The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

Next card looks good. Three title fights. Expecting Usman to beat Masvidal again, but not as bad this time. Maybe 48-47 or 49-46 Usman, and some of those rounds being pretty close. I’ll be rooting for Masvidal. 

Zheng vs Rose is also gonna be a banger. Think Zheng takes it but you never know with Rose, shes tough as hell. 

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

In terms of managing your gas tank as a striker, boxing provides better training than MMA imo. And it's always easier to conserve/manage energy when you're in familiar situations. Askren isn't a boxer, and from what I've read the Paul kid has trained as one for multiple years in a legitimate way. He's also got youth on his side. 

So I'd think he'd be the one getting stronger, more comfortable, and remaining fresher as the fight wears on. 

Ben Askren won two D1 wrestling national championships and won the heisman trophy for collegiate wrestling twice as well. He was also an Olympian wrestler and has had 22 professional MMA fights, 9 of which lasted 15+ min, and 4 that went 25 min. Jake Paul started training to box in 2018 but only has 2 professional fights that have lasted a total of like 6 min and 30 seconds. 

I can also assure you that the cardio required to grapple/wrestle is much higher than the cardio required to box. In grappling you're literally trying to move an entire grown man's body weight for 20+ minutes, in boxing you're just throwing punches. 

Askren has been in the deep waters before as both a wrestler and an MMA fighter. Paul has 6 minutes of ring time against these two guys. Who had never fought in their lives. 

Em9K4DLXMAION2C.jpg

En8TI96XYAIzZ4j.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

I can also assure you that the cardio required to grapple/wrestle is much higher than the cardio required to box. In grappling you're literally trying to move an entire grown man's body weight for 20+ minutes, in boxing you're just throwing punches. 

I've done both and am aware of the differences. I'm saying, it isn't an MMA match. It's just striking in this one, and in terms of managing your gas tank in a pure standup fight- I think classic boxing experience and training fares better when up against striking training for MMA. Especially when you're legit boxing.

It's part of the reason why the Diaz brothers have been so successful in that area imo. They don't have limitless cardio, but they do have solid gas tanks and even better command of how to apply them across a 15-25 minute match. 

I'm not pulling for Jake either. I don't know much about him but he seems like a ****** and it looks like he was just accused of SA by some girl who looks hella young. Just going off of my experience though, in boxing gyms guys with less actual boxing experience tend to lose. Pretty simple. Guess we'll see how legit Paul's training has been, because that's what matters. Not his fights with those bums. Askren won't wilt like they did.

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

I've done both and am aware of the differences. I'm saying, it isn't an MMA match. It's just striking in this one, and in terms of managing your gas tank in a pure standup fight- I think classic boxing experience and training fares better when up against striking training for MMA. Especially when you're legit boxing.

Ben Askren has been a professional MMA fighter for 12 years, I guarantee that he has done more boxing training/sparring than Jake Paul. We've never seen Jake Paul's gas tank tested, he's not a professional athlete, he's a Disney channel actor and blogger. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Ben Askren has been a professional MMA fighter for 12 years, I guarantee that he has done more boxing training/sparring than Jake Paul. We've never seen Jake Paul's gas tank tested, he's not a professional athlete, he's a Disney channel actor and blogger. 

I get your point bro. MMA Boxing and regular Boxing aren't a 1:1 thing though, and shouldn't be trained the same. If your belief/scenario is true and Ben Askren is a hyper refined boxer who will rely on years of training, career experience, and his athletic pedigree- then it should be a short night for Jake.

4 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I get your point bro. MMA Boxing and regular Boxing aren't a 1:1 thing though, and shouldn't be trained the same. If your belief/scenario is true and Ben Askren is a hyper refined boxer who will rely on years of training, career experience, and his athletic pedigree- then it should be a short night for Jake.

Of course they're different, I just don't think Paul is going to walk through Askren like everyone else does. 

6 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

vettori hasn't lost since the adesanya fight. a fight bisping and 1 judge thought he won

True and it definitely will be an interesting fight but Izzy has obviously gotten better too. Right after the Marvin fight he won a UD vs Tavares which seems strange too. Now we'd all expect a finish from Stylebender

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Of course they're different, I just don't think Paul is going to walk through Askren like everyone else does. 

Do people think he walks thru Askren? I mean I dont think im betting on anyone in this one but considering the punches he's taken in 4 oz gloves, I feel like he wont just get murked in 2 rounds

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303