The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

3 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

He was. Only his fan boys could deny it. He slipped out because it was 103 degrees in that arena 

He was definitely compromised but, the one thing I remember, was that Dustin didn't have both hips down on the mat for most of the choke. The choke was in tight but Dustin couldn't get max leverage on it and the temp in the arena allowed Khabib to just slip out of it.

32 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

He was. Only his fan boys could deny it. He slipped out because it was 103 degrees in that arena 

Listen to Dustin talk about it on Rogan's podcast. It had more to do with Khabib's knowledge than the temperature.

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Watch Khabib's face again in that choke. He was certainly in trouble. 

Define trouble.

I mean, was it tight? Sure. It was even tight enough to force Khabib to roll to a hip from half guard, momentarily.

Except he jumps right back into it. Because at 0 point in the fight is Khabib ever concerned about getting subbed lol.

DP is not going to submit the greatest ground and pounder of all time from his back, much less with a choke he's never won a fight with. 

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 12:15 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

He hasnt lasted long enough lately to even show his bad cardio

I think the biggest issue for Conor has been that his power really just didn't translate when he moved up in weight. He was just starching dudes when he had a major size advantage at 145 but guys can take the shots at 155 and his cardio is piss poor.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:22 PM, beekay414 said:

His best bet was to cut the muscle mass and stick to 145 where his power translates but once you get fat, you don't go back. The worst thing to happen to him was the 4 punch KO of Eddie Alvarez. His power, while stunning, doesn't translate to 155 outside of punch drunk fighters.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:14 PM, agarcia34 said:

I know we can’t take Connor serious as a fighter. Just way to inactive since he took that Floyd fight and the talent has grown so much, but I am intrigued a little with him in a comeback fight cause now he is jacked. Won’t fix his issues with the cardio but if he can add power might give him a chance. Feels like we could see him soon

I've seen Dan Hooker floated around as a potential opponent. 

With the way that Conor has beefed up, I don't think there's any chance in hell that he makes 145 pounds again. Dude looked like he was on the verge of death when he was fighting at FW 7 years ago at age 26, he's 33 now, just don't see it.

His best bet is to just take a gimmie fight and try to go out on top with a spectacular KO then retire for good.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I've seen Dan Hooker floated around as a potential opponent. 

With the way that Conor has beefed up, I don't think there's any chance in hell that he makes 145 pounds again. Dude looked like he was on the verge of death when he was fighting at FW 7 years ago at age 26, he's 33 now, just don't see it.

His best bet is to just take a gimmie fight and try to go out on top with a spectacular KO then retire for good.

I can't take the Hooker talk seriously even ignoring the weight because he's simply not a draw.

In terms of most to least likely for Conor imo -

1) Nate III
2) Masvidal 

3) Chandler
4) Poirier IV

-- big gap --

5) Usman
6) Oliveira

19 hours ago, Soggust said:

I can't take the Hooker talk seriously even ignoring the weight because he's simply not a draw.

In terms of most to least likely for Conor imo -

1) Nate III
2) Masvidal 

3) Chandler
4) Poirier IV

-- big gap --

5) Usman
6) Oliveira

Conor can literally fight anyone and it's going to do massive PPV numbers, look at the Cowboy fight. I think it's unlikely that he takes a "tune up" fight based on his most recent comments.

I'd guess that he fights Oliveira, Usman, Diaz, or Poirier next. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Conor can literally fight anyone and it's going to do massive PPV numbers, look at the Cowboy fight. I think it's unlikely that he takes a "tune up" fight based on his most recent comments.

I'd guess that he fights Oliveira, Usman, Diaz, or Poirier next. 

I agree (and maybe I'm just adding to your point here), but he's also smart enough to know that the better the dance partner, the more money he makes.

Cowboy is a relatively big name and easy fight, comparatively. Hooker isn't close to as big of a name as Cowboy, imo. I can see those 4 names, but I think Masvidal is a sneaky contender and would be my #1 fight for Conor, if I was Dana/Sean/UFC.

5 hours ago, Soggust said:

I agree (and maybe I'm just adding to your point here), but he's also smart enough to know that the better the dance partner, the more money he makes.

Cowboy is a relatively big name and easy fight, comparatively. Hooker isn't close to as big of a name as Cowboy, imo. I can see those 4 names, but I think Masvidal is a sneaky contender and would be my #1 fight for Conor, if I was Dana/Sean/UFC.

Conor's new UFC contract guarantees him $5M for showing up and he reportedly gets 60% of the PPV revenue as well. His last three fights did 1.3, 1.5, and 1.6 million buys against Cerrone and Dustin twice. So regardless of who he fights, it's basically a guarantee that he's going to do 1-1.2M sales minimum. So if he were to fight Hooker and it did 1M buys, he'd still get his $5M to show and roughly $45M in PPV points. 

I don't think he takes a warm up fight though I think it's either Diaz or for the 155/170 title.

Don't really see the appeal of doing Masvidal/Conor for his first fight back. Masvidal's moment in the sun has come and gone, he's on a 3 fight losing streak, and it's a tough matchup for Conor that really doesn't move the needle for his career if he wins.

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

As someone in the minority of still watching TUF, this season is just terrible

It really is. I'm committed at this point but I don't see anyone so far that will be anything special. They have all been decisions so far right? 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303