The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

4 hours ago, Dome said:

Decided to watch last night after tuning the UFC out for the last 6-7 years. Why do people like to hate Izzy?

He's just a goofy guy that talks a lot of ish and always promises to finish his opponents but hasn't really had much success finishing dudes unless they're significantly smaller than him. 

Forgot to hit submit my reply on my pick em damn it.

Lauren Murphy should be the next Shevchenko victim.

And it's not that Izzy magically obtained TDD since he fought Jan. Vettori just doesn't know how to shoot a takedown to save his life sans inside leg trips. Every time Izzy leans backwards like a doofus, he should've shot a takedown. They can't knee you in the face leaning and walking backwards.

So happy to see Moreno win the belt. He's going to be a nice champ to watch.

Nate's CTE mustve kicked in when he had Leon shook. Just about any other fighter in the UFC would've went for the kill and Nate was too worried about putting on a show. He loses another 2 fights and he's going to Bellator. 

55 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

He loses another 2 fights and he's going to Bellator. 

Doubtful, Nate lost the fight and was probably the biggest winner of the night. Nate's 1-3 in his last 4 and is still one of the 5 biggest draws in the UFC. His brother hasn't won a fight in over a decade and could headline a PPV that would do big numbers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Leon Edwards had a chance to really cement himself at the top of the division as a legitimate contender and dropped the ball with the eye poke and then getting tagged by Nate late in the fight. I'd love to see Edwards vs Masavidal next. 

I hope this gets booked so Usman stops ducking Colby.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Izzy is essentially a bigger, better version of Conor. Like Conor his power doesn't really translate against bigger opponents but he has the cardio and overall game to still go 5 rounds and beat guys. 

Not sure I agree with this. 

Conor seems to have displayed solid power in all of his fights sans-Khabib who smothered him for rounds and obv that's one draining fight. Maybe he's not Ngannou or deathtouching people like Aldo, but realistically if you look at his career - Aldo running into the left was an exception, not the rule. He tended to knock people down, not out, but very consistently. More of a TKO artist than a KO artist, if you will. Doesn't mean he can't crack, imo. 1000% agree with the cardio point, however. 

With Izzy - I'm not sure I look at a 40% Finish Rate and think "That's unwatchable". People don't seem to share the same concerns with Bobby Knuckles, for example. I'm going to talk out of my butt here because I'm too lazy to research, but I'm not sure how many guys are really posting a higher finish rate with the caliber of resume Adesanya has fought so far. He's fought really good competition and the better the opposition, the harder to finish.

I think a lot of people are still bitter over the Romero fight and not beating Jan and it has stained his image a bit, unfairly or not. He's getting Lebron treatment because he turned out to not be Jordan, if that makes sense. 

26 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Not sure I agree with this. 

Conor seems to have displayed solid power in all of his fights sans-Khabib who smothered him for rounds and obv that's one draining fight. Maybe he's not Ngannou or deathtouching people like Aldo, but realistically if you look at his career - Aldo running into the left was an exception, not the rule. He tended to knock people down, not out, but very consistently. More of a TKO artist than a KO artist, if you will. Doesn't mean he can't crack, imo. 1000% agree with the cardio point, however. 

Conor has had 6 fights above 145 in the UFC and he's 3-3 with 2 finishes. Those finishes came against Eddie Alvarez and an old washed up Cowboy Cerrone. 

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Conor has had 6 fights above 145 in the UFC and he's 3-3 with 2 finishes. Those finishes came against Eddie Alvarez and an old washed up Cowboy Cerrone. 

Normally, you wouldn’t include losses in finishing rate, so this seems like a weird stat. 

Could just as easily say that, in his 3 wins above 145 (2 being at 170) he has 2/3 finishes and in the one he didn’t, knocked the guy down 3 times (7 knockdowns in those 3 wins). 

Conor wasn’t struggling in those other fights because of a lack of power, but rather because he was simply getting beat. 

36 minutes ago, Herbie_Hancock said:

So happy that two of my buddies and I pooled together and bet $150 on +380 Diaz

ouchie

Ooooof.

How did you feel about him rocking the hell out of edwards, then taunting him rather than trying to finish?

style points for sure, but damn if he didn’t basically trade away the chance for a win to secure the taunt  

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think Costa is pretty overrated to be honest. He ran through a couple of pre-lim guys and that's when the hype started. Then he KO'd an old Johnny Hendrix and Uriah Hall. The Romero fight was okay for the first round but both guys were absolutely gassed out and he didn't finish him. 

Speaking more to the size/durability shown of the opponent but yea definitely overrated

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

Normally, you wouldn’t include losses in finishing rate, so this seems like a weird stat. 

Could just as easily say that, in his 3 wins above 145 (2 being at 170) he has 2/3 finishes and in the one he didn’t, knocked the guy down 3 times (7 knockdowns in those 3 wins). 

Conor wasn’t struggling in those other fights because of a lack of power, but rather because he was simply getting beat. 

Nate, Khabib, and Poirier all either dropped him or wobbled him bad.