The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

32 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

How do you guys rank the GOATs at HW and WW since there's no doubt Rogan, DC, and Anik are going to be throwing these titles around like they're french fries all the time.

I still think GSP and Hughes are above anyone else today at WW. 1 and 2 respectively.

Stipe's defenses at HW have been entertaining but his inactivity is crazy I think. But he's still above Cain. Another one overrated by non other than DC himself. Maybe Cain would've been better if he wasn't told that he was some world beater striking. 

GSP and Hughes are 1-2 for sure but Usman's age will make it interesting if he keeps improving like this. 

HW is tougher.

Cain beat JDS twice, BigFoot twice(back when he wasn't a can), Big Nog, Brock Lesnar and Travis Browne

Stipe lost to JDS too, and avenged it. Lost to DC and avenged it twice, beat Ngannou who Cain lost to right a year later, also beat Werdum who just beat Cain for the belt not too long ago there. The Stefan Struve loss doesnt look great but I give the edge to Stipe

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You really can't compare across eras. The talent today is sooooo much better than it was when GSP and Spider ran the company. 

This is definitely true as well. I still compared the eras lol People will say so and so beat this guy twice, he ran thru the division twice!...but its also way less stacked too so you kind of had to go thru it twice or face a new undeserving guy

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

GSP and Hughes are 1-2 for sure but Usman's age will make it interesting if he keeps improving like this. 

HW is tougher.

Cain beat JDS twice, BigFoot twice(back when he wasn't a can), Big Nog, Brock Lesnar and Travis Browne

Stipe lost to JDS too, and avenged it. Lost to DC and avenged it twice, beat Ngannou who Cain lost to right a year later, also beat Werdum who just beat Cain for the belt not too long ago there. The Stefan Struve loss doesnt look great but I give the edge to Stipe

I think Stipe and Werdum are 1 and 2. 

Cain's always been overrated.

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You really can't compare across eras. The talent today is sooooo much better than it was when GSP and Spider ran the company. 

They also fought when PEDs were used by 95% of all the fighters and took way more damage from it than any of these guys today. And nobody can defend a title more than 3 or so times if that without trying to move up and be a champ champ. So stupid.

Especially how Izzy did it. Jon said aight then pull up and we'll do it at 205. Izzy was like nah I wanna defend the belt like Spider did and fight you in 2 years when I'm ready. Jon goes ok I'm fighting at heavyweight. Izzy's like ooooo I'm safe I'm gonna fight Jan. C'mon bro. Who's really scared. 

Jones vs Izzy would be like Jones vs DC 2. If there's one thing I've never seen Jon Jones do, it's this....

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by BullsandBroncos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I get that it wasnt an exciting fight but what did anyone expect? Like when DC fought Rumble, what did you expect? Of course he doesn’t wanna stand with him the whole time. I am curious how another Masvidal fight looks but man his striking looked so much better. Idk who beats him

Casuals wanna see bangers all day every day. 

7 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

He did seem to leave openings for Burns head kicks a lot in the first as well. Maybe Masvidal can exploit that, but who knows. 

Burns is a world class, world champion grappler so it kind of nullified Usman's wrestling, he wanted no part in being on that mat.  

I'm not a huge Usman fan but he has definitely proven that he is one of the best P4P fighters in the world. He has the cardio and wrestling to grind it out against strikers while also having the TDD, striking, and power to KO grapplers. He knew Woodley had one shot KO power so he wore him out and won a decision, knew Colby wanted a dirty fight and KO'd him, knew Masvidal wanted a kick boxing match and wore him out, and he knew Burns wanted a grappling match and KO'd him. 

IIRC Usman is the only fighter on the roster to have 100% take down defense. It will be difficult for anyone to beat him especially after he has proven to be able to take big shots and recover. 

Edited by NYRaider

12 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Amazing performance by Usman. All this talk about him being boring but man was that exciting or what? Whenever he is forced to throw punches or doesnt have the clear advantage on the ground he is fun to watch. Idk why he wasnt throwing alot of kicks before because his TDD is on point but man he looks good now. Excited to see him fight whoever is next

Think you hit the nail on his head that he turns out to be kind fun to watch when he doesn't want to/can't wrestle - ie Colby and Burns fights.

In other fights, I still think he's fairly boring to watch, but I respect it. A smothering 50-45 isn't super fun to watch, but that's not his problem.

I'm starting to fall in love a bit with Usman's striking. It's so basic and fundamental, but sometimes that's all you need. A guy with the length Usman has should utilize the jab and the 2 straight down the pipe, and that's what he does. Why do anything else, when you outreach everyone you fight against?

I am kinda interested to see how it plays out against Wonderboy or Edwards, who are both high-level strikers. 95% chance it ends up with either of those two on their back for 20+ minutes, but think there is a chance there.

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

If there's one thing I've never seen Jon Jones do, it's this....

maxresdefault.jpg

Jon Jones has also had just 28 pro fights (0 kickboxing fights). Adesanya has had 106 professional fights, 80 in kickboxing. A lot more chance of getting caught and knocked out at some point when you have that much more of a sample size.

Moving to camp with Trevor Wittman is going to make Kamaru the most unbeatable champion in all of MMA. If you can't wrestle with him and Wittman's coaching in the striking game takes hold, there's not a soul on the planet beating Kamaru. His chin is granite and he recovers faster than any human in the world. He'll be champion as long as he wants to be.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Moving to camp with Trevor Wittman is going to make Kamaru the most unbeatable champion in all of MMA. If you can't wrestle with him and Wittman's coaching in the striking game takes hold, there's not a soul on the planet beating Kamaru. His chin is granite and he recovers faster than any human in the world. He'll be champion as long as he wants to be.

His attributes are crazy when you think about it. For the division he has the best cardio, he is probably the best wrestler, steel chin, physically one of the bigger WW, best jab in the division, improving striking, 100% takedown defense, best fight IQ.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Think you hit the nail on his head that he turns out to be kind fun to watch when he doesn't want to/can't wrestle - ie Colby and Burns fights.

In other fights, I still think he's fairly boring to watch, but I respect it. A smothering 50-45 isn't super fun to watch, but that's not his problem.

I'm starting to fall in love a bit with Usman's striking. It's so basic and fundamental, but sometimes that's all you need. A guy with the length Usman has should utilize the jab and the 2 straight down the pipe, and that's what he does. Why do anything else, when you outreach everyone you fight against?

I am kinda interested to see how it plays out against Wonderboy or Edwards, who are both high-level strikers. 95% chance it ends up with either of those two on their back for 20+ minutes, but think there is a chance there.

Yea we all want to see a banger but if we were in that situation, we'd be taking the path of least resistance every freakin time. Cant fault him for that. Keep your title and get that $$$. Plus like you said there's some excitement to his game when the matchup dictates it and his striking should only get better