Scott Turner named new OC

7 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I am so sick of running into 8 man fronts. Sometimes you can break one for a long gain but more often it's a yard here . 2 there . Like beating your head against a brick wall..

Yes. But you keep running and the defense wears down. Like it did in the last 4 or 5 games when KOC was calling plays. You gas that opposing defense and now your passing game works better because playaction gets bit hard by the D.

Also, if you execute (big IF), 8 man fronts are not a problem. Know why?

The Defense is going to stack their DL, LB and a S in the box. That leaves your offense with the following.

5 OL

1QB

1RB

and then a mixture of either 2TE or 1 TE and 3 WR, or substitute a FB in there somewhere (okay you get the idea).

Know what you can do on every run play? Have the QB boot after handoff (the QB has to coach to REALLY sell the handoff). And you need to have the occasional play where the QB does not hand off and keeps it on the boot.

Now...why do i say this? Because we've already matched up numerically.

5OL + 2TE (or TE + FB) is 7 men on our side.

The defense has 8. 

Yes, Thai. But 8 is more than 7.

Okay...good. You're paying attention. But this is why you have the QB boot. Because if you coach him to put the ball in and pull it out to boot (to REALLY sell it), that means the LB or the S is going to have to account for the QB on each running play. Which takes them OUT of the box. 

Then it's 7 on 7 and if your guys execute, the RB should be running free. Which is why you sometimes see big gains on the ground against an 8 man front.

Simple. And not many teams do this (or do it effectively enough).

• Like 2

I posted during the season that some Coryell elements would be good for Haskins as he learns the NFL.  His strength is throwing the ball downfield, and the Redskins can still have a power running attack next year.  However, the goal would be to transition over to something different as Haskins develops.  The Coryell as an offensive system is not even a dying breed, it's a dinosaur.  But that doesn't mean that you can't include concepts with it.  But the modern NFL offense has moved far away from many of those, and ultimately Haskins needs to get familiar and practiced with more nuanced schemes and plays.  

What is important is Scott Turner's experience is outside of last year, because he likely run the offense that was already installed, just like Callahan and O'Connell did when they took over.  Sadly, at first glance, it's mostly coaching under his father, and also a year in Michigan under Harbaugh and Tim Drevno, and I can't say they are on the cutting end of offensive innovation.  The only other years without his dad or Michigan was spent in Carolina under Mike Shula- another meh from me- and at Pitt under Dave Wannstedt.  

I'm really at a loss for this hire.  

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I posted during the season that some Coryell elements would be good for Haskins as he learns the NFL.  His strength is throwing the ball downfield, and the Redskins can still have a power running attack next year.  However, the goal would be to transition over to something different as Haskins develops.  The Coryell as an offensive system is not even a dying breed, it's a dinosaur.  But that doesn't mean that you can't include concepts with it.  But the modern NFL offense has moved far away from many of those, and ultimately Haskins needs to get familiar and practiced with more nuanced schemes and plays.  

What is important is Scott Turner's experience is outside of last year, because he likely run the offense that was already installed, just like Callahan and O'Connell did when they took over.  Sadly, at first glance, it's mostly coaching under his father, and also a year in Michigan under Harbaugh and Tim Drevno, and I can't say they are on the cutting end of offensive innovation.  The only other years without his dad or Michigan was spent in Carolina under Mike Shula- another meh from me- and at Pitt under Dave Wannstedt.  

I'm really at a loss for this hire.  

I like what Carolina did with their offense vs us and how they got creative using McCaffrey and Samuel.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes. But you keep running and the defense wears down. Like it did in the last 4 or 5 games when KOC was calling plays. You gas that opposing defense and now your passing game works better because playaction gets bit hard by the D.

Also, if you execute (big IF), 8 man fronts are not a problem. Know why?

The Defense is going to stack their DL, LB and a S in the box. That leaves your offense with the following.

5 OL

1QB

1RB

and then a mixture of either 2TE or 1 TE and 3 WR, or substitute a FB in there somewhere (okay you get the idea).

Know what you can do on every run play? Have the QB boot after handoff (the QB has to coach to REALLY sell the handoff). And you need to have the occasional play where the QB does not hand off and keeps it on the boot.

Now...why do i say this? Because we've already matched up numerically.

5OL + 2TE (or TE + FB) is 7 men on our side.

The defense has 8. 

Yes, Thai. But 8 is more than 7.

Okay...good. You're paying attention. But this is why you have the QB boot. Because if you coach him to put the ball in and pull it out to boot (to REALLY sell it), that means the LB or the S is going to have to account for the QB on each running play. Which takes them OUT of the box. 

Then it's 7 on 7 and if your guys execute, the RB should be running free. Which is why you sometimes see big gains on the ground against an 8 man front.

Simple. And not many teams do this (or do it effectively enough).

Peyton Manning did a ton of this. Mostly raising both hands to his ear after a handoff like he was still holding the ball. It’s all in the details fellas. Forcing the defense to put their eyes ANYWHERE other than where the ball is, for even the smallest amount of time, is an advantage gained just by using simple good habits. 
I’ll never forget when I was a kid John Madden used to go on and on about how Gary Clark used to put his mouthpiece in during the huddle for a pass play and left it out for a run. Even as a kid it used to make me nuts like why wouldn’t Gibbs correct that? Yea guys, there was a time stuff like that was the biggest of this teams problems. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

If Wentz can "Ever" stay healthy I wouldn't want O'Connell being the one coaching him. 

Eh, I wouldn't mind.  I'm more worried about their 10 draft picks this year.

Did you see the play-action stuff I posted yesterday?  I know you were trying to find that.

34 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

If Wentz can "Ever" stay healthy I wouldn't want O'Connell being the one coaching him. 

Why? 

He had at most three games calling the offense where he ran Jay Gruden’s playbook that everyone’s hated since 2014.

Just bc Haskins made improvements he should’ve made as he played more & Steve Sims showed what he could do doesn’t mean KOC is the next KyleS, SeanM or Matt. 

Ppl love drama, love to overreact!

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Why? 

He had at most three games calling the offense where he ran Jay Gruden’s playbook that everyone’s hated since 2014.

Just bc Haskins made improvements he should’ve made as he played more & Steve Sims showed what he could do doesn’t mean KOC is the next KyleS, SeanM or Matt. 

Ppl love drama, love to overreact!

Do you not remember what Wentz was before his injury? Go check out that guy. Still under Doug Peterson with the addition of a talented guy like O'Connell, Wentz could once again be that player that looked like a MVP. 

54 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Do you not remember what Wentz was before his injury? Go check out that guy. Still under Doug Peterson with the addition of a talented guy like O'Connell, Wentz could once again be that player that looked like a MVP. 

Yeah, Wentz is good. Hasn't proven to be elite yet.

Not sure O’Connell makes a difference really. Frank Reich & Pederson have already developed him. What plays are called really doesn’t matter that much, fans overate the playcalling, it’s all about the players executing the plays. When they do, the plays can produced big plays when they don’t, they can do nothing or be turnovers.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Not sure O’Connell makes a difference really. Frank Reich & Pederson have already developed him. What plays are called really doesn’t matter that much, fans overate the playcalling, it’s all about the players executing the plays. When they do, the plays can produced big plays when they don’t, they can do nothing or be turnovers.

Player's have to execute the correct called play. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It's execution sure, but you also have to call the correct plays, and correctly gameplan for the opposing team.  As you well know, a team could have a 500 page playbook but they are prepared to run only a fraction of those play calls each game, and that gameplan is built off what the other team likes to do and their strengths and weaknesses.  The offensive coordinator has to design the gameplan to correctly target those.  They also design the offense around the talent for the year, and should put them in the best position to succeed.  I italicized should because we all know some coaches don't do that and expect the players to fit their system.  

• Like 1