2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

Vita Vea wouldn't be my first choice, but i'm starting to think he could be the pick. We have 5 guys that can compete for 3-tech, and signing a partner for Mack, like Ansah or if Quinn becomes available, would probably be the best way to fix the D-line. Mario, Hester, Ward, Latham, Vanderdoes can all be in a battle for 3T. 

Mack- Vea- MEJ- Ansah

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Vita Vea wouldn't be my first choice, but i'm starting to think he could be the pick. We have 5 guys that can compete for 3-tech, and signing a partner for Mack, like Ansah or if Quinn becomes available, would probably be the best way to fix the D-line. Mario, Hester, Ward, Latham, Vanderdoes can all be in a battle for 3T. 

Mack- Vea- MEJ- Ansah

Yeah I'd love that. I've been going back and forth personally on whether or not Vea should be the pick. And I've mentioned i would love having Ziggy too. Imagine if we kept Autry for 3T on top of that. Although I expect another team will offer him more than we want to pay. And j won't blame him if he takes the offer

7 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Unrelated but I'm starting to think we have to take Barkley if he's there. Dude is just too good to pass up. Even if he is a RB. 

Of course, but it' just no way. Cleveland will take him number 1 imo. There will be plenty of QB's they could choose from at 4, and shouldn't risk letting the NYG or IND grabbing him or even somebody trading up. They need to walk away with him and one of the top Qb's and that's how they do it.

21 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Yeah I'd love that. I've been going back and forth personally on whether or not Vea should be the pick. And I've mentioned i would love having Ziggy too. Imagine if we kept Autry for 3T on top of that. Although I expect another team will offer him more than we want to pay. And j won't blame him if he takes the offer

I would then target LB in the 2nd in this Scenario. Vander Esch, or Evans. Yeah I figure Autry to be gone.

5 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Of course, but it' just no way. Cleveland will take him number 1 imo. There will be plenty of QB's they could choose from at 4, and shouldn't risk letting the NYG or IND grabbing him or even somebody trading up. They need to walk away with him and one of the top Qb's and that's how they do it.

or they could pay Cousins an ungodly amount of money (to solidify the position with Gordon/Coleman/Njoku as targets), and then have an absurd amount of trade-back options to stockpile first round picks like the celtics did a few years back

1 minute ago, raiderrocker18 said:

or they could pay Cousins an ungodly amount of money (to solidify the position with Gordon/Coleman/Njoku as targets), and then have an absurd amount of trade-back options to stockpile first round picks like the celtics did a few years back

They still should take Barkley #1 to complete that offense in your scenario, and still can trade back with the #4 pick.

For me Vita Vea is the pick.

Our best player on defense is Mack - and at the moment it is too easy to scheme him out (or at least limit his effectiveness) with double and triple teams - though he still does an admirable job. We need to get some more talent on the D-line so that Mack is not the only concern for the opposing offense. Our D-line outside of Mack is poor (Edwards is good but is an injury waiting to happen and I like Ellis but he is very one dimensional).

I know Vea is portrayed as a 1-tech kind of guy (and he can play that no doubt), but I would sign someone like Poe or even bring back Ellis to play 1-tech and take on the double teams and leave Vea 1 on 1 with a Guard at 3-tech - Vea would give most Guards nightmares 1 on 1. That would give us a line of:

Mack - Poe - Vea - Mario

This would give us:

• Consistent pressure up the middle (which we have not really had for a long time)
  • Less attention on Mack thus likely boosting his productivity
  • Clean Linebackers
  • More Pass rush that by extension makes our secondary better simply by having to cover for less time

In essence, Vea is a player (imho) that not only upgrades his position, but makes the whole defense better. Now if we could get an Evans or Vanderesch in round 2 our defense suddenly looks somewhere between respectable and very good.

Not sure if many of you follow Vic cotto but he is usually accurate with many things raider related. He can get a little annoying at times, but here are a couple players he said our staff likes:

Arden Key but only in the second

Apparently we are very high on Leighton Vander Esch. Didn’t say what round value though.

Josh Jackson CB Iowa

And apparently Chucky really likes Christian Kirk and James Washington. Both shorter, shifter wrs.

Just throwing it out there.

18 minutes ago, SinCity said:

For me Vita Vea is the pick.

Our best player on defense is Mack - and at the moment it is too easy to scheme him out (or at least limit his effectiveness) with double and triple teams - though he still does an admirable job. We need to get some more talent on the D-line so that Mack is not the only concern for the opposing offense. Our D-line outside of Mack is poor (Edwards is good but is an injury waiting to happen and I like Ellis but he is very one dimensional).

I know Vea is portrayed as a 1-tech kind of guy (and he can play that no doubt), but I would sign someone like Poe or even bring back Ellis to play 1-tech and take on the double teams and leave Vea 1 on 1 with a Guard at 3-tech - Vea would give most Guards nightmares 1 on 1. That would give us a line of:

Mack - Poe - Vea - Mario

This would give us:

• Consistent pressure up the middle (which we have not really had for a long time)
  • Less attention on Mack thus likely boosting his productivity
  • Clean Linebackers
  • More Pass rush that by extension makes our secondary better simply by having to cover for less time

In essence, Vea is a player (imho) that not only upgrades his position, but makes the whole defense better. Now if we could get an Evans or Vanderesch in round 2 our defense suddenly looks somewhere between respectable and very good.

I rather have Ansah over Poe if I got to choose

8 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Unrelated but I'm starting to think we have to take Barkley if he's there. Dude is just too good to pass up. Even if he is a RB. 

If Barkley is on the board it is a no brainer.  I doubt he is though.  What are your thoughts on Tremain Edmunds at 9/10?

I hope we just take the best player available in the early rounds. I don't care if the best guy at 9 is a center take him. If the scouts and coaches think he is a pro bowl type guy take him. I know you have to fill needs. But I have always thought rounds 1 and 2 really a team should take who they think is the best guy there. 

Archived