Why do you think all time great offenses fail in the playoffs?

CP3MVP

On 2020-01-12 at 8:19 AM, CP3MVP said:

If you look at the highest scoring teams in nfl history, the offenses falter in January.

Off the top of my head. 83 Skins, 84 Dolphins, 04 Colts, 07 Pats, 10-12 Pats, 11 Saints, 11 Packers, 13 Broncos, 19 Ravens etc. 

why do you think this is?

84 dolphins lost to the 49ers, and I think Lott said that was their best team.  Great defences used to win back then, different era and rules, win the TO battle and you win. 

83 skins lost to Raiders, Matt Millen said he would put that defence up agains anyone, they were dominant. 2 total lock down CB's that ran the routes for the WR's and they shut down the most potent offence ever at the time

04 colts might have been victims (to a degree)  of some spy camsO.oand Peyton in the playoffs not always great

13 broncos, Peyton failing in the playoffs again? LOB was dominant

10 pats met up with 2 top CB's vs jets (see a pattern here?)

The nfl has tried to make the league more offensive but a legit defence can still hold it's own most of the time. It's not the 70's to the 90's but still hope for  legit defences to win.

Also, remember that dome teams never won a SB until the rams 99.  They usually don't play as well on offence out in the winter elements

I'd also add that there is a bit of an availability bias here. We remember great offensive teams far more than great defensive teams in general (ignoring superbowl winners). We remember a lot of the great offensive teams, even if they falter. They tend to win more regular season games as well because by nature great defensive teams are still prone to the luck of close score games, which drives media coverage, and everyone remembering them. We forget most of the 'Bears' teams with great defenses and mediocre offenses who also fell early in the playoffs.

There have been many teams with great defenses and bad/mediocre offenses that fizzled out in the playoffs as well. They're just not as memorable because offense is sexier. In 1986, the defending Super Bowl champion Chicago Bears with the #1 defense and went 14-2 (the offense was closer to average than being bad, at 13th in the nfl in ppg). They got obliterated by the Redskins in their own building and went one and done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hukos said:

There have been many teams with great defenses and bad/mediocre offenses that fizzled out in the playoffs as well. They're just not as memorable because offense is sexier. In 1986, the defending Super Bowl champion Chicago Bears with the #1 defense and went 14-2 (the offense was closer to average than being bad, at 13th in the nfl in ppg). They got obliterated by the Redskins in their own building and went one and done.

Not a bad point. I'm not saying the idea that great offenses are shut down easier isn't completely without merit, but I bet what you're saying here is also contributing to how we perceive it.

Great offenses get remembered even if they don't win the SB. But it seems like those great defenses need the SB victory in order to cement the legacy. '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucs, '08 Steelers, '13 Seahawks, '15 Broncos.