The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The amount of love and hype that Chimaev and Islam receive is insane to me. Dudes have fought no one and live off of Khabib's hype. I genuinely think both guys are juiced to the gills and can't wait to see them both lose tomorrow. 

I'm with you on Islam, but Chimaev has been the real deal for a while.

Rough night betting already for me but that dos Santos fight not ending really put me in the hole. Then the dude has the audacity to take a point from him. What a joke. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I'm with you on Islam, but Chimaev has been the real deal for a while.

Rough night betting already for me but that dos Santos fight not ending really put me in the hole. Then the dude has the audacity to take a point from him. What a joke. 

I will eat crow, Chimaev is legit. I expected Li to be able to stop the early take downs then clip him as the fight went on. Li's supposedly a black belt in BJJ and got absolutely man handled. If I'm a fighter I'm abandoning BJJ for sombo. 

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

I will eat crow, Chimaev is legit. I expected Li to be able to stop the early take downs then clip him as the fight went on. Li's supposedly a black belt in BJJ and got absolutely man handled. If I'm a fighter I'm abandoning BJJ for sombo. 

You're right about Islam though (although I might be eating crow in an hour too). People keep calling him the new Khabib but I don't see it. He's good, but to give him that title he has to be doing more. I don't see him being the top few guys in that division. 

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

You're right about Islam though (although I might be eating crow in an hour too). People keep calling him the new Khabib but I don't see it. He's good, but to give him that title he has to be doing more. I don't see him being the top few guys in that division. 

I see Islam as like a young Kamaru at the moment. Super strong wrestler, but more of a position than submission/GnP guy, who is also a little too in love with his hands.

If he continues to grow, as he should at AKA, and god forbid develop some striking like Usman (or even add a jab like Khabib did), he's going to be champ for a while imo.

Just now, JonStark said:

meh it's kinda unfair that Islam is compared to Khabib all the time. I mean it makes sense obviously, but Khabib is/was special, and it's not like every new guy out of dagestan is just going to be as good as him.

Islam is no Khabib, but he's been impressive in his own right. don't know if he'll beat one of the top 2-3 guys, but he does deserve to be talked about as a contender 

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I honestly didn't even know who Li was before this card. Hooker has been in wars and finished some of the best of the best in the UFC. I could see another scenario like the Li fight if Islam can get him down early but if Hooker keeps it standing I think he can put him away.

Just now, Buckrock101 said:

meh it's kinda unfair that Islam is compared to Khabib all the time. I mean it makes sense obviously, but Khabib is/was special, and it's not like every new guy out of dagestan is just going to be as good as him.

Islam is no Khabib, but he's been impressive in his own right. don't know if he'll beat one of the top 2-3 guys, but he does deserve to be talked about as a contender 

Everyone and their mom compares him to Khabib including Khabib, lol.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I honestly didn't even know who Li was before this card.

Really? Suprised you weren't familiar with the Leech considering you seem like an active watcher. Dude has like 15 fights or something in UFC including knocking out Ponz last fight.

Just now, Soggust said:

Really? Suprised you weren't familiar with the Leech considering you seem like an active watcher. Dude has like 15 fights or something in UFC including knocking out Ponz last fight.

My UFC fandom has gone down, mainly because Dana never puts on the fights people want to see and there's way too much politics involved in match making.

• Like 1

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)