Scott Turner named new OC

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Again, I love Haskins - biggest fan on this board of him - but, he had that playbook since May. He should have had his head in that every day, asking a million questions of his coaches and known it front to back. Maybe he did, but I’m certainly not going to make an excuse for him not playing well the first few games he started and when he relieved Keenum vs the Giants and Vikings, he should have gotten himself more prepared. 

He did start to play better the last month and particularly vs the Eagles and Giants but their secondaries were two of the worst in the league bc of all their injuries.

I'm NOT saying he didn't know the playbook. I'm saying him not practicing with the 1st unit and Gruden really not showing interests in his development his rookie year didn't help Haskins. As many where concerned about and stress It's nothing like Live Action. In Each Live Action Game Haskins and O'Connell chemistry progressed. Especially when O'Connell got full playcalling control. I don't care who the defense was, Haskins and O'Connell were both rookies growing together and they impressed while doing it. That's why it's more than likely O'Connell will get another position somewhere else. We see Gruden is still on the bench. 

Edited by Skins212689

15 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I'm NOT saying he didn't know the playbook. I'm saying him not practicing with the 1st unit and Gruden really not showing interests in his development his rookie year didn't help Haskins. As many where concerned about and stress It's nothing like Live Action. In Each Live Action Game Haskins and O'Connell chemistry progressed. Especially when O'Connell got full playcalling control. I don't care who the defense was, Haskins and O'Connell were both rookies growing together and they impressed while doing it. That's why it's more than likely O'Connell will get another position somewhere else. We see Gruden is still on the bench. 

And recent former players and players who currently play on the team when asked said since they’ve been in the NFL that the starter gets the reps in practice bc they are getting him ready for the game.

Look, I wanted Haskins to start week 1, even if he wasn’t 100% comfortable w/ the playbook bc as you said the best way for him to learn or anyone is by doing it, or trying to or as you said “live action.” You’re right and if Jay has started Haskins in week 1, my opinion is that he’d still be the HC and we’d still have Brice Allen too bc Dan wanted to see Haskins out there. If we had gone 0-5 with Haskins starting, I think that’s something Dan would’ve lived with, but when Jay kept trotting our Case and Colt to lose games while Haskins got no run, Dan was fed up and had Brucey baby fire Jay. 

And of course the competition matters. You’d expect a starting QB to play better vs rookie corners and street free agents then you’d expect him to play vs some of the best pass defense in the NFL who also have great pass rushers like Minny, Green Bay and Buffalo.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

And recent former players and players who currently play on the team when asked said since they’ve been in the NFL that the starter gets the reps in practice bc they are getting him ready for the game.

Look, I wanted Haskins to start week 1, even if he wasn’t 100% comfortable w/ the playbook bc as you said the best way for him to learn or anyone is by doing it, or trying to or as you said “live action.” You’re right and if Jay has started Haskins in week 1, my opinion is that he’d still be the HC and we’d still have Brice Allen too bc Dan wanted to see Haskins out there.

Turtle I don't agree O'Connell should've been let go. I get Turner is the OC, all I'm saying is he will have to prove himself to me. I'm not jumping up and down with this hire as I was to a degree with Rivera being named the HC, them switching to a 4-3, and Del Rio being the new DC. Again O'Connell proved himself to me. Now Turner will have to do the samething. 

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Look, I wanted Haskins to start week 1, even if he wasn’t 100% comfortable w/ the playbook bc as you said the best way for him to learn or anyone is by doing it, or trying to or as you said “live action.” You’re right and if Jay has started Haskins in week 1, my opinion is that he’d still be the HC and we’d still have Brice Allen too bc Dan wanted to see Haskins out there.

To even want Jay and Bruce back says alot about you. Like Really What???? 

3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Turtle I don't agree O'Connell should've been let go. I get Turner is the OC, all I'm saying is he will have to prove himself to me. I'm not jumping up and down with this hire as I was to a degree with Rivera being named the HC, them switching to a 4-3, and Del Rio being the new DC. Again O'Connell proved himself to me. Now Turner will have to do the samething. 

I agree with that too but what's done is done.

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

He doesn't.  Which is why I'm not sure where this PA talk is coming from...

It was a question I had. How often did Turner run playaction on those 2nd/3rd and shorts with a duel threat like McCaffery? Or was he consistently ONLY running in those situations?

@HTTRDynasty The way I see Turner’s run/pass breakdown is that he gave the ball to McCaffery a whole heck of a lot, even if it was vs 8 man fronts bc he was the Panthers’ only consistent offensive weapon.

I expect the same with him as our coach here. Two of our best offensive weapons are AD and Guice & if we -sign CT, 3 of our best offensive weapons will be the running backs. As an offensive play caller you want to get the ball in your best playmakers hands. So, I expect a lot of touches for our RBs. 

I also expect a lot of touches for Terry, Steven Sims and hopefully whoever our upgrade is at TE bc we know Sprinkle had a lot of targets but didn't make a lot of catches and we know the Turner’s love to use the TE in their offense, so if it's Hooper, Henry, Ebron Or whomever, I expect our TE to have 60 plus catches and at least a handful of  TDs.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Look, I wanted Haskins to start week 1, even if he wasn’t 100% comfortable w/ the playbook bc as you said the best way for him to learn or anyone is by doing it, or trying to or as you said “live action.” You’re right and if Jay has started Haskins in week 1, my opinion is that he’d still be the HC and we’d still have Brice Allen too bc Dan wanted to see Haskins out there. If we had gone 0-5 with Haskins starting, I think that’s something Dan would’ve lived with, but when Jay kept trotting our Case and Colt to lose games while Haskins got no run, Dan was fed up and had Brucey baby fire Jay. 

And of course the competition matters. You’d expect a starting QB to play better vs rookie corners and street free agents then you’d expect him to play vs some of the best pass defense in the NFL who also have great pass rushers like Minny, Green Bay and Buffalo.

When your put in a situation like Haskins was, what are you to do? Your coach not looking to get you prepared to play your Rookie season. I can't blame him for starting off slow. I can for sure say that Haskins looked like a whole new QB from when he came in as Reliver vs the Giants to ending the season as a Starter. It's not his fault he didn't have a Coach who was willing to use his strengths in the gameplan until O'Connell was that guy late in the year against the Eagles and Giants. 

Edited by Skins212689