Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

Just now, mistakey said:

see above, quoted an actual 424 word sentence 

that's not what wordiness means, nor is it indicative of the vast majority of his writing.

He is known for compact, concise , punchy writing.  In fact, there's even paid software called... wait for it... Hemingway; its purpose is to highlight your overly verbose (wordy) writing.

His collective writing averages almost 7 words per sentence less than the average across western English literature.  

You are simply and objectively wrong.  That doesn't mean you can't dislike Hemingway.  But it's like you are saying someone is the greatest runningback of all time because they had 1 93 yard touchdown run with 8 madden stick-style jukes, and 23 broken tackles,  when they actually had a career average of 1.3 yards per carry on 1000 touches with 2 total TDs.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Laugh track or live audience. The point was I get very annoyed when I hear an audience laughing, whether live or not.

Generic laugh track, I tend to agree, although it doesn't bother me much as long as the comedy is good.  Laugh tracks are the show trying to tell you where to laugh, and while the live audience has that to a degree, you can also get genuine authentic responses from a live audience that can really enhance a scene in my opinion.  A classic example is the Cheers episode where they are all at Cliff's for Thanksgiving dinner and the food fight breaks out.  The genuine audience reaction to that scene absolutely heightened it in my opinion, and there were several times Friends had a similar result.

1 minute ago, SlevinKelevra said:

that's not what wordiness means, nor is it indicative of the vast majority of his writing.

He is known for compact, concise , punchy writing.  In fact, there's even paid software called... wait for it... Hemingway; its purpose is to highlight your overly verbose (wordy) writing.

His collective writing averages almost 7 words per sentence less than the average across western English literature.  

You are simply and objectively wrong.  That doesn't mean you can't dislike Hemingway.  But it's like you are saying someone is the greatest runningback of all time because they had 1 93 yard touchdown run with 8 madden stick-style jukes, and 23 broken tackles,  when they actually had a career average of 1.3 yards per carry on 1000 touches with 2 total TDs.

What are you talking about thats not what Wordiness means? Literally the definition of

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

What are you talking about thats not what Wordiness means? Literally the definition of

here's a source that is maybe on a level you can understand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbosity

" Verbosity or verboseness is speech or writing that uses more words than necessary, e.g. "in spite of the fact that" rather than "although".[1] The opposite of verbosity is plain language. Some teachers, including the author of The Elements of Style, warn against verbosity; similarly Mark Twain and Ernest Hemingway, among others, famously avoid it. Synonyms include wordiness, verbiage, prolixity, grandiloquence, garrulousness, expatiation, logorrhea, and sesquipedalianism. "

a long sentence composed of a lot of run-ons/comma splices/independent clauses/etc  is not necessarily wordy.   Wordy means using more words than needed to convey the same information.

it is literally the opposite of what Hemingway is known for.   

I challenge you to take that 424 monstrosity (of construction) and find words in it that are actually UNNECESSARY with respect to conveying the information he wishes to.  I suspect your answer will be ... "but bro! 424!"

Thanks for revealing that you read 1 page of his work, didn't like it, and formed a misguided opinion.

5 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

here's a source that is maybe on a level you can understand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbosity

" Verbosity or verboseness is speech or writing that uses more words than necessary, e.g. "in spite of the fact that" rather than "although".[1] The opposite of verbosity is plain language. Some teachers, including the author of The Elements of Style, warn against verbosity; similarly Mark Twain and Ernest Hemingway, among others, famously avoid it. Synonyms include wordiness, verbiage, prolixity, grandiloquence, garrulousness, expatiation, logorrhea, and sesquipedalianism. "

a long sentence composed of a lot of run-ons/comma splices/independent clauses/etc  is not necessarily wordy.   Wordy means using more words than needed to convey the same information.

it is literally the opposite of what Hemingway is known for.   

I challenge you to take that 424 monstrosity (of construction) and find words in it that are actually UNNECESSARY with respect to conveying the information he wishes to.  I suspect your answer will be ... "but bro! 424!"

Thanks for revealing that you read 1 page of his work, didn't like it, and formed a misguided opinion.

Na,  ive read a couple of his stuff.  Sun also rises.  Was also overrated.  Farewell to arms was so boring had to put it down.  Read his stuff on how to write.  Cant believe anyone likes this guy.

16 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Na,  ive read a couple of his stuff.  Sun also rises.  Was also overrated.  Farewell to arms was so boring had to put it down.  Read his stuff on how to write.  Cant believe anyone likes this guy.

what does liking or disliking him have to do with your objectively false claim that he was "wordy"

?

i will be completely honest though i was taken aback by how miserable his intro to farewell to arms was. i thought it was going to be free of run ons, straight to the point and got to the meat.  it was not at all.  objectively it was not.  i gave up on him shortly thereafter.