Pending free agents, who do you keep?

Kiwibrown

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I agree. His job was very difficult given that he was basically our only LB'er on the field. Mack Wilson is basically a glorified DB at this stage in his career.

I think Mack has some promise as a WLB. He's solid in coverage and has some natural instincts. That said, I think I'm better at shedding blocks and handling stiff arms from running backs at this point in time.

However, he misses quite a few tackles and doesn't shoot gaps.

I also want to know philosophically how many coaches ask/want him to do that based upon our interior DL and lack of consistency at setting the edge.

He's basically a better version of D'Qwell Jackson. He gets a ton of production, but a lot of it is after solid gains from the offense. I rarely see him making a highlight play in the run game. He is awesome in passing lanes though...no doubt about that.

Fair points all around.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think Mack has some promise as a WLB. He's solid in coverage and has some natural instincts. That said, I think I'm better at shedding blocks and handling stiff arms from running backs at this point in time.

I agree. He's worth keeping around, but he's not a dude that improves our run defense...right now, that is.

I also want to know philosophically how many coaches ask/want him to do that based upon our interior DL and lack of consistency at setting the edge.

Correct. He appears to be slow reacting, but that's probably part of the scheme. I don't understand why we do this, but I guess it makes sense when you don't have 3 LB's to scrape and replace each other properly.

Fair points all around.

Correct. He appears to be slow reacting, but that's probably part of the scheme. I don't understand why we do this, but I guess it makes sense when you don't have 3 LB's to scrape and replace each other properly.

Splitting the difference between big nickel with terrible safeties and 4-3 without a capable SAM linebacker last year was doomed from the start.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Splitting the difference between big nickel with terrible safeties and 4-3 without a capable SAM linebacker last year was doomed from the start.

I hate that defense so much. We were getting mauled in the run game and our solution was to subtract a linebacker from the field and go with another DB?

Steve Wilkes was arguably the worst coach we've had since we came back.

...nevermind. I forgot about Jim O'Neill right before hitting submit.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

I hate that defense so much. We were getting mauled in the run game and our solution was to subtract a linebacker from the field and go with another DB?.

...WHILE taking a Pro Bowl CB in his 2nd year and the other rookie you drafted who excels at man/press man and can't tackle and then playing almost exclusively Cover 3/Cover 4 and taking Randall's ball hawking ability completely out of the equation whatsoever.

Wilks may have actually been the worst coach on this staff last year, and that's saying something. I'll stand by that comment.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Wilks may have actually been the worst coach on this staff last year, and that's saying something. I'll stand by that comment.

He for sure was. We had a lot of pieces on that defense. I feel like none of them were used correctly or to the best of their talents.

And our adjustments were non-existent. The holes in our defense were exposed week in and week out and nothing was done to fix it.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I hate that defense so much. We were getting mauled in the run game and our solution was to subtract a linebacker from the field and go with another DB?

Steve Wilkes was arguably the worst coach we've had since we came back.

The scheme can work, it (like all schemes) requires some talent though. For Wilks it requires LB’s who can run and a hybrid S/LB or stud box SS, which we didn’t have after we traded Peppers.

Just like great ingredients don’t make a great meal if you can’t cook, having a great chef doesn’t mean they can turn any old thing into fine cuisine.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

...nevermind. I forgot about Jim O'Neill right before hitting submit.

This.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

...WHILE taking a Pro Bowl CB in his 2nd year and the other rookie you drafted who excels at man/press man and can't tackle and then playing almost exclusively Cover 3/Cover 4 and taking Randall's ball hawking ability completely out of the equation whatsoever.

I agree with this, but we knew this when we hired him tbh.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Oh stop, Freddie had 4 all pro talents and Baker and couldn’t move the ball.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

He for sure was. We had a lot of pieces on that defense. I feel like none of them were used correctly or to the best of their talents.

Eh.. the talent was overrated tbh.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

And our adjustments were non-existent. The holes in our defense were exposed week in and week out and nothing was done to fix it.

If the holes are related to talent/personnel, that’s a tough fix week to week.

52 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree with this, but we knew this when we hired him tbh.

Which was an awful hire.

52 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh stop, Freddie had 4 all pro talents and Baker and couldn’t move the ball.

Ah, the classic "chicken or the egg" argument. ;)