Braves sign Ozuna (1/18 million)

ramssuperbowl99

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Not sure why we couldn't pony up the extra 500k to keep him...

Not like he didn't wanna be here...

I think that's the problem.  He didn't want to take this offer.  I'd imagine we had a shorter deal with a high AAV, or a longer deal with a lower AAV.  He wanted a longterm deal with a high AAV, which he clearly wasn't going to get.  Instead, he essentially takes a 1 year deal and he can go into next offseason without the QO attached to him.  I get it.  Not sure I would have done the same thing, but at least I understand his logic.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think that's the problem.  He didn't want to take this offer.  I'd imagine we had a shorter deal with a high AAV, or a longer deal with a lower AAV.  He wanted a longterm deal with a high AAV, which he clearly wasn't going to get.  Instead, he essentially takes a 1 year deal and he can go into next offseason without the QO attached to him.  I get it.  Not sure I would have done the same thing, but at least I understand his logic.

Even if we did, he wanted to be here. I'm sure he and his agent would've come back and said hey we have a 1 year deal on the table for 18 million we're leaning toward, do you want to match. We had the high ground on this one...

Just baffles me that we'd let our #4 hitter leave for 500k more and a sandwich pick, when we clearly needed his bat...

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We talked about this early on in the offseason, I'm skeptical there was a multi-year offer that was even close. Ozuna is the type of player modern baseball markets consider very replaceable.

This is a really good deal for the Braves. They get to give Waters a year to develop, and not lose much production with the departure of Donaldson. Give Enciarte another year and in 2021, the Braves starting outfield is Waters-Pache-Acuna, and they will have figured out if Riley is worth keeping or not by then. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We talked about this early on in the offseason, I'm skeptical there was a multi-year offer that was even close. Ozuna is the type of player modern baseball markets consider very replaceable.

That's kinda my point.  Although our argument was about the market in general.  You thought it was going to be another slow-moving market, which given the contracts handed out to Cole, Strasburg, etc. wasn't quite the case.  The Cardinals probably had something along the lines of a 3 year, $39M or a 2 year, $30M deal on the table.  But I think Ozuna was looking for something closer to 5 years, $90M.

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's kinda my point.  Although our argument was about the market in general.  You thought it was going to be another slow-moving market, which given the contracts handed out to Cole, Strasburg, etc. wasn't quite the case.  The Cardinals probably had something along the lines of a 3 year, $39M or a 2 year, $30M deal on the table.  But I think Ozuna was looking for something closer to 5 years, $90M.

Yeah I didn't expect the number of big contracts given how slow its been, but it looks like the market for LF/1B isn't ticking back up. Ozuna probably gets 5/$90MM a decade ago.