"Can't Guard Mike" (Michael Thomas of the New Orleans Saints) Wins Offensive Player of the Year Award

MrnastiesNO

18 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Kind of feel like some of the voters must’ve colluded a bit. Give Lamar the unanimous MVP to recognize his great season, while making sure to give Thomas the OPOY to make sure he was recognized for his terrific season as well. With the MVP basically being a QB/RB award, I’m down with the OPOY going to the WR/TE/RB that has an excellent season. Perhaps they should just scrap the award and make it the “Offensive Skill Position Player of the Year” as well as the “Offensive blocker of the year” which could go mainly TEs/OL... though maybe a RB/WR might get a little forget and compete for that award too... in kind of that Wilt Chamberlain vein where he wanted to lead the NBA in assists as a big man.

There has only now been 2 WRs to ever win the award. The MVP is a QB award. OPOY is actually probably a more accurate award that is non-discriminatory. 

28 of the previous 45 OPOY winners were also MVPs.

I would have been happy with either him or Caff winning. Personally I'm a little more impressed with McCaffrey granted the QB situation in Carolina, but breaking the receptions record is hard to pass over. Caff did something great, but 1000/1000 has been done a few times before. 

On 2/1/2020 at 8:34 PM, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Biggest wussy ever. Always crying and complaining after every L. No show come playoff time. Wussy. No cap.

No show? 5 playoff games, 493 yards and 3 TDs when EVERYONE on the field knows who's getting the ball.
Wussy? He's played in all but 1 game in the last 2 seasons with 274 catches. So how do you measure "wussy"?

I'm guessing your emotions showed up for your statement rather than your brains.

Edited by Mid Iowa
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

No show? 5 playoff games, 493 yards and 3 TDs when EVERYONE on the field knows who's getting the ball.
Wussy? He's played in all but 1 game in the last 2 seasons with 274 catches. So how do you measure "wussy"?

I'm guessing your emotions showed up for your statement rather than your brains.

tenor.gif?itemid=14626844

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Point stands. Dudes a super sour puss who cries every time he holds a L. Nothing humble about that sore loser. 

• Like 1

Definitely weird to have to put down Mike for the season he just had, but this definitely should have been CMC. The dude's season just exemplified exactly what an offensive machine is. And considering the disparity in the amount of TDs scored between the two, this should have been CMC. 

Well deserved award for Michael Thomas this season. He just had one of the best seasons by a WR in NFL history, and I'm happy to see he is getting the recognition he deserves for it (2nd WR to ever do it with Jerry Rice being the other). The records and production he put up this year are very impressive, but what really elevated this season for me was him not missing a beat with 2 different starting QB's throwing him the ball this season. Drew Brees getting injured in Week 2 easily could have derailed our season, but Michael Thomas stepped up big when Teddy Bridgewater was behind center. There was always a bit of a narrative prior to this season about how much he benefits from Drew Brees throwing him the ball, Thomas had no problem putting that silly narrative to rest. Then to go into the playoffs with a broken hand and still put up 7 catches for 70 yards definitely shows how tough he really is despite what certain Rams fans might try to tell you lol.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Also, stats are heavily skewed by a few games. Against the rams he did nothing and against the Vikings he was merely a check down machine. Oh well, not sure how the saints lose since they have the best at every position in the nfl. 

The Rams defended him brilliantly. The Vikings allowed him to get 70 yards, so I'm not sure I'd complain about that.

Regarding your last sentence... you've forgotten the refs basically ended the game for the Saints on that "no call". But I'm sure you'll see it differently.

Oh, how'd your Rams' receivers do in the playoffs this season?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mid Iowa said:

The Rams defended him brilliantly. The Vikings allowed him to get 70 yards, so I'm not sure I'd complain about that.

Regarding your last sentence... you've forgotten the refs basically ended the game for the Saints on that "no call". But I'm sure you'll see it differently.

I wouldn't go too hard on him, the poor guy has Jared Goff as his QB going forward, I'd be bitter too if that was my teams QB outlook for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Definitely weird to have to put down Mike for the season he just had, but this definitely should have been CMC. The dude's season just exemplified exactly what an offensive machine is. And considering the disparity in the amount of TDs scored between the two, this should have been CMC. 

This is how I feel as well. Hard to argue against Thomas after a record breaking season, but that award should have went to CMC. 

29 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I rather not make it then to lose. But it’s something you’ve grown accustomed to now I suppose. Heck of season by the saints I can’t hate. Just funny how you could clown that we didn’t make it lol. I rather go 2-13 then to lose to the likes of Kirk Cousins. That is a badge of shame I wouldn’t want on my worst enemy to wear. 

1 hour ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I rather not make it then to lose. But it’s something you’ve grown accustomed to now I suppose. Heck of season by the saints I can’t hate. Just funny how you could clown that we didn’t make it lol. I rather go 2-13 then to lose to the likes of Kirk Cousins. That is a badge of shame I wouldn’t want on my worst enemy to wear. 

Fair enough. We have a different mind set. You think people who get upset over losing are crybabies and not humble. I see that as the ultimate competitor. NO worthy competitor is okay with losing, not a single one!!

You can defend your preference for losing all you want, or spin it how you'd like, but to say the guy is a "wuss", not "humble", and "a sore loser" are things I think you're just conjuring up in your head. But I guess I'm arguing with 1 guy, whereas the people who actually matter voted to award Thomas with an accolade for his unmatched play (fact), record of 13-3 (fact) 1725 yards of receiving at better than 80% catching, better than any other receiver this season (fact).

But hey, things are looking up for your team, you'll get to select your new threat in the 2nd round at #52. Best of luck with that!

10 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Fair enough. We have a different mind set. You think people who get upset over losing are crybabies and not humble. I see that as the ultimate competitor. NO worthy competitor is okay with losing, not a single one!!

You can defend your preference for losing all you want, or spin it how you'd like, but to say the guy is a "wuss", not "humble", and "a sore loser" are things I think you're just conjuring up in your head. But I guess I'm arguing with 1 guy, whereas the people who actually matter voted to award Thomas with an accolade for his unmatched play (fact), record of 13-3 (fact) 1725 yards of receiving at better than 80% catching, better than any other receiver this season (fact).

But hey, things are looking up for your team, you'll get to select your new threat in the 2nd round at #52. Best of luck with that!

That’s so false and you know it. You lose with dignity and you win with dignity. He takes to Twitter and express all his emotions. That is weak. You pad your foe and move on. You don’t cry and spat! No one does that. Not the real champs. You know this bro come on. 

7 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

That’s so false and you know it. You lose with dignity and you win with dignity. He takes to Twitter and express all his emotions. That is weak. You pad your foe and move on. You don’t cry and spat! No one does that. Not the real champs. You know this bro come on. 

Flattering that you follow him on Twitter.

So put your money where your mouth is. I just scrolled through his Twitter page back to January 1 to see if I could find any "cry and spat" comments. None.
I did find several "pad your foe" Tweets. So please, share an example for us all, so we know what you're talking about. (I don't have time to scroll back to Dec 8th to their 2nd to last loss)