The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

So basically Chimaev moves up and still doesnt face a real MW. Boo

I like the fight but the fact its now a #1 contender fight is kind of annoying especially with DDP having such an impressive win over Whittaker. I wonder if they wanna match him with Izzy but no belt?

Props to Alex for stepping up but man i just feel like the public will say if he loses that its just because of it being last minute. Feel bad for Charles but dude how are you sparring that late in camp with no headgear?

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Listen to the presser, drug testing isnt going away. Going with a different company is all

I just don't trust a word the UFC says until I see it. They've proven they are more inclined to favor what sells as opposed to what's right so until I see them actually make it work, I'll be skeptical. 

I'd bet that Conor ends up somehow fighting by January. 

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

I just don't trust a word the UFC says until I see it. They've proven they are more inclined to favor what sells as opposed to what's right so until I see them actually make it work, I'll be skeptical. 

I'd bet that Conor ends up somehow fighting by January. 

I get the skepticism i do but i cant help but feel like (besides Conor) if they decided to stop testing they would lose fighters to free agency more frequently 

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

We're officially at the point where fighters throw around the "You're protected" stuff way too much now. 

I don't really have a problem with Bo doing it. I'd rather a guy shoot for the top than the guys that don't want big fights until they get a new contract, and the fact that he wanted this fight is pretty bad ***. 

It's pretty interesting how weight cutting effects different fighters. There's so many different categories guys fall under-

Picked out some big name/notable fighters-

(Mega) 40lbs+: Johnson(WW), Tibau, Khabib, Holloway, Costa, Poirier(FW), Till(WW)

(Super) 30-35lbs: Rockhold(MW), Woodley(WW), Ferguson(LW), Cormier(LHW), Rampage(LHW), Oliveira(FW), Cejudo(FW), Sterling(BW), Makhachev(LW), Moraes(BW), Ortega(FW)

(Big) 25-30lbs: Sonnen(MW), Hughes(WW), Griffin(LHW), Chandler(LW), Alvarez(LW), Masvidal(LW), 

(Medium) 20-25lbs: GSP(WW), Lawler(WW), O'Malley(BW), Jon Jones(LHW), Silva(MW), McGregor(FW), Gaethje(LW), Rory McDonald(WW), Aldo(FW), Volkanovski(FW), Cerrone(LW), Dillashaw(BW)

(Small) 15-20lbs: Nick Diaz(WW), Liddell(LHW), Penn(LW)

(Easy) 10-15lbs: Covington, Couture(LHW)

(None-Minimum) 0-10lbs: Edgar(LW), Gunnar Nelson

Didn't want to spend all day looking up how much weight different fighters cut, but of the big names I did search some clear trends emerged:

1. It's obvious heavier guys can get away with cutting more weight before the health issues set in. It's also just easier to cut weight when you're bigger.

2. 20-25 LBs was the most common range, which makes sense. It appears to be a competitive range that may bring tough cuts, but not health issues or problems making weight. So you get solid size within a division and aren't killing yourself to stay on weight. 

3. You'll have guys who look worse on weigh in day than fighters who cut significantly more weight than them. Just a body chemistry & distribution thing I guess. 

4. A lot of the older names I looked up didn't cut as much weight as the newer gen.

Decided to look up some of this stuff because I saw a bunch of people arguing under this post about Islam. Seems like Cormier was joking about 200, Islam said he was at 183-185, but the most common number I could find was around or a little over 190 which puts him in that 30-35 lb cut category.