Offseason Thread

Elky

5 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

1. I have not watched every play of anybody, including Brady, as a Patriots fan.

2. I have not watched only good or only bad plays to formulate an opinion on Derek Carr.

3. Marcus Mariota is not a bottom 3 QB in the NFL. I think he is okay, but I knew he and Jameis Winston would not live up to their college hype or draft pedigree.

4. Until this season, Carr has had nothing but turnover at the OC position in Oakland.

5. I'm well aware of the schism in Raiders Nation over Carr. He is pretty much a love/hate guy there.

6. Never thrown a tight window pass, huh? This is an interesting claim and criticism at the same time. You brought up my credibility...

7. Derek Carr is athletic and mobile. Kind of obvious.

Out of the Top 32 QBs, yes, yes he is. 100% . Mariota is dumb as rocks, does not make progressions, and has absolutely terrible accuracy. I predicted Titans would bench Mariota for Tannehil Mid Season and they’d claw their way back into the playoffs as a 9-7 Wildcard. Only ET80 and I made this exact prediction before the season. 

Edited by BayRaider

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Out of the Top 32 QBs, yes, yes he is. 100% . Mariota is dumb as rocks, does not make progressions, and has absolutely terrible accuracy. I predicted Titans would bench Mariota for Tannehil Mid Season and they’d claw their way back into the playoffs as a 9-7 Wildcard. Only ET80 and I made this exact prediction before the season. 

I think more than just you two considered the possibility of Tannehill starting at some point.

Also, again, Derek Carr.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/derek-carr?id=2543499

Literally the first word under "STRENGTHS" is "Athletic".:P

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

I think more than just you two considered the possibility of Tannehill starting at some point.

Also, again, Derek Carr.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/derek-carr?id=2543499

Literally the first word under "STRENGTHS" is "Athletic".:P

If we are getting into draft scouting reports, Carrs Pocket Presence and Play under Pressure is some of the worst ever and the main reason he went in the 2nd Round. Which have carried over into the NFL. Only a Top 2 OL will mask it. We had the #1 Pass Protection in 2016. It was actually a historic pass protection. Not one blindside sack until his injury. Never been done ever. 

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

If we are getting into draft scouting reports, Carrs Pocket Presence and Play under Pressure is some of the worst ever and the main reason he went in the 2nd Round. Which have carried over into the NFL. Only a Top 2 OL will mask it. We had the #1 Pass Protection in 2016. It was actually a historic pass protection. Not one blindside sack until his injury. Never been done ever. 

We are currently discussing a draft profile as it relates to Carr's mobility. As I said, Carr is one of the most athletic and mobile starting quarterbacks in the NFL, and I thought that was obvious.

As far as the Raiders pass blocking, that is usually a combination of the scheme and the quarterbacks decision making. There is no doubt that Carr and the Raiders offensive line have been elite in generating pass blocking stats over the past few seasons when healthy.

5 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

We are currently discussing a draft profile as it relates to Carr's mobility. As I said, Carr is one of the most athletic and mobile starting quarterbacks in the NFL, and I thought that was obvious.

As far as the Raiders pass blocking, that is usually a combination of the scheme and the quarterbacks decision making. There is no doubt that Carr and the Raiders offensive line have been elite in generating pass blocking stats over the past few seasons when healthy.

Carr has nothing to do with the OL. One thing you gotta give the Raiders credit for is they have built nasty lines since 2014. 2014 we signed Penn, who I always thought was a Top 5-10 OT with conditioning issues. Drafted Pro Bowl caliber guard Gabe Jackson. 2015 we got the best center in football in Rodney Hudson. Dude has a 99 pass block grade every year from PFF, even on Chiefs. We also signed Pro Bowl Guard Kelichi Osemele. 2016 our line was nuts. Penn, Osemele, Hudson, Jackson... RT was meh. It was the best pass protection unit in the league. Cowboys had the best run block protection. 

2018 the line took some hits and it ranked 28th. If Carr was a big factor in the line, I don’t think we would have ranked 28th. Carr gets “happy feet” as soon as he sees a defender. 

2019 we built it back up with a Top OL again. Trent Brown was a Pro Bowler, Richie Incognito Pro Bowl Alternate (his concern was always off the field issues), and Kolton progressed his second year after being the worst graded LT in the NFL in year one. 

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carr has nothing to do with the OL. One thing you gotta give the Raiders credit for is they have built nasty lines since 2014. 2014 we signed Penn, who I always thought was a Top 5-10 OT with conditioning issues. Drafted Pro Bowl caliber guard Gabe Jackson. 2015 we got the best center in football in Rodney Hudson. Dude has a 99 pass block grade every year from PFF, even on Chiefs. We also signed Pro Bowl Guard Kelichi Osemele. 2016 our line was nuts. Penn, Osemele, Hudson, Jackson... RT was meh. It was the best pass protection unit in the league. Cowboys had the best run block protection. 

2018 the line took some hits and it ranked 28th. If Carr was a big factor in the line, I don’t think we would have ranked 28th. Carr gets “happy feet” as soon as he sees a defender. 

2019 we built it back up with a Top OL again. Trent Brown was a Pro Bowler, Richie Incognito Pro Bowl Alternate (his concern was always off the field issues), and Kolton progressed his second year after being the worst graded LT in the NFL in year one. 

How we got here from me essentially agreeing with you and you taking exception to it is humorous. I digress.

I give credit where it is due, and absolutely I agree the Raiders line is among the best in the NFL. There are many factors that contribute to statistics however which is the reason why I included Carr in with the offensive line. 

17 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Whose who?

Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
QB 2 3 5 60 26 5.2 -3.8 0 1 63.7
QB 4 12 15 80 103 6.9 6.9 0 0 137.7
QB 12 200 323 61.9 2427 7.5 7 14 10 133.1
QB 11 180 295 61 2217 7.5 7.7 16 6 138

QB 10 75 109 68.8 1265 11.6 13 12 2 199
QB 14 246 370 66.5 3158 8.5 8.8 18 6 151
QB 13 224 369 60.7 2794 7.6 7.9 18 5 137.7

Fair enough.

I'm of the belief that a QBs stats are also dependent upon team, scheme, etc as well. So I will admit that stats aren't everything. Perhaps I should watch some highlights or him playing before passing judgement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

'm of the belief that a QBs stats are also dependent upon team, scheme, etc as well. So I will admit that stats aren't everything.

This is my point. College stats can be indicative of future success, but they should not be the basis of an argument for or against. Evaluation must come from ability first, stats second. 

5 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Such an overreaction to say Carr was terrible this year. Bay, you aren't a Raiders fan, are you? I don't even know how to box score scout, whatever that would be. But I have seen him play and he is not a bad QB. Like you, I think Carr is good enough on the Patriots for the team to make a run to the Super Bowl.

Get back with me when Carr accomplishes something meaningful.

10 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Really? I don't remember Brady being such an afterthought on such a stacked team. I don't even know if Brady in 2001 was as privileged with a great team and asked to do as little as Jimmy G. The Shanahan scheme is unlike anything the Patriots offense has been at any point with Weis, O'Brien, or McDaniels.

Garoppolo threw for almost 4000 yards this year and was one of the best in the league at converting 3rd downs. He also was top-10 in the league in TD passes (t.5th), Yards/Attempt (3rd), 4th quarter comebacks (t.1st), adjusted net yards/attempt (10th), passer rating (8th) and completion % (t. 4th). Any way you slice it, he was among the best statistical performers in the league, and you absolutely cannot chalk all that up to scheme.

Frankly, in a small sample size in the Patriots scheme he looked even better on film than he does in Shanahan's. And bear in mind that those two games he started in 2016 were WITHOUT Gronk or Solder.

Edited by Starless

2 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Raider Nation is extremely passionate. 🤷‍♂️

I love the Raiders fan base. I just don't think they can get out of their own collective way unfortunately when it comes to certain things they're passionate about. Like, the Raiders drafted JaMarcus Russell first overall and it set the franchise back even further, (shocker). Carr is a pretty decent quarterback and now it's all about wanting someone more flashy because the Raiders are Vegas bound. I don't know. Send him to the Patriots and I think they remain a perennial playoff team.