5 ups/downs on the 2019 steelers season

August4th

On 2019-12-30 at 11:13 PM, CKSteeler said:

Marty Schottenheimer was great if you were trying to rebuild your team and become relevant again. Not so much if you were trying to actually win a championship.

I used to think this but I think Marty gets a bad rep. He got robbed by the broncos in the 80's and ol' Marty ball would have matched up better vs the NFC back then, not sure how the end results would have been but it would have been a better game considering the broncos got killed and were no contest.  Then the fg kicker cost him a playoff game in SD , then later Rivers tore his ACL.  

Some of you want to criticize tomlin, but why not give him at least a pass, and go ahead and fire away at the OC . Easily the biggest problem this team had in 2019 was the OC, just terrible. For me it's so bad with the OC that I' not sure how much interest I can maintain as long as he is here. 

7 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

The grass is not always greener and in the case of NFL coaching, it’s damn near impossible to improve from where we are now coaching wise. 

Head coaching wise I agree (which I assume is to what you were referring). However, OC and STs  could be improved and I don't think it would be that hard. 

• Like 2

On 1/1/2020 at 6:17 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

This is a fair assessment.

However, while we only beat one team with a winning record, we had a chance to win every game except the first game (ironically, the only game with a healthy Ben).   We played the Seahawks and 49ers really hard when, from a talent perspective, we shouldve probably been crushed.   At the end of the year, our lack of talent on offense just caught up to us.

This team couldve very easily just folded and finished 4-12, and that wouldve been LESS surprising that what actually happened.

Tomlin has plenty of flaws.   No one can deny that.     The problem is, fans have impossible standards because too many want to compare their coach to Belichick.     Top coaches like Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, Sean Peyton, John Harbarugh, Mike Zimmer, etc....have all shown major flaws in their coaching and team management at times.     

I dont have problem with people FAIRLY criticizing Tomlin or wanting a change, but its always comical seeing the usual suspects regurgitate the same garbage about how he is responsible for everything that goes wrong but somehow deserves zero credit for the strengths of the team...and act like it would be so easy to find a better coach.    Again, maybe the time for change is coming, but the chances of us doing worse are much better than our chances of doing better.   Not because Tomlin is a special coach, but because every single coach has their issues, and many have far more than Tomlin.   

for all their flaws, the above named coaches manage to regularly win playoff games (when they have good rosters)  or have something to show for their seasons.

Tomlin teams basically have nothing to show for all his W's 

Edited by SlevinKelevra

8 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

for all their flaws, the above named coaches manage to regularly win playoff games (when they have good rosters)  or have something to show for their seasons.

Tomlin teams basically have nothing to show for all his W's 

Andy Reid is 12-14 in the playoffs, 0 Super Bowls. Carrol 10-8, 1 SB. Sean Payton 8-6, 1 SB.  

Tomlin is 8-7 with 1 SB. If your argument is that those guys are better than Tomlin because of playoff record your gonna need a better argument. 

• Like 2

Tomlin: 8-7, 1 one super bowl, two appearances 

Peyton: 8-6 one super bowl, one appearance 

Reid: 10-9 one super bowl, one appearance 

Carroll: 10-8 one super bowl, two appearances

Harbaugh: 10-6 one super bowl, one appearance 

Zimmer: 1-2 

Try again. 

The only playoff loss I put on Tomlin is when we were stacked, rested our starters week 17, had a bye week and came out flat at home against the Jags. 

• Like 2

people here can throw numbers around all they want, sure tomlin has a good record. This season he got almost the most out of his team, but the OC really ruined it IMO. Too bad tomlin never got that fixed but it wasn't meant to be thats all, and the team wasn't quite healthy enough anyways to play vs the top teams

I'm looking forward to these playoffs, I hope some new teams advance, underdogs  too. Hoping the Titans and Bills  win and the NFC Vikings and Eagles. If the pats win the SB, it might be time to boycott the nfl though

Tomlin has not been with failure. But he has also been a major catalyst to our success. He acknowledged the possibility of coaching changes. However I feel like that's because Teryl Austin is going to be promoted to DC (my theory) regardless if Butler stays as LB coach or not but I expect Butler to move on.

I would very much like us to replace Danny Smith and add a QB coach. I assume theres a chance the RBs coach changes and I expect us to add an new WR coach.

Ball security and penalties are something Tomlin has got go address but Tomlin isn't our #1 problem imo

it's bad when I forgot about danny big league chew smith. Fichner - the worst ever

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Ball security and penalties are something Tomlin has got go address but Tomlin isn't our #1 problem imo

Could this be the players fault exclusively? I mean, they have played the game since they were teenagers or younger, the goal is to not fumble isn't it? Good point though, because the fumbles were adding up a bit more than usual, but I see that as careless players more than coaches fault.  Maybe the reps aren't there in practice like they could be, unknown how that problem developed during 2019 season, but hope it was done year wonder

22 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Andy Reid is 12-14 in the playoffs, 0 Super Bowls. Carrol 10-8, 1 SB. Sean Payton 8-6, 1 SB.  

Tomlin is 8-7 with 1 SB. If your argument is that those guys are better than Tomlin because of playoff record your gonna need a better argument. 

I measure playoff(s) in more than just win %.

Of course, that's asking a lot. But even using win %, it's not like Tomlin crushes that competition (in fact, he's behind several of them).

Here's what I look at:

playoff 1&dones

playoff appearances (or wins) per regular season wins

playoff losses to Tim Tebow, Blake Bortles, etc

playoff wins while having a HoF QB

playoff losses as  favorite/on HomeField

Optimistic:

Watt - stud
Fitzpatrick - stud
Defense as a whole came around big time after the trade
DL is great and Tuitt will be back
Finally have some speed at LB

Pessimistic:

Coaches will still be there
OL is seriously regressing
QB is a big problem
Where was Vance?  Need more out of TE.
Need more depth at RB
(this all ties together to = the offense sucks)

On the fence:

Where were all the WRs?  They showed flashes but disappeared too much.  Need depth, but do we have something in the 3 young guys?  Washington even showed something.  

RB depth is a problem.  

On 12/30/2019 at 1:42 AM, bigben07MVP said:

TLDR: There’s not many coaches in the world that could pull off a .500 record with what we went through this season. Let’s be grateful we have him. He’s not perfect, but what coach besides BB is?

our schedule was brutally easy and got help in other games to win.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Look how close we were in the game against legit opponents. We played the 9ers, Seahawks, and Ravens really tight. Those are the three off my head.

Why bother?  Some people are engrained with their opinion and not even logic will sway them.  You, like most, can see both sides (the flaws and the positives) and have an educated opinion.  Tomlin is far from perfect but he's closer to the top then he is to the middle. There aren't 16 coaches better then him.  It's that simple.  Sure, there will someday be an eligible Coach out there that would be an improvement.  That day isn't today.  You don't make a change just to make a change.  

• Like 3

On 1/5/2020 at 9:58 PM, Chieferific said:

Why bother?  Some people are engrained with their opinion and not even logic will sway them.  You, like most, can see both sides (the flaws and the positives) and have an educated opinion.  Tomlin is far from perfect but he's closer to the top then he is to the middle. There aren't 16 coaches better then him.  It's that simple.  Sure, there will someday be an eligible Coach out there that would be an improvement.  That day isn't today.  You don't make a change just to make a change.  

There are 160 coaches better, not just 16.  He's pathetic.