The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Fair enough but he's not the same style of fighter in the cage as the guys notoriously are from there. 

Regardless, we won't truly know until he has a 3 round war but I don't have any reason to believe he'll dump. Maybe his highly aggressive style will lead to an adrenaline dump at some point but we have little reason to believe that.

Could also lead him to getting caught (unlikely because even the elite strikers of the division aren't as good as the good ones in LW like Dustin, Dan, Justin, Chucky Olives, etc). Usman and Burn's best chances are late in the fight if they can out last and keep him at a distance. 

17 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Could also lead him to getting caught (unlikely because even the elite strikers of the division aren't as good as the good ones in LW like Dustin, Dan, Justin, Chucky Olives, etc). Usman and Burn's best chances are late in the fight if they can out last and keep him at a distance. 

imo Burns will have to sub him, and Usman will have to outpoint him, or catch him with something.

4 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

imo Burns will have to sub him, and Usman will have to outpoint him, or catch him with something.

Agreed. Burns has the power to catch him but I don't know about his marksmanship. His best chance is a sub since he's got the best BJJ at 170. Usman's chances of catching him are about even with burns. Don't think Usman can get a sub since he hasn't shown anything there in his career and for all we know, was gifted his black belt. But unlikely given the reputation of last gym and their BJJ guys.

Brady's grappling is really next level. he was just a step ahead of Chiesa.

What I worry about is he's kinda short for the division, and it looks like against longer strikers he'll have trouble, as he did on the feet against Chiesa.

still, another fascinating contender in the 170 division. interested to see who he fights next.

Burns is the toughest matchup for Chimaev (pre Usman) because he is a very competent striker who will be incredibly hard to take down (and won't be terrible off his back if it happens). It's basically the toughest matchup they could make, stylistically, and it will tell us a lot.

What I DON'T understand, is people saying that Burns path to victory is a sub. This is along the same flawed thinking that Oliveira is a tough matchup for Islam. Islam is an absolutely NIGHTMARE match for Chucky Olives and the idea that OIiveira has a chance to catch him off his back is a joke. 

Both of these dudes certainly have paths to victory and they are both via KO/TKO. The idea of letting these Dagestani dudes take you down and trying to play the BJJ game off your back is absolutely insane.

5 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Brady's grappling is really next level. he was just a step ahead of Chiesa.

What I worry about is he's kinda short for the division, and it looks like against longer strikers he'll have trouble, as he did on the feet against Chiesa.

still, another fascinating contender in the 170 division. interested to see who he fights next.

Yea its crazy:

1. How much smaller he looked 

2. How the heck Chiesa made 155

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

Burns is the toughest matchup for Chimaev (pre Usman) because he is a very competent striker who will be incredibly hard to take down (and won't be terrible off his back if it happens). It's basically the toughest matchup they could make, stylistically, and it will tell us a lot.

What I DON'T understand, is people saying that Burns path to victory is a sub. This is along the same flawed thinking that Oliveira is a tough matchup for Islam. Islam is an absolutely NIGHTMARE match for Chucky Olives and the idea that OIiveira has a chance to catch him off his back is a joke. 

Both of these dudes certainly have paths to victory and they are both via KO/TKO. The idea of letting these Dagestani dudes take you down and trying to play the BJJ game off your back is absolutely insane.

I dont think his only path is a sub, he is a high level MMA fighter. Should be very interesting no matter where the fight goes

As for the bolded, who is saying they should let them be taken down?...

33 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont think his only path is a sub, he is a high level MMA fighter. Should be very interesting no matter where the fight goes

As for the bolded, who is saying they should let them be taken down?...

Are you thinking either Oliveira or Burns is going to take down Islam/Khamzat? Because otherwise I'm not seeing how they sub them? 

8 hours ago, Soggust said:

Are you thinking either Oliveira or Burns is going to take down Islam/Khamzat? Because otherwise I'm not seeing how they sub them? 

Ahh the guy with over 20 subs in the UFC who is also the submissions record holder has no chance of subbing Islam? That's an odd take. I didn't say he'd let him take him down or anything like that. jiu jitsu isn't just working off your back.

you don't give Burns' and Olives' ground game enough respect at all.

Gleison Tibau was never taken down Khabib, and out struck him. Olives and Burns are 10x the grappler that he is. 

30 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Ahh the guy with over 20 subs in the UFC who is also the submissions record holder has no chance of subbing Islam? That's an odd take. I didn't say he'd let him take him down or anything like that. jiu jitsu isn't just working off your back.

you don't give Burns' and Olives' ground game enough respect at all.

Gleison Tibau was never taken down Khabib, and out struck him. Olives and Burns are 10x the grappler that he is. 

Then what's the answer? If he's not going to take Islam down and he's not going to work off his back, how's he going to sub him lol? A flash KO followed by jumping his back? Mayyyybeee, but that's kind of my point -> the path to victory is from the standup not the ground game. 

My point being BJJ isn't going to beat wrestling here. These dudes are too good and too aware. The path to beating the Russians is anti-wrestling and striking (Colby/Usman/Burns come to mind). The idea is to keep it standing and catch them on the feet. 

Olives is great, but if Felder sat in his guard, I don't see Islam changing his strategy.