Why do you think all time great offenses fail in the playoffs?

CP3MVP

I think every scenario has different circumstances.

Last night, the Ravens offense came out rusty. Lamar was off, the receivers were off, the line was off. Everything was off. Once the Ravens were down 14-0, the coaches panicked and abandoned their identity and tried to just pass the ball 50 times with Lamar, even when they were down by 8 in the 3rd quarter.

So last night I would chalk it up to both being rusty and the coaches bailing on the identity that made the Ravens an all-time great offense. I mean, the Ravens gave their RB's 9 TOTAL carries, and had Lamar either carry or pass 82 times. That's not a winning formula no matter how good Lamar Jackson is.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think every scenario has different circumstances.

Last night, the Ravens offense came out rusty. Lamar was off, the receivers were off, the line was off. Everything was off. Once the Ravens were down 14-0, the coaches panicked and abandoned their identity and tried to just pass the ball 50 times with Lamar, even when they were down by 8 in the 3rd quarter.

So last night I would chalk it up to both being rusty and the coaches bailing on the identity that made the Ravens an all-time great offense. I mean, the Ravens gave their RB's 9 TOTAL carries, and had Lamar either carry or pass 82 times. That's not a winning formula no matter how good Lamar Jackson is.

I think not having Ingram played into that poor choice as well. They thought they had super man.

• Like 2

A lot of them were soft and one dimensional 

2011 Saints offense didn’t really fail 

Dominant front sevens generally seem to win the matchups in the postseason though. Even when they weren’t that good in the regular season and were only good on paper they seem to take over in the playoffs 

Last night I think the main problem was Jackson not running when there was plenty of space. That’s what got him into college, won him the Heisman, got him drafted, got us the 1 seed, and won him the MVP and at times it looked like he was throwing out of stubbornness. When he can run it should be the 1st option 

And Tennessee played a great game 

Just now, Toddfather said:

I think not having Ingram played into that poor choice as well. They thought they had super man.

Disagree. Ingram received 6/9 RB carries for the team, and in week 17 the Ravens rode Gus Edwards all day long to dismantle Pittsburgh. All week long the Ravens coaches said Gus was ready to roll if he needed to start.

Not having Ingram available or at full strength shouldn't have played any part of abandoning our identity, ESPECIALLY considering Gus Edwards was our starting RB just last year!

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Disagree. Ingram received 6/9 RB carries for the team, and in week 17 the Ravens rode Gus Edwards all day long to dismantle Pittsburgh. All week long the Ravens coaches said Gus was ready to roll if he needed to start.

Not having Ingram available or at full strength shouldn't have played any part of abandoning our identity, ESPECIALLY considering Gus Edwards was our starting RB just last year!

no it should not have, but they clearly didn't go to him. Ingram had a good year, that was a big loss. They put way too much on Jackson.

My hypothesis is that offense can be very momentum-driven, so if there's an extended period of rest, then an offense is prone to misfiring once it has to get going again, especially an elite offense. They say that an offense likes to be on the field, but a defense likes to be on the sideline, so how can an extended period of rest be good for the unit that likes to be on the field?

Also, it doesn't help that many (most?) elite offenses are seldom coupled with a defense that can actually stop an opponent, versus simply slowing them down and having the offense outscore them.

I think every situation is unique. Ravens lost because they tried to come back the way the Chiefs did, they just aren't built like that. Sometimes a great passing team faces a pass rush that neutralizes the passing game and that offense can't do what they want. Sometimes they face a team that outscores them. I don't think there is one answer. There is also the any given Sunday in which the outcome makes no sense and players were just off. There is a reason gambling is a gamble.

26 minutes ago, Bassomatic said:

Also, it doesn't help that many (most?) elite offenses are seldom coupled with a defense that can actually stop an opponent, versus simply slowing them down and having the offense outscore them.

With the salary cap, you either build towards an elite offense or an elite defense. You can't pay them both. What we know is that offense is much "sticker" (good offenses tend to be good offenses year in and year out), but defense is a bit more random from year to year. You could have an elite defense in 2019 and it could be perfectly healthy and 2020 and somehow be bottom 5 (see: Jaguars).

So offense is generally the safer option, because it gives you more year to year consistency. What's interesting is if defense has the higher valuation in a single year period (having a better statistical defense improves your odds of a championship), even if the odds of keeping your defense great are pretty bad.

Great D's usually beat great O's - it's what happened to DEN in 2013, and CAR in 2015.   

In BAL's case, TEN's D wasn't great, but they had the next best thing - Derrick Henry and a run game that shortened the game to 5-6 possessions each.   

When your team is reliant on a great O - TO's are a killer.   The tipped LJax-to-Andrews throw, followed by the 2 4th down failed attempts, created a perfect storm for TEN's ball control O to take over (plus yes, the single bomb). 

You know how in Space Jam, all the pro athletes had their talent stolen away from them and suddenly they couldn't even win pickup games with randoms? 

I'm pretty sure that's what actually happened to the 2011 Packers. 

The unstoppable offense suddenly started dropping every pass thrown their way and fumbling everything else. 

I think it is mostly due to tougher competition.

Passing games aren’t going to break as many chunk plays against top end pass rushes and secondaries.

Sub par passing mobile qbs have had dud games as they aren’t going to break contain against top end fronts like Cam vs Denver, Vick against the bucs, Lamar last week.