The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

8 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Volk is the #1 P4P fighter in the world….yes, above JBJ

Maybe.

Just some perspective real quick...

March 19th, 2011. That's when Jon Jones won his first UFC title. Every fight of his since then has been for a UFC belt in some form and he hasn't lost. In March of 2011, Alexander Volkanovski wasn't even an MMA fighter yet. Jon Jones is a year older than Alexander Volkanovski.

Perspective.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Maybe.

Just some perspective real quick...

March 19th, 2011. That's when Jon Jones won his first UFC title. Every fight of his since then has been for a UFC belt in some form and he hasn't lost. In March of 2011, Alexander Volkanovski wasn't even an MMA fighter yet. 

Perspective.

My take is part Volk being in his prime and JBJ being out of his….but I also think the sport has evolved year over year, and while JBJ has beaten some legends, he was way ahead of his time when he was at his peak, which is a compliment to his greatness.

With todays MMA being the best it’s ever been, I think there’s an argument that Volks best wins are just as if not more impressive than JBJs when taking into account level of competition.

Just now, Pats#1 said:

My take is part Volk being in his prime and JBJ being out of his….but I also think the sport has evolved year over year, and while JBJ has beaten some legends, he was way ahead of his time when he was at his peak, which is a compliment to his greatness.

With todays MMA being the best it’s ever been, I think there’s an argument that Volks best wins are just as if not more impressive than JBJs when taking into account level of competition.

Jon's not done yet tho. 

The fact that Jon took 3 years off and then came back and won the UFC HW title in 100 seconds just speaks to his level of greatness. If he walks through Stipe, my word.  

And it's hard to really compare across weight classes so it's probably just better to appreciate both these badasses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Jon's not done yet tho. 

The fact that Jon took 3 years off and then came back and won the UFC HW title in 100 seconds just speaks to his level of greatness. If he walks through Stipe, my word.  

And it's hard to really compare across weight classes so it's probably just better to appreciate both these badasses. 

Oh 100%….was in zero way trying to put JBJ down, I’m just in awe of how damn well rounded Volk has shown to be.

I still think JBJ is the all time GOAT fighter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

I still think JBJ is the all time GOAT fighter. 

100%. Man has watched the game evolve and he's been at the top of the mountain for 12 years. He's been in the best MMA organization in the world and has no idea what it's like to lose. He's had his close calls and a lot of people wanna see him fall off for obvious reasons but 12 god damn years and he's still got gold. He's half assed a lot of his career outside of the octagon and he's still the greatest combat sports athlete of all-time. The amount of natural talent that man oozes is just insanity. I'll never forget UFC 126 and UFC 128 or where I was for both fights. I was insanely hype when he beat Bader and they told him he was getting Rua 6 weeks later. Then when he had Rua on the ropes, I was going off until the ref stepped in. Never thought he'd still be at the top of the game when I was pushing closer to 40 lol. 

2 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

I’m just in awe of how damn well rounded Volk has shown to be.

He's built like a tank with a gas tank for days, has a great reach and his understanding of boxing angles is next level. If they feed him Topuria next, that hype train is dead on the tracks. 

Amazing card. 

- Robbie with the perfect ending to his career.
- Bo making quick work of a late replacement (who was still undefeated)
- Hooker winning a war over Turner (wish he finished though...)
- DDP shocking everyone and finishing Whit. Hated to see it, but makes for an interesting next fight.
- Pantoja/Moreno putting on an insane fight that one judge must have missed.
- Volk continuing to put his name in the #1 P4P/GOAT conversation. 

Really don't know what happened to Izzy. When he was coming up, he was my guy. Knew he would be huge and thought his personality was awesome. Now the dude is the cringiest person by far on a roster that includes Triple C. He's still gonna work DDP, but I can't be rooting for him after that wack octagon interview. DDP handled himself with class. 

• Like 1

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303