him.  I think it is way to early to begin MVP discussions at this point in the season.

On 9/28/2017 at 7:50 PM, incognito_man said:

a lack of pass rush (sack%) was not shown as sole evidence of a 'bad' defense, it is simply a symptom of. Should we choose other measures?

DVOA: 32nd (by FAR)

DVOA vs pass: 31st

Off pts against: 32nd (by FAR)

Passer Rating against: 30th

Opp yds per game: 32nd (by FAR)

Opp 1st downs per game: 30th

etc.

Yea, I'll admit it now.

This defense is legitimately awful right now .

Sorry Pats fans, but I'm not gonna lie, feels good to not have the worst defense in the league again.  Although it's yet to be seen if that will change by the end of the year.  Our defense looked historically bad against Bradford and Brady, but above average against the wildcard Cam Newton and feeble Jay Cutler.

46 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Sorry Pats fans, but I'm not gonna lie, feels good to not have the worst defense in the league again.  Although it's yet to be seen if that will change by the end of the year.  Our defense looked historically bad against Bradford and Brady, but above average against the wildcard Cam Newton and feeble Jay Cutler.

Yea I'm hoping the D can eventually work towards mediocre.

Archived